Increased Travel For Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 04:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Well, it's more the quality of travel (damping) and the stiffness of the forks that you're gaining with the KX or many other forks that you'd be swapping. Just more travel isn't always what you're looking for. My '06 has 11" of travel which is plenty with proper springs and upgraded damping like a Gold Valve kit or such. I really think you're starting off with the wrong bike with an SF if you're wanting very long travel...or maybe your concept of suspension performance and application needs rethinking.
I want the bike to be higher too as well as have better suspension.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Well, it's more the quality of travel (damping) and the stiffness of the forks that you're gaining with the KX or many other forks that you'd be swapping. Just more travel isn't always what you're looking for. My '06 has 11" of travel which is plenty with proper springs and upgraded damping like a Gold Valve kit or such. I really think you're starting off with the wrong bike with an SF if you're wanting very long travel...or maybe your concept of suspension performance and application needs rethinking.
+1 TNC for your words of wisdom. I don't think he needs more travel as much as he needs stiffer springs and better damping. I think his bike is quite capable of handling the types of obstacles he wants to hit, it's just that the suspension wasn't set up with that type of riding in mind. One other thing I was thinking, if he he "raises the suspension", will the ride height increase raise the center of gravity of the bike and rider, thus decreasing the on-road handling and nimbleness of the bike?

Old 05-30-2011, 07:39 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bazzy
I want the bike to be higher too as well as have better suspension.
If you're wanting the bike to be "higher", I still think you've got the wrong bike to start with in an SF. You get an SF to be lower, and as Heavy is suggesting, to have a lower CofG. You need a regular S model if you want a taller bike with more clearance and more suspension...or another bike entirely. The damping and suspension travel on the SF is designed to perform at the height of the SF as delivered. You might go a bit lower and not get too weird in the handling department, but when you raise a shorter travel bike, I think you'll get some odd handling quirks.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
If you're wanting the bike to be "higher", I still think you've got the wrong bike to start with in an SF. You get an SF to be lower, and as Heavy is suggesting, to have a lower CofG. You need a regular S model if you want a taller bike with more clearance and more suspension...or another bike entirely. The damping and suspension travel on the SF is designed to perform at the height of the SF as delivered. You might go a bit lower and not get too weird in the handling department, but when you raise a shorter travel bike, I think you'll get some odd handling quirks.
You guys are funny.