It's that time

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 05:07 AM
1st Gear Member
Default It's that time

Well it's that time of year again.

Time to give her a bit of lovin'

Once a year I strip her down and clean, check and lube everything.

I can't ride for a few weeks so I'm doing it a month early.

Name:  PICT0002-1.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  48.3 KB

Name:  PICT0003-1.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  45.7 KB

Heh Deej, are you sitting down?

There's dirt!
Dirt in places you can't normally see but you know it's there!

Old 05-31-2008, 05:40 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: It's that time

Dude!!! You are hardcore man. Please post a picture after you get it all back together so I can sleep again.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:19 PM
1st Gear Member

When Your done cleaning everything, send Deej the dirty toothbrush for evidence of a job well done.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 06-01-2008, 12:12 AM
1st Gear Member

That's not acceptable. Send all the dirt in zip lock bags and label which area it came from. Deej has an entire forensics lab for this sort of thing

Have you put many more miles on the WR?

I test rode one the other day at a bike fair. All in all, a prettyslick machine. Its repsonse off the bottom end was much more immediate than the EFI Japanese 'D-tracker X'...it kind of felt like my pumper. When you whack open the throttle, The KLX felt pretty linear all the way to the redline wheras the WR kind of had this mid range rush, then sort of tapered off as it climbed toward the redline. I have a feeling this could be quickly remedied by opening the airbox, installing a slip-on and using a power commander or equivalent.

I loved the supsension on both bikes. Kawasakifinally woke-up and gave their motard model a stiffer supension. It felt very sorted over all types of surfaces and no longer has that ridiculous amount of nose dive prevalent on the 06/07 models.

ORIGINAL: a16tony

When Your done cleaning everything, send Deej the dirty toothbrush for evidence of a job well done.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 06-01-2008, 12:31 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tremor38

That's not acceptable. Send all the dirt in zip lock bags and label which area it came from. Deej has an entire forensics lab for this sort of thing
[sm=funnypostabove.gif][sm=goodidea.gif]

I would not have the heart to tear downthe KLX that much. I've already gotten my practicein with tearing into the engine's top.

If it isn't broken, I haven't tried hard enough. If its broken, it wasn't designed correctly.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:09 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LearjetMinako

I would not have the heart to tear downthe KLX that much. I've already gotten my practicein with tearing into the engine's top.

If it isn't broken, I haven't tried hard enough. If its broken, it wasn't designed correctly.
Haha! I'm usually OK with that sort of thing, but I'd much rather be riding than wrenching. If I had a garage and enough space to keep all of the necessary tools, it might be different. As it is now, I'm improvising at every corner, which makes any repairs take that much longer.

My bike has justpassed the 24km mark, so I'm gonna have the dealer do somer routine checks. His mechanic usuallydoes the workwhile I wait and always has the bike ready to roll in under an hour. The clutch basket and primary gears are starting to make somenoise, so I might have him go ahead and change that out. I'll probably have him check the cam chain and tensioner as well.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:16 PM
1st Gear Member

1100 miles. Wanted to throw a 46 sprocket in the rear, but I read this messes with the speedo. Speed sensor is on the tranny not the hub.

Any magical fixes?

Old 06-01-2008, 03:52 PM
1st Gear Member

1100 miles. Wanted to through a 46 sprocket in the rear, but I read this messes with the speedo. Speed sensor is on the tranny not the hub.

Any magical fixes?
It can't be worse then the factory KLX-250S speedometer error. I read at least 5MHP fast in every gear. At this point, I judge the speed by the engine sound and tachometer reading in top gear.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:26 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

1100 miles. Wanted to through a 46 sprocket in the rear, but I read this messes with the speedo. Speed sensor is on the tranny not the hub.

Any magical fixes?
Look for a setting in the digital odo where you can change the calibration, most should have something like this. My KTM odo has a setting where you can set the front wheel size - if you are running a 17" SM wheel, it will rotate faster than a 21" dirt and throw off speed and distance. So you have the ability to set the wheel size (perimeter) in mm. I'd be surprised if the WR didn't have something similar.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:58 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sid Post

Any magical fixes?
It can't be worse then the factory KLX-250S speedometer error. I read at least 5MHP fast in every gear. At this point, I judge the speed by the engine sound and tachometer reading in top gear.
All four of my kawai's have been 10% off, but the ODO has been dead on. The WR seems to be the same.

Quick Reply: It's that time