Installed THE MUZZY!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 03:30 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Installed THE MUZZY!

Ordered the Muzzy full system today! Can't wait!

Old 03-16-2006, 04:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Dose anybody know of any other muffler that is quiet. I live in long island N.Y. and every inch of this place is owned by someone and so I have to ride in stealth mode..their is a lot of trails on the east end of the island but I don't want to draw any attention to myself If I don't have to. The MUZZY looks SWEET.. but I know its going to be too loud.. any info would be great..

Old 03-16-2006, 05:49 AM

I think the FMF "Q-series" is supposed to be fairly quiet, but still have a much deeper tone. I think keeping hte stock header will also keep the noiase down, but you won't see the performance gains.

Old 03-21-2006, 04:50 AM

Argggg, I really want to get this Muzzy SYSTEM!!, its just that I ride on some trails too that I'm technically not supposed too. Does this bike now sound dramatically differant even with the spark arrestor and the Quiet insert in?? I heard that its also safer to ride a bike that is loud so that people know you are there, which is true. Ok, tell me this, if I am riding up on Forest sevice roads in North Georgia (which I can legally do), do you think that I will get in trouble for any reason for having the exhaust too loud even with quiet insert in it?? If not then I'm Grabbing this baby up!!

Old 03-21-2006, 04:56 AM

I personally would not ride wihtout the spark arrestor or quiet insert. It's loud enough to complete with "ricers" in Honda Civics with big fart cans. (see previous post with picture of small boy holding his ears). I haven't heard this bike from a distance. I wish I had a riding buddy so I could switch bikes and hear him ride by. It's definitely quieter than a typical Harley or Sportbike with aftermerket exhaust.

I doubt it would eb considered too loud for trails that motorcycles are legally allowed to ride on. I'm sure plenty of trail bikes and ATV's have aftermerket exhausts. With the Quiet core and SA it will be a lot quieter than a afull on race exhaust. At my dealer, they started up a KTM 525 4 stroke. THAT WAS LOUD! This bike won't come close to that.

Old 03-21-2006, 05:10 AM

ORIGINAL: motoguy128

It's loud enough to complete with "ricers" in Honda Civics with big fart cans.
Ahahah, fart cans. It sais here that the decibels at "3,400 RPMS" are 93 db, well what the hell is it at 8,000 RPMs, like 130 decibels lol, isn't that a real low rpm to go by. Here is an excerpt from a local place to ride at
"Most stock mufflers in good shape are OK. You must have your vehicle checked with our decibel meter at registration or prior to riding. 96 db is the limit. This rule is absolute! Noise is the #1 reason off road riding areas get closed down."

Old 03-21-2006, 06:58 AM

I guess it depends on how they test it. If you just rev the bike up to say 6000 RPM at idle it's probably under the 96 db limit. IF you're wide open at redline, it's probably over 100 db. You could keep the stock snorkle handy. It you fail the test initally, using the stock snorkle might pinch down the performance and airflow enough to drop the sound level 1 or 2 db.... but you'll be running pretty rich on the top end. It won't effect much on the bottom end.

Old 03-24-2006, 03:36 PM

Just ordered the Muzzy, Decided to be louder and faster

Old 03-24-2006, 04:33 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: incabiker

ORIGINAL: motoguy128

It's loud enough to complete with "ricers" in Honda Civics with big fart cans.
Ahahah, fart cans. It sais here that the decibels at "3,400 RPMS" are 93 db, well what the hell is it at 8,000 RPMs, like 130 decibels lol, isn't that a real low rpm to go by. Here is an excerpt from a local place to ride at
"Most stock mufflers in good shape are OK. You must have your vehicle checked with our decibel meter at registration or prior to riding. 96 db is the limit. This rule is absolute! Noise is the #1 reason off road riding areas get closed down."

I have to agree that the "loud exhaust" systems are only going to hurt us all in the end. We just opened a new riding area here.
Last Saturday all members had their bikes and ATV's noise certified in order to use the facility.
More and more of the Off Road Area's are going to this procedure.
Even the race tracks are now doing noise checks.

Please don't take me wring here, I like the 'muzzy" too but it's just TOO loud even with the so called quiet add-on.
The NOISE issue is very real and not going away. We'll have to play well in the sand box or get kicked out!

As for the performance, I would like to challenge anyone think that they get all this extra HP just by changing the exhaust. Most of us feel the extra HP in our mind due to the extra noise. The "only" way to truley guage the performance increase is on a chasis dyno. You may see a 5% gain which is pretty minimal for the $500.00 spent. Sure the stock pipe is a couple of pounds heavier mostly due to the CAT and extra volume (which is a good thing when you want a quiet exhaust) but I doubt anyone of us can tell the difference of 5lbs when riding the bike.

OK I'm off my soap box............... Sorry If I offened anyone but I just had to state my case for the record books.

Don

Old 03-24-2006, 04:45 PM

SHat, is the muzzy really that much louder even with the quiet insert[:@]. Oh well I guess I will have to live with it. I spent the money for it. Hmmm, so maybe buying the klx header would have been a better deal, I don't know. Should I regret my purchase now, that was alot of money

Quick Reply: Installed THE MUZZY!