I'm still Green at heart ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 01:59 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: I'm still Green at heart ...

Just wanted to follow up a little bit on this bike. The exhaust note - it really sucks compared to the KLX + Muzzy. The Muzzy is a warm throaty sound - thump thump thump, deep and strong. The EXC's exhaust is tinny and pfft-pfft-pfft, no body to it. I did the de-restrictor mod to the pipe and that helped, but it's still no where near as nice as the Muzzy note.

Also, the engine is very noisy. We all thought the KLX had a noisy engine but the the KTM RFS engine on these bikes is very much so. Several folks over on the KTM forum have asked if there was a problem with their bike and the dialogue usually goes like this:

"My engine is making a heck of a racket - is there something wrong?"

"Does it sound like two skeletons getting it on in a metal trash can with the lid on? Or maybe a bag of hammers falling down a steel spiral staircase?"

"Yeah, that's what it sounds like, what's wrong?"

"Nothing, your engine is running perfectly normal."

Anyway, I thought you guys would appreciate that.

I commuted to work on it today - handles nice on the road, especially with that high gearing. I got out just a bit off-road today - it has mud on it now. My sprockets came in but it looks like I'll need a longer chain. Off to the shop tomorrow to get one, hopefully, they have some, I generally only buy this stuff on-line unless I need it real fast.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:31 AM
1st Gear Member

I road a couple of older ktm 400s and theywere nice. The only thing I did'nt like was they were so tall. When ever i got into trouble I could,nt step off I fell off. So I have to settle for xr hondas and now klxs

Old 03-10-2007, 04:01 AM

I wish so bad the WR was street legal from the word go, so I could direct compare my bike to yours and tell you how much better it is for $1000 less

I actually found the WR to sound okay with the stock exhaust, but still not good and throaty like the HMF... alas, I will be content. Im ordering a UFO taillight setup soon... Gots to get this beast on the street.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:20 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I just put 13-52 gearing on. I bought two fronts, a 14 and a 13 and a single 52 rear. My plan was to try both and use the one I liked the best. Turns out my chain is too short for 14-52 but it just sneaks in on 13-52. I just took a spin and that makes the gearing comparable to the KLX. So I can use the 13 tooth front and not have to buy a new chain. Maybe when this chain and sprockets wear out, I'll get a chain with a few more links and try 14-52 then.

So ... feeling pretty good now, I've got it rejetted, smog stuff removed, exhaust pipe de-restricted, and gearing set up more proper. It's starting to feel like something I can cozy up to on the trails. Still don't have a skid plate so if I do get out this weekend, I'll be taking it easy. So I guess the last two things (ha ha) are the skid plate and hand guards, then I should be good.

Here are some photos folks have been asking for:

Sorry about the mud, I couldn't help myself.

Black anodized Excel rims:

Hydrolic clutch w/stainless lines, same with the brake:

E-start and kill switch:

Front brake - wave rotor and thoughtful cable routing to limit exposure to rocks and such. Rear brake is a wave rotor also.

The 39mm FCR pumper:

Carb vent hoses route to this catch box. The black line routes up and connects to a frame fitting. The catch box is sealed and the frame breathes so there is no need for the equivalent of the carburetor "T" mod for high water.

Brake and clutch levers have these indents to facilitate break-away in case of a fall. The idea is that just the tip will break off and not leave you clutchless or breakless:

Oversize bar and digital speedo and hour meter. The hour meter will come in real handy for maintenance since most of the procedures on a schedule of hours instead of miles.

It does not have a radiator fan stock, but one is available as an option that is a simple bolt-on. I ordered one because of all the tight stuff I usually find myself in, I'll surely need it - I worked that into my OTD price at the dealer. I also ordered an oversized gas tank when I bought it as well. Gas milage is purported to be not so great with this bike as compared to the KLX. The oversized tank I'm getting is a little larger than the IMS tank on my KLX now, but due to the poorer gas mileage I still won't quite have the range it does.

Overall it is great quality bike with lost of top shelf stuff on it. Very little if anything needs to be upgraded. But it does need rejetted, off-road gearing, skid plate, and hand guards at least. It is also seems to be easy to work on, most of the common things are fast and simple like the air filter - no tools required, just pop off the cover on the left, remove the filter and put on a new one. Since it is designed for racing, I'm assuming that's why these common things are set up to be fast to do.

Anyway, that's my new ride. I'm still getting used to it, but I think I can be happy with this orange beast. My only regret is that it's not green.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Holy S#$%# T Nobrakes... 13/52 is a 4.0 ratio.. you can practically stand still and be pulling!!!! I'm sure that will be great for the trails.

How does it feel shifting?? is it smother or rougher then the KLX for up and down shifting (especially in a tight spot)

I miss the 'butter' feel of the Honda CR shifting... silky smooth... not that the KLX is bad, its actually very good, but the Honda was soooooooooo smooth!!!

Old 03-10-2007, 05:52 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes
It's starting to feel like something I can cozy up to on the trails. Still don't have a skid plate so if I do get out this weekend, I'll be taking it easy. Since it is designed for racing, Ya Gotta go Faster!!!

Anyway, that's my new ride. I'm still getting used to it, but I think I can be happy with this orange beast. My only regret is that it's not green.
I want to see some ripping through some soft sugar sand...... I gotta ride in this crap all rhw time and I want to see a street legal enduro that can actually hang with a YZ250 in this crap

Old 03-10-2007, 05:59 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Yeah final drive gearing sounds high, but that's what it takes to get the 1st gear speed down. I think 1st might still be a little faster than the KLX's stock 1st gear, even so. It's internal transmission ratios are just a lot different than that of the KLX.

Shifting feels good, but I'm still getting used to it. The shifter is small and tucked in tighter than that of the KLX. While neutral is hard as hell to hit when you want it it appears to be easy to find when you don't. I've hit it several times already trying to shift from first to 2nd. It's probably partially that it's a brand new bike and it will take a little bit for the gears to wear in. Also, partially me as I'm still learning my way around it. And some of it might be the oil - they've got a factory break-in oil in it initially and you are supposed to change that at the 3 hour run time point after it has done its job. They say not to let it go because it can cause excessive wear if you leave it in too long. I've got about an hour and a half maybe 2 hours of run-time on it. After that, its full synthetic all the way, 10W50.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:06 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Finger Mullet
I want to see some ripping through some soft sugar sand...... I gotta ride in this crap all rhw time and I want to see a street legal enduro that can actually hang with a YZ250 in this crap

I've never ridden a YZ anything, but let me tell you, this KTM has got some *****! I really don't think it would have any trouble. But if that is what you ride ALL the time, you might consider something in the 500's - 525EXC, TE510, etc. The neat thing about this 450 is that you can turn it into a 525 very easily, and KTM also makes a 540 kit that works on both bikes as well. After riding this a few times, I honestly can't think that I would ever need any more power. This is it. I'm done. I don't need anything more ... ha ha, famous last words. Doesn't KTM make a 950 Super Enduro?

Old 03-10-2007, 06:11 AM
1st Gear Member

That inboard-most switch looks exactly like the KX kill switch I used for my hot start system. Is that for the e-start?

Keep the mud! It adds a nice touch to everyting[8D]

Quick Reply: I'm still Green at heart ...