I'm really struggling with........

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 02:14 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: I'm really struggling with........

ORIGINAL: Dragone#19

hmm, to add my thread jack. The stock fi ecu has not been programmable outside of the factory from what I have seen. Sure, add an a/f device to piggy back the stock ecu for $260 and that helps so add custom tuning as mentioned $180. You can also go wideband tuning, add $450. (You can tune the ride yourself with adaptor costs and laptop). If a kit ecu was going to be available, add $1000. Then go back again to a custom tune of $180. I have spent prolly 5 times more on fi than I do on my carbed ride. Kind of depressing to spend more $'s to gain some tuning adjustability using fi.
That's my fear with FI, as I mentioned above, thanks for quantitating the costs a bit more. I guess we need to be careful what we wish for.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:22 AM
1st Gear Member

quantitating???? are you hitting the sauce again Brian?

Old 01-03-2008, 04:16 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lcpl0331

quantitating???? are you hitting the sauce again Brian?
What? That's a word, I think ...

Old 01-03-2008, 04:56 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hahaha, I had to look it up.
quan·ti·tate /ˈkwɒntɪˌteɪt/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kwon[/b]-ti-teyt]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object), -tat·ed, -tat·ing.

to determine the quantity of, esp. with precision. [/align]

Old 01-03-2008, 12:54 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: IG

Well, the new dry weight is just that- it's newly posted. It's news to me that it gained 8 or so lbs. But that's easy enough to eradicate. The whole muffler/smog system can be removed plus the rear fender is more hefty with this bike. But still when I read about 275lb. men riding KLX's in stock trim those 8lbs. with my mere 150lbs. on the bike won't even be noticed.
WOW, I didn't realize that the new KLX increased in weight so much. I just checked my title and it claims a weight of 258 pounds per the MCO, IIRC Kawasaki claimed 262 dry for the 06/07, if this is right, then the 2008 gained somewhere in the area of 16 to 20 pounds?? Where? Can't say emissions, because the CA model is 280+ pounds, so where in the heck is all this weight coming from? I am guessing some of it is in the swing arm, rear subframe and rims, but still that is a lot of weight.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:23 PM
1st Gear Member

277.8 lbs - 262 lbs = 15.8 lbs increase from 06/07 model KLX to 09 (49 state) KLX.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:40 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HeavyFuel

277.8 lbs - 262 lbs = 15.8 lbs increase from 06/07 model KLX to 09 (49 state) KLX.
I can do the math and if you read my thread, I said my TITLE/MCO claimed 258 pounds dry. So, since Kawi hasn't used a .x for its weights before this bike, I rounded up:

Kawi Claimed:

2009 278 pounds - 2007 claimed 262 pounds = 16 pound delta
2009 278 pounds - MY 2007 CLAIMED 258 pounds = 20 pound delta

I do not see the need for your post?

Old 01-03-2008, 06:38 PM
IG

marc- The mathematician's post was probably referring to me but since my last post called him out on him calling IG out on everything, he probably didn't have the guts to post directly to me. I incorrectly listed the gained weight as being 8lbs. but I forgot the KLX weighed 262 and I was thinking it weighed 269. Either way, you know a lot of those pounds can come off easily. That larger rear fender looks heavy. And don't forget they increased the size of the rear brake rotor. You already mentioned the new swingarm, increased diameter in spokes. Looks to be larger plastics on the bike all around and the tank looks heavier too with all it's edges even though it carries the same amount of fuel. How about those pictures? Are you kind of thinking about getting one of the new ones?

Old 01-03-2008, 06:59 PM
1st Gear Member

What is all the idiotic "calling him out" talk???
And why are we arguing over a few inconsequential pounds? I’ll tell you when a large truck passes me the opposite direction I wish the bike were a little heavier, but when my KLX is entered in an AMA sanctioned race then I want it as light as I can get it, but since I don’t race this bike I really could care less.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:00 PM
IG

Well, "heavyfuel" posted the correct amounts in 2nd grade math to someone but did not mention who he was posting to. His post was offensive to marc11 who is a very nice guy. It was posted in a way to belittle others and make others feel dumb or stupid. You know, what I do sometimes. It didn't offend me, but marc did take offense to it and was just telling him he thought it was uncalled for.
As far as "me calling him out", I did that as this new guy "heavyfuel" is somewhat of a gnat. Everytime I'd post something he would have to respond to each of my posts. I thought it was quite entertaining and so I bookmarked him as another IG addict. Seems when a lot of members see IG as the last one who replied they can't wait to see what I've trumped up next. No offense to the guy but I just found it funny that he posted a blanket response with the simple math between weights of new and old KLX bikes when all along he saw my mistake and couldn't wait to point it out but was too ginger about quoting me and making himself look like even more of an IG addict.........that's all.

Quick Reply: I'm really struggling with........