Jackets

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 12:08 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Jackets

I'm looking into possibly getting a jacket for riding, but am overwhelmed by the choices out there. I do mostly dirtroad riding with some regular paved road riding. I don't do much offroad riding yet. So with that said, what kind of jackets do you guys wear while riding? I'm looking for protection and comfort (cool in the summer temps and durability/protection for when I inevitably god down
I'm not against paying up for quality, so all suggests and help are welcome and appreciated!!

Old 03-03-2013, 12:44 AM
1st Gear Member

I have a ballistic mesh jacket with armour in it. It also has a "windproof" liner for cooler temps. Mines a road oriented jacket from Joe Rocket. I only wear it above 50ºF.
When I ride off-road, I often just wear my armour and a shirt, with a light jacket to get to the trail.
My everyday riding jacket is a FirstGear touring jacket. It has a liner and almost 20 pockets, but only 4 vents. Not good when on the trails and working to keep on the bike, way too hot. But even in Summer I wear it because it's waterproof and as long as I'm moving, is cool enough, plus it has 18 waterproof pockets and an underhelmet hood to keep the rain from running down your neck.
I've got multiple leather jackets too. One crash tested. All of them 20+ years old.
IMO, you're jacket should have some elbow and back armour. Other than that it's about what you like and fits you and your climate.
Check out Aerostitch, they have tons of styles. Klim has some sweet off-road oriented stuff. Neither are cheap.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Just went through the same thing... After looking at Klim, BMW, Joe Rocket, etc., I ended up with a TourMaster Flex 3. Padding is well positioned, and embedded in the mesh inner jacket, which would be great in the summer. Zip it into the rest of the jacket for lower temps. Way less than I expected to spend.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:27 AM
drm
1st Gear Member

If you are not in a hurry, online forum classifieds are a sweet way to grab some nice gear for a good price. I chose darien light jacket and pants with some forcefield armor front and back pads. Found some sidi discovery rain boots and now I need a ds helmet to get set for a while till I figure out how much hard core offroad I will do.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Spine protector! *Whatever you select for your local climate, and your riding style, make sure your spine is protected. One of my former riding crew who's now a paraplegic will tell you the same thing.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:31 AM
1st Gear Member

I bought a River Road jacket from Cycle Gear last year. It's got a nice fit and style for a dual sport rider. The padding is adequate for a bike that tops out at 80 mph. But I really like all the ventilation zippers. It makes wearing a heavy jacket in the summer bearable.

http://www.riverroadgear.com/cruiser.html

Old 03-03-2013, 02:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow, thanks for all of the advice guys!! I'm definitely looking for all of the protection that you all mentioned. I'm thinking that I should probably start by going to a local shop and trying some styles on. I'm in PA, so I need something that's probably a 3-season jacket. Hot summers and cool spring and fall. I didn't do any riding this winter...
What do you guys have to say about the length of the coat? Is shorter better than longer (or vice versa), so it doesn't bunch up and get all in your face?
Thanks again for all of the help!!

Old 03-03-2013, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Scorpion XDR Commander Jacket - $179.95 closeout special! In stock NOW! :: MSRP: $339.95

I think the Scorpion XDR Commander jacket (especially on closeout) is a GREAT bargain. Buy at least one size up; they run small. If you're on/off road, IMHO, textile is the only way to go. Plenty of pockets, zippers, adjustment. Comes with water"proof" liner and a thermal liner. I wear it in the "teens" on the street, with no problem. Could use a bit better ventilation for very hot temps. (But then, I'm probably not riding...I can handle condensation inside my helmet--in cold weather...but detest sweat rolling down my face--in very hot weather.)
Let us know what you get!! Post a pic; we're always looking for good product reviews.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeffzx9
If you're on/off road, IMHO, textile is the only way to go.
I second that! It took me years of cleaning & maintaining leather, and dealing with it leaking in the rain, before I finally went textile when I got into dualsport. I'll never go back!
The abrasion resistance of many textiles is excellent, though still not as good as leather, but integral armor helps compensate for that.
The technology of many fabrics is also incredible, performing multiple tasks of keeping the rider protected, dexterous, dry, warm, and vented all at once.
Regardless of leather or textile, you're going to find dual sport riding hard on gear due to the dust that works it's way into the seams and abrades the stitches. The rocks & branches you tend to encounter off road gradually destroy gear faster than on the street.
You'll also probably sweat a lot more off road and this too will mean you'll be cleaning it and replacing it more frequently than street gear.
Removable linings are also a feature I'd never be without.
Originally Posted by Jage
What do you guys have to say about the length of the coat?*
I'd allow more length than you might typically find in a casual jacket. It'll tend to hike up a bit when you reach for the bars and you still want your lower torso protected.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:20 PM
1st Gear Member

been great...removeable liner for hot days...warm enough in the cold winter winds of 30 degrees highway riding at 75-80 mph...very durable...built in removeable hydration...no crash test to report...*knock on wood*

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...Fap_Qgod-nsASQ

Last edited by ahnh666; 03-03-2013 at 04:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Jackets