I'm still Green at heart ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 07:06 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: I'm still Green at heart ...

so what your saying is that i should not try for the KTM because the KLX will keep me occupied until i am about 20(16 is planned time of purchase). I am just woried that i will get the bike, all money gone, and then be unhappy with it...

Old 03-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rusty FJ

so what your saying is that i should not try for the KTM because the KLX will keep me occupied until i am about 20(16 is planned time of purchase). I am just woried that i will get the bike, all money gone, and then be unhappy with it...
I'm not saying any such thing, you'll have to decide for yourself. For my KLX to get to the point of that comparison took quite a bit of time, effort, and $$$. Compared to the stock KLX, there's absolutely no comparison. And there's also no comparison between my (sold) KLX and the stock KLX. I thought you were asking about the difference between the KTM and my KLX 331cc w/upgrades.

My recommendation would be to ride several different bikes and try them out. I don't know how much experience riding you have but its always wise to start with something that is not too much. When learning, a lot of mistakes are made and the KLX will be very forgiving whereas an MX or enduro bike will not. If this is your first bike, seriously consider the KLX or similar and plan on upgrading as you gain more experience.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:05 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default New oversized tank installed

Have I mentioned the gas milage on the KTM 450 is, ah, how to say this nicely, it SUCKs fuel like it is going out of style. And I mean that in the nicest way. And of course the stock tank is small at only 2.1 gallons. I think I have a little over 60 miles on it and it hit reserve. Not sure how many miles it has on reserve.

I new this when I bought it so I also purchased the optional oversized tank. Here's a before and after, check it out:

Before:

After:

I like the looks of the new tank better and it holds 3.4 gallons and I hear that gives the bike about a 120 to 130 mile range, which is decent enough. I've got the skid plate and the handguards on order and after that, and a few more break-in miles + oil change and valve adjustment , then I think it'll be ready for some more serious off-road trials. So far it's running great and feels great. I just wish I had more time to ride - since I've got it I've been covered up with work, work, and more work.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:37 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: New oversized tank installed

Nobrakes did you order another seat for it? I see another seat on your steps? Who makes the tank and Can you get the gas tank in any other colors? It must be nice to own a bike that has a big after market following. P.S. The tank looks great!![sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 03-15-2007, 04:04 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: New oversized tank installed

Yes, the stock seat won't fit that tank, so it requires another set. They are all KTM parts. The new tank and seat are actually stock on the MXC, from what I hear. The bolt right onto the EXC. Some dealers will actually swap them for you if they have both bikes on the floor. My dealer didn't have the other bike though so I had to order.

Works out OK, though, because as I've mentioned I'm having a Renazco seat made and they need your old seat pan, so this way I'll be able to send them the new seat that fits the larger tank while I still ride with the old seat and tank and thus won't be without a seat while it's being made.

There are defnitely no shortage of parts for it.

IMS and Clarke both make tanks for it, but the KTM 13L tank is larger, fits better, and is not much more expensive. The seat wasn't too bad either, the dealer heavily discounted everything since I was buying a bike at the same time. I think the tanks only come in orange, though.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:08 AM

Trust me you will be disapointed with the klx250s you will out grow its "power" the first hour of riding it.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:24 AM

don't you have anything better to do than talk bad about about the 250. everytime u post on here you gotta run your mouth about how u don't ike the bike. but noone cares, plus u ride a suzuki, so go find a suzuki forum and please quit wastin peoles time on here. you just want attention and u just wanna get an arguement started so i'm just saying, please find somewhere else to talk bad about the bike. noone wants to hear over and over how this bike sucks. so go ahead and leave cause noone likes u talkin like that ALL the time.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:44 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Yeah, also, sorry guys for spamming with the KTM stuff. My KTM friends aren't nearly as cool as you guys, so I'd rather hang out here. Hey, at least I'm just sticking to this one thread and not creating a bunch of new ones.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:49 AM
1st Gear Member

So when are you going to get us some videos like the KLX vids you posted before?

Old 03-15-2007, 05:14 AM
1st Gear Member

dude i am 15 and will probably weigh only about 150-160ish by the time of purchase, i am coming from a Bayou 218cc quad, i highly doubt the power is that miniscule. I appreciate the concern, but i think i will stick to the advice of the more trusted, and respected, members. not to mention i dont really have an extra 2000 bucks to "upgrade" the DRZ, and even if i did i would not go to a DRZ, i would get a loan and get the KTM, it would whoop that DRZ's **** oon any turf.
ORIGINAL: westcanca

Trust me you will be disapointed with the klx250s you will out grow its "power" the first hour of riding it.

Quick Reply: I'm still Green at heart ...