I'm really struggling with........

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 09:09 PM
IG
Default RE: I'm really struggling with........

ORIGINAL: HeavyFuel

ORIGINAL: IG

... They're both 250's with weak carbs, so what do you expect? The KLX is a big time dog in stock trim...
Does this guy ever check his facts before posting?

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr.../features.aspx

First use of fuel injection on a 250 Yamaha on/off-road bike. The system relies on input from a crank sensor, intake air pressure sensor and throttle position sensor feeding a compact ECU to provide optimum combustion.
I was talking the old KLX and the new one on it's way. But even so with the FI in the WR, it's no better than the CV of both KLX's. It basically is just a ploy to sell the bike. How many MXers do you see with FI? One. If it was going to be mainstream, it would've been many years ago. Seems all you want to do is try to incite some sort of argument with me or something.....try worrying about something else other than what IG posts. You're becoming one of them IG addicts too like KLXer and Tremor. And yes, I do know the facts. When I make a mistake, I admit it. I knew about the new WR with FI way before you ever introduced yourself on this here little forum. For a new guy, you sure don't know when to type and when not to. Maybe you'll learn sooner than later.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:50 PM
1st Gear Member

LoL, its a ploy I tells ya!

Prediction, soon all MXers will be FI.

Its so much easier to remap than rejet. Do we really need to get into the FI vs carb debate?

Old 01-01-2008, 09:57 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

But even so with the FI in the WR, it's no better than the CV of both KLX's.
from IG.

I will accept that. Generally nothing is perfect without fine tuning during the first try.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh yea, Welcome Bob!!

Old 01-02-2008, 12:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Most of you should never let your horsepower exceed your I.Q.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"

Old 01-02-2008, 12:13 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: klx250s_rider

Most of you should never let your horsepower exceed your I.Q.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"

hahahaha, I am guilty as charged!
Be nice

Old 01-02-2008, 04:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, it's nothing like the five valve version usedin the off-road WR's. Nowhere near the power either. My impression of the street WR is that it's heavy and pricey compared to the KLX. Less exhaust options as well, because of the EXUP valve. To each his own though.

I saw one at theYamaha dealer about a week ago and I just couldn't get excited about it...expecially when you consider that the price is about 1800.00 more than a KLX. There is a dual sport version of the off-road type WR's offered by an aftermarket tuner here in Japan but there is no way I would pay 10K for a 250.

ORIGINAL: yoman1

ORIGINAL: 2k1w=no$

Yoman1, the wr engine is not new. It is currently being used in a Japan only application.
My Bad, the yamaha website left that part out.

"Fresh-sheet design 250cc liquid-cooled, DOHC engine with two titanium intake valves and two steel exhausts, forged piston and plated cylinder for outstanding durability".

"First use of fuel injection on a 250 Yamaha on/off-road bike".

I still lean to the Kaw

Old 01-02-2008, 04:57 AM
1st Gear Member

I was talking the old KLX and the new one on it's way...

stock rwhp for the KLX is around 18'ish. The yami won't be much more. They're both going to be dogs in stock trim. They're both 250's with weak carbs...

So. Fuel injection is a ploy.

Let's think about this ploy.

Is fuel injection common on modern vehicles or a passing fad? Will carburetors will soon regain their rightful place as the optimal way to atomize fuel and regulate it's mixture ratio with intake air? Why is it that so many newer model street bikes are only available with fuel injection? Why are nearly all cars and trucks manufactured in the last 18 years or so only available with fuel injection? Could it be ever tightening emissions regulations that require more accurate fuel metering and mapping across an engine's RPM range regardless of atmospheric conditions and engine temperature than carburetors can provide? Or is it that fuel injection requires no choke lever to start, will allow an engine to start quicker and produce less emissions while warming up?

Why do (most) motocross bikes not have fuel injection yet? Could it be that they are closed course vehicles that are not subject to emissions laws? Is the WR250R a motocross bike, or is it a street legal vehicle, subject to state and federal emissions regulations? Why did Suzuki develop and release the 2008 RMZ450 with fuel injection (maybe it's just a ploy to help them win races)?

It would seem that fuel injection may not be merely a ploy. In fact it appears to be a growing trend in response to emissions regulations and a demand for increased engine performance and efficiency. Therefore, since we can be fairly certain emissions laws are not going to be relaxing any time soon, that, as time progresses, fuel injection will completely supersede carburetors on nearly all gasoline and diesel engines. We should also expect the use of Direct Injection to become more widespread, as this offers an even higher level of fuel mixture control.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:57 AM
IG

You bring very concrete observations. One thing you forgot though- price. Look at the price of street bikes over the last ten years or so. They have skyrocketed. Fuel-injection is not cheap. It takes lots of effort to engineer a bike for fuel-injection, build it, train techs to work on it, etc. Look at the price difference between this WR"S" and the KLX. There's roughly a grand increase in the price of the WR which has FI. Who is to know if the CV carb on the KLX puts out more emissions than the WR. The KLX has a huge emissions system to burn as much pollutants as possible, only this year passing CA emissions. If FI was going to happen in MX, don't you think Honda would be all over it years ago? I mean, it's not like they couldn't have done it. It's expensive and is not just mechanical which means less reliability. Suzuki has the new '08 with FI- big whoop. Is it going to win any championsips this year with it? I'll go on record with a strong NO! With RC riding it? Yes, but it wouldn't be because of the FI, but because of his talents. FI may be the newest thing that has come to the off-road dirtbike world, but in my opinion, you'll see it go just as quickly as it has come in '08 to some bikes. It's just too risky to ask something like that to power a bike that has so much riding on it like world championships and a ton of money.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:20 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll go on record as stating that we are seeing more bikes introduced with Fuel Injection each year and the trend will continue; price has not stopped technology from progressing in the marketplace.
EFI offers the benefit of more precise fuel metering which enhances performance and reduces exhaust emissions; with the tightening of EPA regulations it won’t be too far down the road that carbureted bikes won’t be able to pass the new standards.
The technology is there that allows manufacturers to build reliable EFI equipped bikes (and they do).

Quick Reply: I'm really struggling with........