I'm still Green at heart ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 09:59 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: I'm still Green at heart ...

ORIGINAL: onestarr99
Nobrakes, congrats on the new bike!! I Just have a some questions on your awesome new bike. I know I can find the answer to my questions on other forums but I value your opinion as it close to my own.
Thanks!

1. how is the power?
2. how is the transmission? dose it feel smooth?
3.how is the suspension? soft- hard
4.Is the seat comfortable?
5.Is the exhaust loud or quiet?
6.dose the bike start after it has been sitting for a couple of days? lol
7.What dose the instrument cluster look like? (speedo)
8.Dose it have a quarter turn throttle or full turn?
9.Is the choke a pain in the A$$ to get to?
10. Most Important, can you post some more pics, videos, of your sweet new bike. Would love see more!!
1) Power: it's got some serious giddy up, but I'm still in the process of uncorking. Also, I've been slammed with week with work and family so I've only got one little put around the neighborhood. The stock gearing is super tall - 1st on it is like 2nd on the KLX, I can't really take it off-road with this gearing. Even so, it just pulls super strong. But I can't really comment to much on this yet, because it needs jetted and I need to get the gearing down to a more sane level. Sprockets are supposed to be here tomorrow. Hopefully my chain will fit or that will delay it further.
2) tranny feels smooth, neutral is hard to find, they say this is by design so it is less likely to find it accidentally at the least opportune time like while going up a hill.
3) not enough time on it to assess suspension.
4) seat is hard, I'm getting a custom seat made
5) exhaust is quiet - quieter than the KLX + Muzzy. There is a restrictor on it though - see first photo of this thread. I have not yet done the mod as I've heard at least one person say, "whatever you do don't de-restrict the stock pipe, you will lose low end". Most folks say to do it and it makes a world of difference, all positive. I haven't made up my mind yet. It sounds stuffed up, kind'a like the stock KLX, at least until you crack the throttle some and then it sounds good. I'll probably check the price on that end cap before I decide to do it - if it is not to expensive, I can always get another cap if I don't like it.
6) can't answer about the starting, but the manual does say to drain the float bowl if it has sat for a week or so to make starting easier. I have no direct experience yet.
7) will post photos when I get a chance
8) I think the throttle is a full-turn
9) choke is very easy to get to, if you put your hand on the bottom edge of the gas tank, the choke is right there, don't need to even look. petcock valve is really easy to get to also.
10) will do.

Just as a side note, it is a bit finicky. Last night I flooded it and fouled the plug. I was following the procedure for de-smogging, but the procedure is wrong. It said to cap off the carb overflow resevior after removing the vacuum line from the smog stuff, so I did that and took a little ride up the street where it promptly stalled out when I reached the stop sign and I couldn't restart. I coasted back to my driveway trying to bump start it a few times and it fired briefly then promptly died again. I pulled the plug and check for spark and there was spark but as I cranked a bunch of fuel squirted up from the spark plug hole. I dried the plug, put it back in, then went onto the KTMtalk forum and double checked the de-smog thread. Later on in the thread there are some replies that say DO NOT cap the carb overflow resevior as the carb needs that to breathe and it will flood the bike - now they tell me. Well, pulled the cap off , hit the e-start and it fired back up briefly but I did not keep it running. I tried again but could never get it to fire again. Crap. This morning I removed the plug and checked for spark but couldn't get a spark so I think the plug is fouled. NAPA has the plugs, I think I'm going to buy a bunch of them.

My trusty green KLX never did anything like that to me.

I really hope something like this doesn't happen on the NJ ride or I will be really embarrassed. Kind've like dating the spoiled prom queen - lots of fun and easy on the eyes but do one little thing wrong and she pouts the rest of the night.

I guess I just have to learn its quirks.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:21 PM
1st Gear Member

I 'm sure it's just like you said you just have to learn its quirks. I was just reading a review on your bike in Dirt rider and the gave it great reviews. They said it is a reliable bike. I'm sure you wont have any long term problems. Keep us posted![sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 03-08-2007, 10:24 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

KTMTalk - lots a great info and stickies to wade through. Oddly enough, nobrakes was already taken, so I had to pick a new name. I am "dirtrunner" over there. I have 1 post.
One post?!?? (Don't worry, we all know that you're a "*****" at heart, too! [sm=smiley20.gif])

Old 03-08-2007, 11:12 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Hey brian, im surprised noone asked yet..... What did you get for your KLX? Just curious, you had a good bit of money into it... hope you got some back and it didnt go for around a stock klx price....

Old 03-09-2007, 01:00 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525
Hey brian, im surprised noone asked yet..... What did you get for your KLX? Just curious, you had a good bit of money into it... hope you got some back and it didnt go for around a stock klx price....
Well, the buyer is on this forum so out of respect for his privacy I am not going to say. I am pleased that the bike will stay in the KF family :-) and that its new owner will hopefully appreciate all the goodies.

Yes, I had a good bit of money into it, but if anyone is expecting to get out of their bike what they have in it, that is just not realistic. It's even worse for trade-in since the dealer then has to sell it themselves or at auction and you really get a pitance for it then.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:05 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

Well, the buyer is on this forum so out of respect for his privacy I am not going to say. I am pleased that the bike will stay in the KF family :-) and that its new owner will hopefully appreciate all the goodies.
We know for certain that whoever bought this bike NEEDS the power of the 331 and pumper carb!!

Also, I have it from a VERY RELIABLE source that the person who bought this bike has a son who is CONSTANTLY trying to ride his current bike and the wrestle-offs in the living room are making his wife crazy...

(I think he may surf also......)

Old 03-09-2007, 02:46 AM

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 03-09-2007, 03:40 AM
1st Gear Member

does that mean we'll all get see his 'old ' bike in may?

Old 03-09-2007, 03:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Dirtsurfer, Having two klx,s in one family might make you the new "*****" of KF. LOL

Old 03-09-2007, 03:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Actually I believe that would make him the pimp and the 2 KLX's his ho's.

Quick Reply: I'm still Green at heart ...