Installed Edge2 tail light tonight

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 04:36 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Installed Edge2 tail light tonight

I received and installed my Edge2 tail light tonight. I ordered it from 12 O'Clock labs. They installed their circuit board and installed OEM connectors for the wiring harness. It was a truly plug and play installation. You have to reuse the rubber grommets and metal inserts from the old fender. It was a very easy installation. I also had to reroute and shorten the coolant overflow line.

The only thing I didn't like is the license plate holder is too short for the holes in the NV plate. I'm going to have to McGyver something tomorrow. During the functional check, I had installed the turn signals backwards , that was an easy fix. Programming was very easy, I chose the normal flash. That flash keeps up with the front turn signals. The light itself is under the fender and from up close it looks like nobody could see it. I suspect a car behind me will have no problems seeing.

The photos show the product as I received it, the bike apart, and the bike back together with the wiring harness zip tied to the frame. It looks 100% better without that huge fender hanging off the bike.

There is an excellent thread by Illking which has a great video of the tail light in action, much cooler than I could have done.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=34893

Old 02-25-2011, 11:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Looks sharp. Just did mine last weekend and will also have to figure out a fix for the plate holes not being wide enough apart. Good job man.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:00 PM
1st Gear Member

What I did was line up the plate on the mount as even as I could and I took a marker to where the holes are on the mount. Just drilled it out and put it on, looks good too, you might be able to see it on one of my pictures of my bike on my profile.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by thejackcutts
What I did was line up the plate on the mount as even as I could and I took a marker to where the holes are on the mount. Just drilled it out and put it on, looks good too, you might be able to see it on one of my pictures of my bike on my profile.
I'm trying not to drill any new holes in my plate, but that may be the way it has to go.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I hear ya.
I considered taking a small piece if sheet metal to mount to the bracket and then to the license plate.
But that woulda taken to much time and thought.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:38 PM
1st Gear Member

I pulled the old bracket off the mud flap and did some minor mods to it. This allowed me not to have to drill the plate to put it back on the bike.

I also modified the stock turn signals and was able to reuse these without much hassel.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:59 PM
1st Gear Member

I drilled the license plate. Seems silly that the Edge kit uses some non-standard spacing.

I also reinstalled the OEM blinkers to the edge kit. BE WARNED, the mounts for the blinkers are weak and crappy and will bend easily with any impact. Since those mounts also make up part of the structural support for the edge light system(according to the instructions), you are screwed. I have since removed the rear blinkers and hope to find some flush mounts somewhere.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I wound up just drilling the plate.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey I fitted my edge 2 kit yesterday. I was in the same dilema for the plate. What I done after rummaging around in my garage, was I found some brackets that are used to attach a dish washer to the cabinets. The holes managed to line up perfectly, one from the Edge Bracket allowing me to extend it and one from the plate holes. End result was the plate installed with no drilling.. I was just very lucky to find these little parts knocking around in the bottom of a box. Probably a bit late for you now but useful for anyone doing the same mod. I'm sure you can pick these brackets up as standard from home depot.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Also want to add what I done for the cabling.. The original cabling, i pulled back on itself and back to under the seat, and for the Edge 2 and 601 flashers, I ran the cables back to also be under the seat, where there's plenty of room and also protected from the elements. I just cable tied the runs and used the left hand side to run, away from the exhaust. Worked a treat !

Quick Reply: Installed Edge2 tail light tonight