It's not right

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 02:23 AM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs down It's not right

I need a new starter for my 2009 KLX 250s, not a single one in the lower states according to Kawasaki dealers. No re-supply date available from Kawasaki. I have a 45 year old British bike, a Norton. It came with an electric starter and I can get a new one in two or three days. Good support Kawasaki, never buy another one.

Old 10-04-2020, 03:25 AM
1st Gear Member

I imagine a lot of stuff is backed up with the covid stuff as well. I called my local motorsports dealer here (coleman in woodbridge, va) and they said it'll be 3 weeks before they can get me in to change out tires on my klx250 and it'll be 200 not including the tires....if that makes you feel any better. I decided I can probably stretch my tire another 1000 miles (to 6000 miles) on the stock Dunlop D605 before switching over to Shinko 705's.

Old 10-04-2020, 11:26 AM
1st Gear Member

We have our first KawaKaren!

Old 10-04-2020, 11:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mick-f
I need a new starter for my 2009 KLX 250s, not a single one in the lower states according to Kawasaki dealers. No re-supply date available from Kawasaki. I have a 45 year old British bike, a Norton. It came with an electric starter and I can get a new one in two or three days. Good support Kawasaki, never buy another one.
Ever realize why that Norton starter is readily available and the Kaw not so easy to get? Did Lucas, prince of darkenss, make the Norton starter? Clearly the current starters are not from Norton, click here, and if it is someone's business they will likely have the stuff or be able to make it fast. There is a conversion for a reliable starter and it is aftermarket, go try to find truly new OEM parts from Norton... there is a reason you can get a Norton starter. Seems the Kawasaki starter apparently is pretty reliable. Otherwise they would be readily available.

In the event you haven't , you should have the starter diagnosed for what is bad. You may not need a new starter. I had the starter go out on my Honda Nighthawk S, the brushes were bad. I had the stator slightly turned and new brushes - fixed! Nearly $400 for Kaw starter, $90 for brushes. If an armature is bad you might see if it is repairable, that is the main part that would require a whole starter motor replacement. Electric motor repair services can help with problems. A friend worked in one, turned the commutator surface for me. I'd take a look if you haven't already.

Old 10-04-2020, 12:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Ever realize why that Norton starter is readily available and the Kaw not so easy to get? Did Lucas, prince of darkenss, make the Norton starter? Clearly the current starters are not from Norton, click here, and if it is someone's business they will likely have the stuff or be able to make it fast. There is a conversion for a reliable starter and it is aftermarket, go try to find truly new OEM parts from Norton... there is a reason you can get a Norton starter. Seems the Kawasaki starter apparently is pretty reliable. Otherwise they would be readily available.

In the event you haven't , you should have the starter diagnosed for what is bad. You may not need a new starter. I had the starter go out on my Honda Nighthawk S, the brushes were bad. I had the stator slightly turned and new brushes - fixed! Nearly $400 for Kaw starter, $90 for brushes. If an armature is bad you might see if it is repairable, that is the main part that would require a whole starter motor replacement. Electric motor repair services can help with problems. A friend worked in one, turned the commutator surface for me. I'd take a look if you haven't already.
Yes, my next move is to take the starter out and try and see what is going on with it. I live near Ricks Electric, I will probably bring it there if I cant see anything glaring.
On the Norton Starter, the Prestolite starter IS the OEM starter. It had only 2 fields/brushes and was weak.The "conversion is to add the additional brushes. HD Sportsters of that era used the same Prestolite starter, with 4 brushes, amd it fits the Norton easily. One of the guys in the INOA designed and manufactures an upgraded starter, you can read about it here: Atlantic Green Tech Svc , I have one of those on my '75. OEM parts for the Commando? You can still get them from Andover Norton in the UK, no VAT thank you. Norton Commandos are very reliable if you do the maintenance, like any machine.
If a KLX starter is bad, then a replacement should be available. Could be the Covid mucking things up. Who knows? This is a really fudk#d up year, there was an Emu walking around a neighborhood a mile from my house a few days ago. WTF?

Old 10-04-2020, 12:30 PM
1st Gear Member

100's of 1000's people dead, do you think? Wear a mask !!!!

Old 10-04-2020, 04:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mick-f
Yes, my next move is to take the starter out and try and see what is going on with it. I live near Ricks Electric, I will probably bring it there if I cant see anything glaring.
On the Norton Starter, the Prestolite starter IS the OEM starter. It had only 2 fields/brushes and was weak.The "conversion is to add the additional brushes. HD Sportsters of that era used the same Prestolite starter, with 4 brushes, amd it fits the Norton easily. One of the guys in the INOA designed and manufactures an upgraded starter, you can read about it here: Atlantic Green Tech Svc , I have one of those on my '75. OEM parts for the Commando? You can still get them from Andover Norton in the UK, no VAT thank you. Norton Commandos are very reliable if you do the maintenance, like any machine.
If a KLX starter is bad, then a replacement should be available. Could be the Covid mucking things up. Who knows? This is a really fudk#d up year, there was an Emu walking around a neighborhood a mile from my house a few days ago. WTF?
Isn't Ricks the one that does the stator rewinds and such for bikes? If so, good deal.

If one starter in say 20,000 bikes a reason to stock them? If so, how many do they stock? I am guessing they stock them based on rate of sales... they clearly don't sell to many otherwise they'd have them here. Or possibly they had a couple and actually sold them out. They aren't going to stock crazy amounts. They don't sell like levers and handlebars.

Really odds are some available part will be able to fix the thing. I hope it does and problems are resolved. I will say I ordered a side cover for a Zephyr 550. Took a month, but it did come from Japan, back in 2008. bikes hadn't been in the country for nearly 20 years, but they were in others for a while longer.

Did you ask the Emu what time it was?

Old 10-04-2020, 04:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Isn't Ricks the one that does the stator rewinds and such for bikes? If so, good deal.

If one starter in say 20,000 bikes a reason to stock them? If so, how many do they stock? I am guessing they stock them based on rate of sales... they clearly don't sell to many otherwise they'd have them here. Or possibly they had a couple and actually sold them out. They aren't going to stock crazy amounts. They don't sell like levers and handlebars.

Really odds are some available part will be able to fix the thing. I hope it does and problems are resolved. I will say I ordered a side cover for a Zephyr 550. Took a month, but it did come from Japan, back in 2008. bikes hadn't been in the country for nearly 20 years, but they were in others for a while longer.

Did you ask the Emu what time it was?
I will post the final outcome of this. Fortunately, I have other bikes to ride. Heading into NH tomorrow ,for 2 days, to see the foliage.
I thought the Emu sold insurance?

Old 10-04-2020, 04:22 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
We have our first KawaKaren!
And I want to see your manager...LOL!

But seriously...OP I'm guessing you've seen the brush kit is available as a separate item?...or is that not available either? I asked the head mech at our shop what usually failed on the KLX starter, and he laughingly stated, "nothing". But he added that in reality only the brushes should be a wear item unless the bike was constantly submerged in water. I've considered doing a brush kit and cleanup on my '06 model starter with who knows how many miles on the clock just to attain a perceived peace of mind...since we have no kicker...and I'm out in the BFE.

Old 10-04-2020, 11:48 PM
1st Gear Member

It may not even be the starter at all. The bushing on mine let go and locked mine up about 5 years ago. Being a 250, not really that hard to bump start if you didn't have another bike. I got a new T700 on deposit, they aren't coming in too fast either.

Quick Reply: It's not right