It's not right

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 02:00 PM
1st Gear Member

TNC, it's been quite a while, so I don't really know if I remember. But, when the shaft starts worming out the race, I got to think it's going to start binding. As I remember it, it was dragging, but that didn't last too long, it went fast I believe. It got to where when you hit the starter it was like a dead battery, the engine would not turn over, it would just sit and clicky clack.

Old 10-11-2020, 09:38 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
I was soooooo pleased when Werner got the 650s going and when Howerton and Smith started kicking some XR butt. There were shades of true street bike based racers again, but AFT screwed the pooch allowing the FTR750 racer, another decade of "XR750-ism" again... bummer. When the FTR started totally dominating I asked Bill Werner what he thought, when at the 2018 Lima race. His comment was, "They just doubled the cost of racing.." The AMA got him to help broaden the kinds of bikes available and bring down cost, then AFT jacks it up again.

I will say that if there was a Kawasaki more like the XSR I'd have taken a serious look for sure. I like the idea that the engine in the XSR/MT is being built and run in flat track, as is the Vulcan/ZX/Z 650 is. I like that. I wish the two factories would put more support in the Production Twins flat track class or else get something competitive for Pro Twins. I want more of a mix of competitive brands in the racing.

As for my bike - in prep for the big race - I have a full Delkvec with the long can to keep the tone good, but low. Got the "quieter baffle" too. There is a group up the road from me, in Bucyrus Ohio, that apparently are the kings of twins, working with the older Hawk GTs, SVs, and the Yamaha FZs - Hordpower. They do their air box, which looks like a kind of a plate that may deflect engine heat and fits a couple K&N filters. They also port heads and flash ignitions. But I'm not doing any of that, got enough power as it is. But it would be kinda cool to go all out. If I had some guts I'd get a reflash, but I'm thinking "leave it alone". Delkevic said the pipe I ordered will work with the stock flashing.

What I think my next thing will be is maybe a shock and fork work. I will brag about picking up a new Bell Star with MIPS, I read about the function, venting, and aerodynamics at speed and with some influencing...

Fits like a glove and scored it at about $350. I had given my good HJC to my sister to ride her scooter. I was egged on my my son-in-law, an Indian FTR1200 rider, who got an RSD version in red. Should look good with his FTR. This one will work with the red XSR or the red KLX250 if I ride it in crazy cold.

I wish we could line up. Maybe if I get a light trailer and tow it behind my wife's HRV... never know.
Well, this is scary...LOL! I'm thinking of the Delkevic exhaust for mine. I already have an Ohlins rear shock on the way. Surprisingly the stock fork is quite good even on dirt roads. I never have any luck liking OEM front suspension. I may do some progressive springs at some point, but I'm pleasantly pleased with it right now. The rear is a very mediocre "meh". It's too harsh and not lively enough for my preference.

On the engine, I have a Rapid Bike fuel controller. This thing is quite impressive in that it has true adaptive learning. All I've done now is a K&N air filter, but even before that the fuel controller really smoothed out power delivery through the range. It wasn't bad before, but it seems to perfect everything in the power delivery and will adapt to the pipe later. I've lowered the footpegs, raised the saddle, and replaced the rear passenger saddle with a homemade aluminum plate so that my stock saddle now lets me sit further back more comfortably. My Only Gel saddle pad now increases my optional seating positions. I'll slip on my Shinko 705's when I do a trip out west. Helmet wise I went with a new AFX41.

Hey, one of the guys at the motorcycle shop yesterday told me about a guy with a site on YT about the FZ-07 that has a ton of mods. Obviously not a direct application to yours or my bike, it had some really creative info. He basically turned his FZ into an adventure bike. Probably not necessary now with the advent of the T7, but it's a lighter, naked bike version capable of some good dirt and smoother 2-track. It's funny how he has done some of the stuff I've done. The guy's YT site is called "Jake the Garden Snake". Sounds crazy, and I thought maybe he was crazy, but in reality he undertook some very interesting mods. Beware...it's 20 episodes long...LOL!