Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 04:30 PM
1st Gear Member

great bike...also maybe look at wr250r...hides

Old 04-17-2012, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
I ran the 250 jug for 6 years Stop stirring up trouble. Stop neglecting your KLX... There are poor kids that dont have dirt bikes in this world and you are ignoring yours.
That's funny right there!^

Old 04-17-2012, 05:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeffzx9
Welcome, Self. Just wondering if your avatar pic is from your 70's motocross days?
Probably some good used bikes out there, too, that would get you riding sooner. If you find any and have questions, we're here to help.
Glad to have you with us. Keep us posted.
Ha, that pic is cropped from a Dinosaur Jr. album cover.

I've been all over Craigslist looking at used ones. Most are 09s and people are asking around $4000. I've seen a random 06 or 07 too, but not much. I could probably talk some people down and will give a try once I get my $ in. Thanks for the welcome.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Self:
Welcome!
I'm 6' 1" and 200#. I installed the guts racing tall seat and re-sprung to my weight which gave me some needed leg room. Something to consider if you need it (particularly springs since this one's made for about 165# rider).
Thanks, man. I'll probably give it some time set up stock to get used to it and then decide what I need. Really, it's been awhile and I'll just be getting back in the grove for a bit. Can't wait though.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:39 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Oh yeah....welcome!

Old 04-17-2012, 07:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Self
Ha, that pic is cropped from a Dinosaur Jr. album cover.
You should have went with it!

Old 04-17-2012, 09:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
I ran the 250 jug for 6 years Stop stirring up trouble. Stop neglecting your KLX... There are poor kids that dont have dirt bikes in this world and you are ignoring yours.
Ignoring it??? I think he's out back right now, WASHING it (again)...

(sorry Deej, couldn't resist...)

Last edited by rgoers; 04-17-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:57 PM
1st Gear Member

I only weigh 160 nekid and in one lap of the last desert race I was in, not sand but 2-3 gear type rocky sage desert, I bottomed out the front end at least half a dozen times hard! This bike is sprung for a 135# child.

The bike rides like a couch but is prone to bottoming.

Honestly, I have not adjusted the suspension from stock settings. The klx is a very nice non-freeway pavement machine. Lots of fun and acceleration for around town.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Self
Guys, I need you to talk me out of getting one of these bad larrys. I used to ride trails and pits all the time when I was younger. Got married, kids, etc... Now, I want a KLX 250S. I'm a little over 6 feet and 190 pounds. Good bike for me to wet my feet with again?
Next you're gonna tell us you're 42... It a great bike to get back into it. I was out for 14 years. I don't need to be the fastest anymore. I just like the fun... and you'll have fun on it.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
I only weigh 160 nekid and in one lap of the last desert race I was in, not sand but 2-3 gear type rocky sage desert, I bottomed out the front end at least half a dozen times hard! This bike is sprung for a 135# child.

The bike rides like a couch but is prone to bottoming.

Honestly, I have not adjusted the suspension from stock settings. The klx is a very nice non-freeway pavement machine. Lots of fun and acceleration for around town.
There's lots of adjustment available in front (from factory soft, to really stiff). I would recommend you tweak it for your next ride. From the factory, like you said - it rides like a well-worn couch...

One of the first things I did to mine was to adjust the front damping 5 clicks out (this stiffens the front). The factory setting was 12 out, which is WAYYYYY too soft for on *or* off road. Setting it to 5 got rid of the dangerous front end dive that happens any time you touch the front brake. Now it behaves MUCH better. This simple adjustment would solve your bottoming issue, I'm sure. It will take you under a minute to make the adjustment.

Quick Reply: Itching