Inches from buying new KLZ250- please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 02:37 AM
Default Inches from buying new KLZ250- please help

Hello all- looking for some advise from all the good people out there. I want a dual sport- was between the DR-Z400 and KLX- unable to ride either. but DR-Z seems to tall and heavy.so the KLX it is, now I just need to make a deal. After seeing the bike in person I have a couple of concerns..BTW- I have not ridden a dirt bike in 35 years- I'm 41- have been on street bikesthe past 25. HOPE THE KLX HAS ENOUGH POWER.. anyone notice how this is the only bike that has the brake line routed to the front of thecalipers and then a very delicate tube attached it underneath the front brake caliper. This looks like a broken line waiting to happen.. what do you think?? also this hose is clamped to the handlebar- in the way of a pad. is that weird?? are pads necessary?? also do you think the exposed radiator hoses on the right sidepresent a problem?? also I have searched the web for front rotor protective covering but have had not luck.. where is the best site for the most aftermarket stuff for this bike.. thanks for any and all help

Old 02-24-2007, 03:22 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Inches from buying new KLZ250- please help

The front brake routing is back from the days when Honda had a patent on routing it the right way. That has since expired & everyone can now do it the right way. Since the KLX is basically a 13 your old (or more) design it has never been updated to the correct way like all the other off road machines have.

The clamp is not necessary, nor is a pad but if you dont run one you must like the feel of a steel narrow bar across your chest .

Old 02-24-2007, 04:37 AM

KLX er thanx for the info-- so wait a minute- I thought this was a "new" bike??? that is one of the things that I thought it had over the DRz400... new technology... guess not.. what do you think aobut this bike for a good street rider- newbie dirt guy, 200lbs over 40??? thanks again

Old 02-24-2007, 04:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome Mikem1965! I have not heard of any problems with the things you describe in the above post. As for the power of this bike it is a little under powered but there is a lot of mods you can do to bring this bike to life.... Pipe, jetting, etc.This site, by far is the best place to get info for the klx. There is a search button at the top of the page and if you don't find what your looking for just post your question and someone will have the answer for you!

Old 02-24-2007, 05:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Depending on what your street rides were you might be underwhelmed at the performance of the KLX, it really is only an 18 hp 290 lb bike (290 "wet" I'm pretty sure someone here weighed theirs). I commute daily on mine spring-early winter, 15 miles one way most of it 2 lane 55+mph. It's my first bike of any kind, dirt or street and I love it. It has enough power to run 70-75 indicated, great for trails, and not enough power to get me a hefty speeding ticket. The best part of it is I can wring the snot out of it and still be legal, whereas my buddy with a GSXR1000 can run 70+ in first gear, what fun is that? What purpose is a 150+ hp bike on surface streets, sure you can open it up if you don't mind the fines later.

It all boils down to what you expect of the bike, there have been several members here who were severely bummed because it just wasn't what they wanted. The X in the KLX is not as eXciting as it is in say a GSXR if that is what you are used to. On the flip side there is a member here who runs a Kawi ZX10 and a mostly stock (last I looked) KLX and he enjoys it for what it is. I've got 2600 miles of smiles on mine and will rack up many more before I grow tired of the grean machine.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Yep the DRZ is definitley a newer design, but even the DRZis not anywhere close to cutting edge of the dirt bike world. I believe the DRZ fork is based on the 96-98ish RM's but without all the good internals, even that design is 10 years old. 13 year old dirt bike technology is "current" technology for Japanese dual sports---kind of funny. You need to go Euro if you want real "current" technology in a dual sport.

Will you enjoy it? Depends on you. If you accept it for what it is I bet you would love it, if you buy it thinking it is something its not you wont. You won't run cross country on it, you won't impress anyone with its power, & it won't win you any races.

If you want a run & get a coke, (short) commute to work to save gas $$$, lets see where this old trail goes, & lets go explore around off road type bike then you'll love it.

If you have other bikes that is good. It means the KLX does not have to be everythign to you. When you have an itch for power or touring you can hop on another bike that excells in those areas.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:17 PM

Mikeem1965,
Iam 49 and ride street and dualsport. With the mods done the 250 klxs will hold its own in the woods. The bike is under sprung if you weigh more than 150 lbs. After market springs are readily available and make a world of difference. The free mods and rejetting wake the bike up and if you put a 13 tooth sprocket on it. The bike will run all day in the sweet rpm range and still give you 50 miles per gallon. The rider makes more of a difference in the woods than the bike does. Plus I weigh in at 250 and I can still wheelie over most obstacles in 1 or 2nd gear. If you want a pure woods bike get a kdx 2 stroke and have a ball , if you want a small dual sport the klx250s is a nice ride. Also check out klrworld.com the have there own klx section with alot of good info. Hope this helps. Duane5157

Old 02-25-2007, 04:39 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: KLXer

Yep the DRZ is definitley a newer design, but even the DRZis not anywhere close to cutting edge of the dirt bike world. I believe the DRZ fork is based on the 96-98ish RM's but without all the good internals, even that design is 10 years old. 13 year old dirt bike technology is "current" technology for Japanese dual sports---kind of funny. You need to go Euro if you want real "current" technology in a dual sport.

Will you enjoy it? Depends on you. If you accept it for what it is I bet you would love it, if you buy it thinking it is something its not you wont. You won't run cross country on it, you won't impress anyone with its power, & it won't win you any races.

If you want a run & get a coke, (short) commute to work to save gas $$$, lets see where this old trail goes, & lets go explore around off road type bike then you'll love it.

If you have other bikes that is good. It means the KLX does not have to be everythign to you. When you have an itch for power or touring you can hop on another bike that excells in those areas.
+1, with one exception. It all depends upon what 'cross country' means to you. I live in Japan, where the speed limit never goes much beyond 100khp(62mph) and 'cross country' might equate to 300-400miles. I've already logged some decent touring miles on this bike, but will DEFINITELY have an aftermarket seat before spring gets here.

I will have to qualify my remarks though. I ride a KLX250H6M (D-tracker). Even so, I have run into many riders touring on small displacement bikes during my trips.