Its official

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 01:16 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Its official

I am going to be the newbie on the block for a long while.

I plunked money down on an a 2006 today. It looks to be a nice bike.
I have not ridden for many years. I no spring chicken any more at 42 but I am ready for the new adventure and learning experience.

I will be reading up on the bike here and asking questions to be sure.
I am an avid road bicyclist so the KLX will help me scout new loops. Lots of great dirt roads to explore too.

I bought it mainly to save money and commute with it. I will be doing a rack and bags for shopping as well. I like the cycleracks but they are pretty big looking on this bike.

Np sprocket changes or changing jets here as I am going to be trying to maximize MPG for the most part. Lots of 25-45 local roads. About 10 miles of highway one time per week.

I look forward to learning about the bike.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:01 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

No spring chicken?!!!...LOL!...there are older KLX riders here who are enjoying the heck out this bike. At 60 years old, I'm one of them. It's a great bike to get back into it with. And you got a great model in the '06...same for me. It's got a bit more suspension travel, and is a little more like the KLX300R pure off road model. I was out of serious dirt riding for quite a few years too. It'll come back to you, and even if you don't recover all of your lost skills...and you probably won't...you'll have a blast anyway. It's not all about racing and being the next Dakar winner. It's about fun and adventure. Have some.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:17 AM
1st Gear Member

42, welcome youngster!

Old 03-21-2012, 02:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Iam 42 also and have the 06, imagine that. If you change anything on the bike(if it has stock gearing) change the rear sprocket to 45 tooth. with the stock 42 tooth it struggles to go up steep grades in 6th gear.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
42, welcome youngster!
Well, 43 in 6 weeks!

How do you like your cyclerack? I may go that way. I want to be able to load it up. Although the happy trails with the pannier set up is very nice too. I like the weight lower...

Old 03-21-2012, 02:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the new bike! Believe it or not, I'm also 42. I bought my KLX in '07 and it was my re-introduction to dirt riding. I grew up riding dirt bikes, but when I went into the Navy after high school I got out of motorcycles completely. Unfortunately it wasn't until 2004 that I got my first streetbike. After several years of exploring what seems like about every mile of pavement in a several hundred mile radius of home, I was itching for new adventures. Enter the KLX250S... It opened up a whole new world of gravel roads, trails and sand dunes, and I can still commute or ride the twisties on it. A great bike!!!

Enjoy your new bike, and don't forget to take it out in the dirt and flog it, this bike can handle just about anything you can dish out.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stephenmarklay
I am going to be the newbie on the block for a long while.

I plunked money down on an a 2006 today. It looks to be a nice bike.
I have not ridden for many years. I no spring chicken any more at 42 but I am ready for the new adventure and learning experience.
I'm 43 and just got my KLX a few months ago after a 20-year hiatus. I'm lovin' it!

Old 03-21-2012, 03:14 AM
1st Gear Member

BTW, you're all a bunch of old ****s!

Old 03-21-2012, 03:20 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the newbie block. Maybe one day, I will be as well.

TNC
At 60 years old, I'm one of them.
and deej says that I need the blue pills, lol

post up pics of the new ride, set up the suspension and enjoy.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:20 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Oh man!...judging from the numerous reported ages here, what the heck was going on 42-43 years ago?...some kind of nationwide electrical blackout or such?...LOL! Let's see...1968, 1969...must've been some kind of hippy love-in.

Quick Reply: Its official