I'm broke, and my bike is broke. :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 03:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default I'm broke, and my bike is broke. :(

Well, my motor still has a hole in it.. So I can't ride.. But even worse is I need to go in for surgery on my hand.. I fell off my bike a few months ago and tore a ligament that holds my thumb into it's socket.. So now my thump keeps popping out of it's socket at random times.. Like if I pick up a gallon of milk - it pops out and I drop it.

Crazy!

Anyways, I'm broke, bike is broke.. I'm hoping I'll heal in time for spring time riding!!

Anyone else have this injury/surgery? Just wondering what I have to look forward to.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Dang Larry, that sucks. no injuries here, but I did have a vasectomy a couple of years ago....does that count? LOL

Old 12-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Oh and P.S. I'm always broke....

Old 12-06-2010, 04:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Sucks about your injury. A family member of mine cut the main ligament to her middle finger on some glass. It was severed and she lost all use of it. The doctors repaired it and she gave it time to heal. The finger works fine now. Hopefyully your injury will heal as well as hers did. Good luck.

Mike

Old 12-06-2010, 05:59 PM
1st Gear Member

VERY important to follow the directions re healing process. It will be quite easy to re-injure until it has completely healed. Once it feels fine wait somemore, do not be too quick to giv'r. You'll probably have to do some physio therapy as well. It will probably be a seemingly long boring process but done right will be rewarded by no problems later.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:36 PM
1st Gear Member

I had that problem with my right knee. Imagine when that happens walking down the stairs

Old 12-06-2010, 07:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
...tore a ligament that holds my thumb into it's socket.. So now my thump keeps popping out of it's socket at random times.. ...

Anyone else have this injury/surgery? Just wondering what I have to look forward to.
Sounds similar to what my girlfriend had a couple of years ago when she got hit on the thumb playing field hockey. A piece of bone that the ligament was attached to chipped off - but she was in a LOT of pain with it, so may have been more serious that yours. Doctors said it's commonly called Skiers Thumb as it happens to skiers who fall while holding the pole and it wrenches the thumb back.

Anyway, she had day surgery to pun the little chip back in place. The physio to get mobility back into the thumb was more painful than the recovery from the surgery. It is really really important that you do the exercises the physio gives you. Just after the surgery she couldn't touch the base of her pinkie using the thumb. Her main exercise was to run the thumb from the tip of the pinkie to the base of it to try and stretch the tendon. She can do that now with ease, so you should make a full recovery.

Pity about not being able to ride too. I feel fro you mate.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Green ***** and Deej. Heck of an Ad for sure

Old 12-06-2010, 09:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
VERY important to follow the directions re healing process. It will be quite easy to re-injure until it has completely healed. Once it feels fine wait somemore, do not be too quick to giv'r. You'll probably have to do some physio therapy as well. It will probably be a seemingly long boring process but done right will be rewarded by no problems later.
Great advice! Ligaments are very avascular, meaning that blood doesn't perfuse them like it does other types of tissues. This means it takes longer to heal. It will still be healing even when it "feels" fine. Definately follow your doctor's directions on this one.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I broke my wrist 6 weeks ago and just got the cast off last Thursday.
I really thought i would be riding last week end becausae it felt great.
I even took the bike around the block with the cast on to see if i could hang on. So,,, the cast came off and the tendons were frozen, i have about 20* of motion, which is all the cast would allow. So now i have one week of PT under my belt and probably 5 more weeks to go. the PT is the sucky part.

Quick Reply: I'm broke, and my bike is broke. :(