IMS to consider tank for the 09 generation bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 02:38 AM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up

I pulled the tank and looked at what space is available, I doubt you could get much more than a 3 gal without it changing the entire ergonomics of the bike.

Just curious but why would you want or need such a large tank (4 gal?). I never imagined using a 250 for serous long hauls. To me, if you could bump capacity to 2.75 gals and keep the weight significantly lighter than stock, you get the best of both worlds (90+ miles range on the trail, 125+ miles on the road - and less weight!!).

Additionally, if they keep the size manageable you might be able to retain the stock shrouds. This would make the tank color easy - BLACK. It will also keep their costs (and ours) down. If its done right it would not look significantly different than stock.

The more we sort things out (and keep it manageable) the better chance they will produce it. Keep the comments coming and SPREAD THE WORD!

Thanks to all for getting involved....

Dave

Old 06-04-2010, 03:09 AM
1st Gear Member

I want a larger tank too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-04-2010, 03:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Here is the official reply from IMS -

Hi Dave,

So far today I have received 4 emails about a larger tank for the late model
KLX250. I hadn't noticed that Kawasaki changed the tank in 2009. We thought
that Clarke had that bike covered.
It really is a game of numbers; can we sell enough tanks to pay off
the tooling and make a profit? That's the $15,000 question. We will keep an
eye on this and see where it goes. Keep those emails coming.

Thank you for your time,

Chuck Wheat
R&D Manager
IMS Products Inc.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bweekley
redpillar, does you acerbis still use youe stock shrouds or have them molded in?

No, the acerbis tank does not use the stock shrouds, the tank is 3.7 gallons. They are hanging in my shop with the stock tank.which I will use with a Sumo set up if I ever get the rims.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dklogic
I pulled the tank and looked at what space is available, I doubt you could get much more than a 3 gal without it changing the entire ergonomics of the bike.

Just curious but why would you want or need such a large tank (4 gal?). I never imagined using a 250 for serous long hauls. To me, if you could bump capacity to 2.75 gals and keep the weight significantly lighter than stock, you get the best of both worlds (90+ miles range on the trail, 125+ miles on the road - and less weight!!).

Additionally, if they keep the size manageable you might be able to retain the stock shrouds. This would make the tank color easy - BLACK. It will also keep their costs (and ours) down. If its done right it would not look significantly different than stock.

The more we sort things out (and keep it manageable) the better chance they will produce it. Keep the comments coming and SPREAD THE WORD!

Thanks to all for getting involved....

Dave
The KLX is a great bike for long rides. You just need a better seat or a wooden ***. Four gallons would be a minimum. Go big or stay home. I am very pleased with the Acerbis tank anyway.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:15 PM
1st Gear Member

I couldn't even ride 50 miles in the woods without hitting reserve well before the end of the race. This bike is way under tanked and I would love to have an option of upsizing it. Not 4 freaking gallons but 3 would be plenty sufficient to put this bike even with the norm.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I sent in an email, although since my bike is stock I can get 85 miles off-road before I hit reserve. I am kind of suprised how bad millage you guys are getting.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Tom, 85 miles by your GPS or by your stock spedo??
Or both??

Old 06-06-2010, 01:11 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm in. 3+gal and clear please. I will email Chuck too

Old 06-06-2010, 07:26 PM
1st Gear Member

email sent a few days ago, really hope it works this time. i miss the stock shrouds.

Quick Reply: IMS to consider tank for the 09 generation bikes!