Installing the optional Kick Starter

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 07:44 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Installing the optional Kick Starter

So when I bought my bike the saleman pointed out to me that if I wanted I could install the optional kick starter on the bike.
I saw the plug in the hole where it goes and assumed that one just has to buy the kick starter, pull the plug out and install it. Looking on kawi's site though it seems to be Much More then just that. It looks like one would have to actually install a New Gear Shaft to install it. I think the Kit is like 300 Bucks. Anybody done this or thought about doing it. how hard do you guys think it would be. I'd probably Never actually use the kick starter but it would be a nice feature to have.

LV

Old 08-25-2006, 07:58 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Installing the optional Kick Starter

im pretty sure you have to split the motor, and its pretty involved....

Old 08-25-2006, 09:56 PM

ORIGINAL: LordVngr

So when I bought my bike the saleman pointed out to me that if I wanted I could install the optional kick starter on the bike.

Perhaps you might want to stop by and ask your friendly salesman what needs to be done to install the "Optional Kick Starter" ?

I'd really like to hear what he says.

Old 08-26-2006, 12:49 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Marty

ORIGINAL: LordVngr

Perhaps you might want to stop by and ask your friendly salesman what needs to be done to install the "Optional Kick Starter" ?

I'd really like to hear what he says.

Well if you go out and look on Kawi's parts site I think the Whole kit is 300 bucks and when you look at the Parts it looks like it comes with a shaft that pokes out thru the hole in the side and the kick starter bolts to that. I think EMS_0525 is right about ripping into the engine cases.

I was hoping that for like 100 bucks you got the kick starter and one could just Pop out the rubber plug and attach the kick starter to the exposed shaft But noooooo.

300 bucks and cracking cases. Nope, I dont see a kick starter in my future.

LV

Old 08-26-2006, 02:24 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I'm not so sure that this requires a case split... Those exploded parts diagrams are hard to interpret sometimes...

I'm reading the KLX300R base manual, section 5-12 Engine Right Side...
It sure looks to me like all those parts shown on Kawi's parts diagram will come right out of the case just by removing the right side engine cover. The instructions in the manual seem to indicate that as well. It implies that the entire kickstarter assembly pops right out as a unit, which can then be disassembled into it's various pieces (shaft, gears, springs, all come out together).

Brian, you've got the base manual - is that your take on it?
They even show a picture in the manual of the kickstarter assembly removed, with the engine still in the frame.

Old 08-26-2006, 03:10 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Sorry guys, I'm not too with it today.

It's looks like you could be right about that Kawi. The manual doesn't say the case needs to be split for this job and it looks like that can all be done by removing the right side cover. But I think you'll get a kick out of this - here's what it says about the installation procedure:

Kickstarter Assembly Installation Notes:

* Installation is the reverse of removal.

I checked the supplement and it doesn't saying anything more about it.

Also, it looks like that mythical oil filter screen is just to the right of where that gear goes - looks like it just slides out.

Old 08-26-2006, 03:16 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Oh, yeah I noticed that the day I got my manual, too...
The oil screen is right there. Those diagrams on the Kawi site are great for finding part numbers, but not so great for seeing just how it all fits together!