Increased Travel For Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 07:24 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Increased Travel For Suspension

Just toying with some ideas right now. Has anyone swapped forks and rear shock on this bike? Is the SF suspension any different than the S? I have the SF and I want a higher seat height and increased travel for jumping. I know anything can be done but I wonder how hard it would be to swap for some kx250f or kx450f forks/rear suspension

Old 05-29-2011, 06:26 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I don't know...this sounds like it might be an ill advised pursuit. Why not sell the SF and just get an S model if your priority is going to be more dirt related? Like you say, anything is possible with enough money, time, and resources, but why fight an uphill battle with a bike that has been tweaked and set up by Kawasaki to be a motard?

Here's another issue I see with your idea. You mention "jumping" as one of your priorities. In light of that, I think you're already pursuing the wrong bike. Jumping and/or clearing gaps and such require power and lighter weight to be done best. Why handicap yourself with a KLX to beging with? I love my KLX, but it ain't no jumper, and I'm not going to purchase very high end MX suspension components from very late model dirt bikes to upgrade it. The most extensive componenet swaps we normally see are from older 2-stroke KX's to get stronger, longer travel, forks.

If you get an S model and do a Race Tech Gold Valve...or other aftermarket revalve...mod to the fork and shock, then you probably get the best bang-for-the-buck return for off road use.

To sum up, while unlimited funds might make your project idea a fun pursuit, I'm gonna say it will be a lot of money and time for not as big a return. Especially on an SF model to use for what you're saying.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the reply haha I guess I didn't write it out correctly. I meant to say I am always working the suspension on pavement. Sidewalks, ledges, truck docks, curbs, anything in my way really, everything is an obstacle if you're looking for them I really want it to have a higher seat height and better travel. What KX forks are a simple swap? What about the rear? I'd think the front might be relatively simple but the rear might get a little tricky

Old 05-30-2011, 03:20 AM
1st Gear Member

93 ish kx forks, then a longer(?) dog link to raise the rear and increase travel a bit more. i been meaning to do this to my s by my track addiction with my car is kinda expensive.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Yea I see the 95's are 43mm just like ours and about 1 1/2" longer. That's perfect, I'm going to pick up the dog bones 1" raise links tomorrow. So can I relace my stock hoop to a KX hub? Front brake?

Old 05-30-2011, 03:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bazzy
Thanks for the reply haha I guess I didn't write it out correctly. I meant to say I am always working the suspension on pavement. Sidewalks, ledges, truck docks, curbs, anything in my way really, everything is an obstacle if you're looking for them
In case you haven't noticed: It's NOT a BMX bike!

Old 05-30-2011, 03:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
In case you haven't noticed: It's NOT a BMX bike!
You're right, it's a supermoto Don't tell me you ride this thing like a scooter?

Old 05-30-2011, 05:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Some info on putting a KX front end on the KLX:

HOW TO INSTALL KX-250 FORKS ON THE KLX-300

Ride on
Brewster

Old 05-30-2011, 03:13 PM
1st Gear Member

That's a good article but there is no increase in travel, which kinda defeats the reason I want to do it in the first place

Old 05-30-2011, 03:28 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bazzy
That's a good article but there is no increase in travel, which kinda defeats the reason I want to do it in the first place
Well, it's more the quality of travel (damping) and the stiffness of the forks that you're gaining with the KX or many other forks that you'd be swapping. Just more travel isn't always what you're looking for. My '06 has 11" of travel which is plenty with proper springs and upgraded damping like a Gold Valve kit or such. I really think you're starting off with the wrong bike with an SF if you're wanting very long travel...or maybe your concept of suspension performance and application needs rethinking.

Quick Reply: Increased Travel For Suspension