I'm still Green at heart ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 06:12 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: I'm still Green at heart ...

Beware of double posting idiots.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:17 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Yep, that's the e-start. The kill switch is to the right. It's real easy to not notice that it is on. Don't ask me how I know that.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:30 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes
I've never ridden a YZ anything, but let me tell you, this KTM has got some *****! I really don't think it would have any trouble. But if that is what you ride ALL the time, you might consider something in the 500's - 525EXC, TE510, etc. The neat thing about this 450 is that you can turn it into a 525 very easily, and KTM also makes a 540 kit that works on both bikes as well. After riding this a few times, I honestly can't think that I would ever need any more power. This is it. I'm done. I don't need anything more ... ha ha, famous last words. Doesn't KTM make a 950 Super Enduro?
Don't get defensive Nobrakes..... I know that your ktm has *****... I do ride a yz250 thru that stuff on ocassion....but its a damn fast and light bike (actually scary when going fast) I was just wondering if a four stroke "enduruo" could actually hang with one. Sure ktm makes 640, 950's...LC4's etc but thats comparing apples to oranges.

And there's no way I would get a husky 510 or a ktm 525 ......... my skills do not warrant such a bike, if ever

Old 03-10-2007, 06:52 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Finger Mullet
Don't get defensive Nobrakes..... I know that your ktm has *****... I do ride a yz250 thru that stuff on ocassion....but its a damn fast and light bike (actually scary when going fast) I was just wondering if a four stroke "enduruo" could actually hang with one. Sure ktm makes 640, 950's...LC4's etc but thats comparing apples to oranges.

And there's no way I would get a husky 510 or a ktm 525 ......... my skills do not warrant such a bike, if ever
Sorry if I sounded defensive, I wasn't. I'd love to ride a YZ. Regarding the EXC, though, it uses KTMs racing four stroke engine, aka, RFS which is a totally different animal than what is in the 640 which is LC4 based. I think that KTM and Husqvarna are two of the few motorcycle manufacturers that finally figured out that there is a niche segment that wants a performance off-road bike that is street legal. If Japan figures this out, or did already, I'd be riding a KLX450S instead, most likely. But if it is not street legal out of the box, I ain't buying - too much hassle to get it plated, and even if you do get it plated, laws can change and you might not be grandfathered and the DMV can come back and take your plate away. No thanks. That's really what I liked about the KLX - it's a plated dirt bike, for all practical purposes.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I didn't read anything defensive in that post. I guess it's just a matter of perception.

+1on it better come out the door street legal. Let there be no gray areas. My bike is a daily driver as soon as the snow goes away so that's very important. I was hoping the KLX450 would be street legal in Japan, but ever since the JN gov't started trying to set the example on green house emissions I suppose that possibility of that has become very remote.

Maybe we'll see a sudden surge in dual sport modelsonce EFI becomes more mainstream.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:22 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes
I'd love to ride a YZ.
Next time ya come to S. Florida (Jupiter) give me a buzz you'll love riding a yz 2 smoke thru the sand. Trust me. It just sucks to kick start...... but my Yammi on my flats boat starts on demand.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:39 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: westcanca

Seems lots of people are getting rid of the underpowered anemic klx20s. I had a klx250s for 3 weeks before selling it and losing $2000 on that deal. Bought a drz400e and man what world of difference, Im glad I found a buyer for the klx250 right away because I was pretty disapointed that the klxs is such a mutt. Even the Super sherpa is a better bike IMO than the klx250s.

For those wanting to buy a klx250, DON"T , they arent worth the money.I recomenda DRZ400S or E.A little extra money spent to buy a drz is worth it.

C\
^%$# off troll

Old 03-10-2007, 04:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Do a google video search of ktm 450 exc and there is a longer (few minutes) video of a guy on a beach and some other terrain, I think its an 05 model but that thing absolutely rips! For example while doing donuts with a foot down in the sand he goes around about 1 full time and then the front just lofts and he keeps going until his foot doesn't reach and then the obvious fall to the inside. I don't know what the bikes online had for pipes but they had one helluva mean bark to them.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:43 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I thnk this might be the video you are talking about. That guy can ride. As to the video itself, my personal preference is to hear the bike, not the music. I can listen to music anytime. I wanna hear the bike!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F1jwc3FuRw

Quick Reply: I'm still Green at heart ...