if your scared to do the valve adjustment yourself...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 05:52 AM
1st Gear Member
Default if your scared to do the valve adjustment yourself...

dont be. i did mine for the first time today, and im pretty decent with a wrench, but tearing out the cams and messing with the timing chain scared me. with that said, a valve job at a shop is 200 dollars, and i need that every few months, so i force my self to do it. with nobrakes write up, some zip ties, a set of shims, the kawi guild for the shim chart, and a bit of time, i learned the job was nothing to be scared of. it all was quite easy besides getting the buckets out, but with a bit of thought, i found a magnet will pull them out in seconds, vs quite a few minutes with your fingers. one thing that scared me is i knew the bike was slightly out on the intake before i left for my death valley trip (.08), but when i did them today, i found one at .05 and one at .02! hope i didnt mess nothing up, i did notice the bike ran like shat and had a hard time starting, both cured now the valves are in spec. just thought this might be a good find for some one searching the board looking for info, scared to do their valves.

on a side note, i installed a aftermarket chain guard i found on rmatv, looks pretty trick, but they only had blue, so it doesnt match the rest of my zeta parts that are red, oh f#*king well. fells a hell of a lot stronger, going to test that tomarrow, know just the trail .

Old 04-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

why do you need that every few months.......? I have 13 grand on my motor and its never needed adjusting. Twice its been in the shop around the 5000 mark and the dealer said it was perfect, and as fast as it starts and with all the power mine has, its probably still right on specs. What are you doing to your bike man.....LOL

Old 04-06-2010, 05:09 PM
1st Gear Member

I bought my bike in Aug 08, and finally got around to checking the valve clearences last weekend. Both exhaust and both intake valves are still well within spec, and my bike has over 5000 (mostly off road) miles on it. That's what I love about this bike, other than fix an occasional flat, oil and filter change, and air filter cleaning I don't have to do crap to it. I rarely even have to tighten the chain.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:31 PM
1st Gear Member

well deej, i ride like a bat out of hell. most the time im off road, the revs are pretty high, and i take the thing on the freeway. also, the bikes got 16.5k's right now, and i havent had the bike for a full 2 years yet, so that doesnt help. pretty soon here, i think ill be looking at a big bore cus my rings will be toast by then.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
why do you need that every few months.......? I have 13 grand on my motor and its never needed adjusting. Twice its been in the shop around the 5000 mark and the dealer said it was perfect, and as fast as it starts and with all the power mine has, its probably still right on specs. What are you doing to your bike man.....LOL
deej = putt..putt

I've replaced shims twice now after checking 11.5K miles to date.

Is your shop actually checking the tolerances? Just cause they say so, don't mean its true.

Perhaps twisting that right hand a little more will get some wear and tear on those suckers.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
Perhaps twisting that right hand a little more will get some wear and tear on those suckers.
from what i remember, this is also the guy that got like 4000 miles out of a 606. me, like 2500, and that thing looks like a sf tire when im done. i just put a t63 on the rear 2 months ago, im ordering another tire this week.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Now, now .... young man. I got a bit of history with deej and can give him a bit of grief.....but you ... I think not.

Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:42 AM
1st Gear Member

im just saying some some of us treat the bike like a KLX250, and some of us treat it like its a KLX250.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Haha well put punkenduro09. I fall under the KLX250.

I will need to check mine this summer. I wish someone could compile ALL the threads involving adjusting the valves and make it a sticky. I takes awhile to find it all using the search and some of the stickies.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by finger mullet
blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And i will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know i am the lord when i lay my vengeance upon you.
:d
blam! Blam! Blam!

Quick Reply: if your scared to do the valve adjustment yourself...