installed the dyno jet

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 02:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Just did the DynoJet on mine today. I emailed them to ask about altitude settings. I got an answer the next day. Great service!!! Anyway; for riding at 4,700 - 10,000 feet above sea level, DynoJet recommended I go with the level 2 setup, DJ116, 2nd notch on the needle, and fuel screw 2 turns out.

Now here's the ODD part. Once I got the EPA plug removed, I found my fuel screw (STOCK) was 2.5 turns out. Pretty much everybody says their was set (lean) to 1 turn out.

Before I even started with the carb, I ripped out a whole pile of smog stuff. Two canisters, a valve of some sort, and miles of hose (okay, I exaggerated on the miles of hose). Now I can actually reach straight in and grab the choke plunger... no more hoses in the way! Yah!

I got everything installed per DynoJet recommendations. It fired right up after the float bowl finally filled. I'm VERY impressed with the throttle response and the added power. It now pulls in 2nd gear like it used to in 1st gear. No more chugging until RPMs climb. I roll the throttle, and it just moves. It will even pull the front tire in 1st now... never could do that before. I still need to get the KDX snorkel in it... I have one on order. I'm running with the snorkel out for now, but it's a little too loud for me that way.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:08 PM

Just got my dyno jet kit in today. The link to the removal process looks like it will be helpful. Can the dyno jet be done in a few hours or is it an entire days work getting it out and reinstalling it, then tweaking it?

Old 03-22-2012, 07:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Babaloo
Just got my dyno jet kit in today. The link to the removal process looks like it will be helpful. Can the dyno jet be done in a few hours or is it an entire days work getting it out and reinstalling it, then tweaking it?
Removing / installing the carb will probably take the most time unless you're already competent at it. I probably spent 4 hours or so my first run at it, but I was lolly-gagging. If it's your first run at the carb, it can be a biotch, so be prepared to step back, take a break, and try not to throw tools around the shop.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:04 PM
1st Gear Member

If you read up on all the threads that show the installation and familiarize your self with the process, it will be alot easier. It took me about 2 hrs, get the kouba fuel mix screw so you don't have to try adjust the carb in the bike theres little room....

Old 03-22-2012, 08:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I did my teardown after work on a Friday. That took the longest time. I had a hard time getting the carb out. I then did the rejet on Saturday morning which took no time at all. My reassembly went smoother then the teardown. I was probably riding by noon on Saturday.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
I did my teardown after work on a Friday. That took the longest time. I had a hard time getting the carb out. I then did the rejet on Saturday morning which took no time at all. My reassembly went smoother then the teardown. I was probably riding by noon on Saturday.
I think thats exactly what I'll do... maybe a beer here and there while I take it out tonight

Old 03-22-2012, 10:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Mine took between 3 and 4 hours. Most of the time was taken removing the smog stuff! The actual carb removal, re-jet, and reassembly took less than an hour.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:36 PM
1st Gear Member

My dynojet kit install was less than 2 hours. That included pulling the carb.