Installed THE MUZZY!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 05:19 PM
Default RE: Installed THE MUZZY!

I have to agree that the "loud exhaust" systems are only going to hurt us all in the end. We just opened a new riding area here.
Last Saturday all members had their bikes and ATV's noise certified in order to use the facility.
More and more of the Off Road Area's are going to this procedure.
Even the race tracks are now doing noise checks.

Please don't take me wring here, I like the 'muzzy" too but it's just TOO loud even with the so called quiet add-on.
The NOISE issue is very real and not going away. We'll have to play well in the sand box or get kicked out!

As for the performance, I would like to challenge anyone think that they get all this extra HP just by changing the exhaust. Most of us feel the extra HP in our mind due to the extra noise. The "only" way to truley guage the performance increase is on a chasis dyno. You may see a 5% gain which is pretty minimal for the $500.00 spent. Sure the stock pipe is a couple of pounds heavier mostly due to the CAT and extra volume (which is a good thing when you want a quiet exhaust) but I doubt anyone of us can tell the difference of 5lbs when riding the bike.

OK I'm off my soap box............... Sorry If I offened anyone but I just had to state my case for the record books.

Don

I have to agree with djfields. Noise is the number one reason people do not want us to ride. It is the first thing nonriders say when asked about bikes. Check out this link

http://www.sharetrails.org/index.cfm?page=42&story=625

93-94 db is still loud to a nonrider.

[/quote]

Old 03-24-2006, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm also sensitive to the noise issue. I've lived through my harley phase. Been there, bought the tee shirt. Now I ride long distance on the street and like my pipes to be mellow, not loud. I cringe when I hear the drag pipe crowd go by because I know what it's doing to our long term future as motorcyclists.

Having said that, where I ride offroad noise isn't an issue (thank goodness). It's a huge wide-open OHV park with no neighbors.

On the street, my experience with pipes like the Muzzy and Big Gun on thumpers is that they are not too loud with the quiet insert when ridden normally. Ringing them out to the rev limiter is what brings on the disturbing noise.

Old 03-24-2006, 05:53 PM
JC

Just to chime in on the current topic, I have heard a lot of street bikes, cruisers, etc, that are so loud it sounds like they are running open headers when they are at highway speed. Nobody seems to make a big deal about a loud streetbike, the noise makes it appealing and fascinating to many people. Maybe I'm wrong but a Muzzy exhaust on the KLX should be similar to one on a streetbike, not necessarily any louder. I like the way someone put it in an earlier posting, the KLX sounds like a moped with the stock system. I want my motorcycle to sound like a motorcycle, so as soon as I rejet the carbs, I'm ordering a complete exhaust system.

Old 03-24-2006, 06:17 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Open Request for Pending Muzzy Owners

If you currently have the stock muffler, but will soon have the Muzzy pipe, I have a request. Could someone with their stock pipe please record the sound of their bike using a controlled experiment, both the stock pipe, and then the Muzzy after installation. Here is what I would propose:

[ul][*] Use the same microphone and recorder for both recordings; try to use a recorder/microphone that will not automatically amplify or reduce the recording volume depending on the sound level. If you don't have that, just use what you have, anything is better than nothing.
[*] Position the microphone the same distance and position from the muffler exhaust port for both recordings - use a tape measure. If the front wheel of the bike is at 12:00, I'd recommend 10 ft off the rear of the bike at the 4 o'clock position. Actual position is less important than consistency between the two samples.
[*] Wait until the bike warms ups; cycle the engine from idle for 10 seconds, 4000 RPM for 10 seconds, 6000 RPM for 10 seconds, back to idle for 10 seconds.
[*] Do that for the stock pipe, then the Muzzy.
[/ul]

Those of use who are on the fence with the Muzzy should be able to determine the level of sound increase by comparing the recording of your stock muffler with that of the Muzzy.

I know this is a lot to ask, but I for one would be eternally grateful. The controlled conditions are very important, otherwise the comparison will be meaningless.

-Brian

Old 03-24-2006, 06:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Actually I have been working on that very thing. My Muzzy should be here any day so I will be able to do this. However, I have know idea how to put the recording on this site or any other site that alot of people can get to it, without alot of hassle. Any thoughts on this??

Old 03-24-2006, 06:34 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gravy Train

Actually I have been working on that very thing. My Muzzy should be here any day so I will be able to do this. However, I have know idea how to put the recording on this site or any other site that alot of people can get to it, without alot of hassle. Any thoughts on this??
If you make a recording, we'll post it. I can store it on my website and link to it from here.

Old 03-24-2006, 08:59 PM

I have to agree that the "loud exhaust" systems are only going to hurt us all in the end. We just opened a new riding area here.
Last Saturday all members had their bikes and ATV's noise certified in order to use the facility.
More and more of the Off Road Area's are going to this procedure.
Even the race tracks are now doing noise checks.

Please don't take me wring here, I like the 'muzzy" too but it's just TOO loud even with the so called quiet add-on.
The NOISE issue is very real and not going away. We'll have to play well in the sand box or get kicked out!

As for the performance, I would like to challenge anyone think that they get all this extra HP just by changing the exhaust. Most of us feel the extra HP in our mind due to the extra noise. The "only" way to truley guage the performance increase is on a chasis dyno. You may see a 5% gain which is pretty minimal for the $500.00 spent. Sure the stock pipe is a couple of pounds heavier mostly due to the CAT and extra volume (which is a good thing when you want a quiet exhaust) but I doubt anyone of us can tell the difference of 5lbs when riding the bike.

OK I'm off my soap box............... Sorry If I offened anyone but I just had to state my case for the record books.

Don
First off the db for AMA compitition is usually the same as the forest service and that ranges from 96db to 99db(depending on the state) measured 20 inches away from the exhaust at half maximum rpm. I have the muzzy full system and I have been out at the MX track the last 3 weekends, the completely stock 250f's and 450f's are way louder than our bike with the muzzy on, and them being stock bikes they must conform to AMA rules coming from the factory or the AMA outlaws that particular bike, therefor protecting riders so that they can race with a bike right off the showroom floor. I think your just judgeing the loudness in comparison to the stock pipe which is in stealth mode. So my point is that those MX bikes are rated below 96db's and they are louder than our bike's I think we are safe. When I go threw the scretenearing process at the races at the end of april we'll find out for sure.

Example from Dirt rider Magazine

Honda crf 250x:
stock: 87.1 db's
fmf ti q: 91.2 db's
pro curcuit 496: 92.2db's

Yamaha wr250f:
stock: 87.7 db's
Wht bros E2: 93.8 db's
Procurcuit 496 96.0 db's
fmf ti q: 95.5 db's

Also many dyno run tests have prooven that after market unrestrictive pipes have indead improved hp's from 1.5 to 5hp depending on the set up of the bike. Also on klx thats when I noticed the biggest chainge not because I can hear the rev's but because it's far easier to raise the front wheel to blitz threw the whoops at the local MX track. And it has about 20% more get up and go. Beside the stock head pipe is the same as trying to suck Ice cream threw a straw.

As for the whole weight issue every ounce counts brotha! threw all the mods and hacking I have done to the bike I have dropped the weight by 29 lbs. I took three more pounds off since I last posted the weight, by removing wiring, frame mounts, helmet lock, air injection plumbing, and the fan. 29 pounds is alot of weight when your talking about off road bikes, now my bike weighs about the same or less than it's sibling the 300r.

I really think you have been listening to many penny pinchers talking themselves out of buying a new exhaust system. I know you have the muzzy don't listen to the nay sayers, do your own experiment, Re-jet your carb to stock pipe settings, with stock pipe go hit a technical section along with a speed section. Then go back to aftermarket settings, and do the same. Compair your zero to 60 times and your ability to get the front wheel up when you need it. Then make your assumption instead of listening to others. But hey you don't even have to listen to me if you don't wan't to just trying to throw you a bone.

Old 03-24-2006, 09:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like your mouth is as loud as your exhaust!
I won't waste anymore of my time as the "shadetree" experts/professionals have corrected the rest of us.

Old 03-24-2006, 09:45 PM

Sounds like your mouth is as loud as your exhaust!
I won't waste anymore of my time as the "shadetree" experts/professionals have corrected the rest of us.
Thank's for the slam, I like it! but if your going to chime in with your 2 cent's at least give up some debate or counter information. Come on dude at least a shred of coherant thought. These forums are great for this kind of argument but your not arguing, I didn't write the post to dog on anybody it's just info. If you can't handle a small debate don't follow any forums.

Old 03-24-2006, 10:25 PM
1st Gear Member

This has ALWAYS been a very respectable / informative forum since it's conception.
Thanks to all who have kept it that way!
I refuse to involve my 25 year Powertrain Development career in such a useless debate.

We need to spend our time riding opposed to sitting on a PC

Quick Reply: Installed THE MUZZY!