If you dont really want a klx450r.... this will make you....

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 06:39 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: If you dont really want a klx450r.... this will make you....

Yes, I think it's mostly due to emissions, and the high costs of getting a vehicle emissions tested - lots of beauracracy involved in that.

But I could be entirely wrong and probably am.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:57 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sid Post

Maintenance requirements for those hyper-450cc four strokes is a lot different then a sedate KLX-250S. I'm not talking about the dual sport mods either. Both the Yamaha and Honda dealers told me there was a lot more routine maintenance on those motors. Sure changing the oil isn't too hard but, every time I ride is excessive to me. I'm not kidding either at one long ride or 5 hours. One dealer said I could stretch it to 10 hours if I wasn't racing or running it hard. At 5 hours between oil changes, that's twice a week if I rode it to work and back with no other use. Then there are the rebuild issues on the motors themselves. How many miles can you ride a KLS-250S without opening up the engine to replace stuff? A 300 or 331cc KLX-250S shouldn't have near the maintenance required on a WR/CRF/KLX hyper-450cc four stroke.

If maintenance on a KLX-250S is the same or similar to a CRF-450X or a WR450F, then I had two different dealers talk themselves out of the sale of a motorcycle.
Well, you didn't really answer my questions. And I'm aware that450s require more oil changes and such, but you said, "Wouldn't the maintenance of one of these become tedious when used as a dual sport?"The implication is it would be more difficult as a dual sport than an off road bike. Hence my confusion and response. Answer my other questions and perhapswe can have an intelligent conversation.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: green242

Even though you're pretty wrong danny1two3, I would buy one as a trail rider that I could zip down the road. That was my reasoning for the 250s. I don't wanna haveto trailer it everywhere, and when I'm with the dualsport club around here, and they all take off down the road to another trail, I don't want to be left in the dust, or be risking our image or a ticket.
That's why I would buy this bike and plate it.
I know a guy who has a CRF450X on that note... Dualsported... Didn't even haveto put blinkers on the thing
I'm "pretty wrong" about what? It appears as though you agree with me, but you just don't know it yet.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Danny,

I'm not trying to be a jerk or a smart ***. I don't have a lot of experience on anything other then old Honda XL's. The Yamaha and Honda dealers both told me their motorcycles were the wrong ones for me. The little KLX-250S appears to be pretty close to my old Honda's which I worked on rarely and rode daily. Would a rebuild done at a dealer cause me more maintenance after the conversion? I just don't see it with a KLX-300 motor but, a 331/340 might increase maintenance some but, not to the levels and time required of a WR or CRF based on what the dealers told me. Since they knew it was costing them a potential sale of an expensive motorcycle, I doubt they were trying to miss lead me away from the KLX.

If it turns out a KLX/CRF/WR 450 has the same wrench time per ride time as an up motored KLX-250S, I'll sell it and move on at that time to one of those or a KTM thumper. The cheap price of my little KLX-250S plus a $1,000 for a motor upgrade still makes it substantially cheaper then any of the 450cc enduro's and I don't have to worry about getting it plated.

Best Regards,
Sid

Old 09-03-2007, 01:21 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: danny1two3

ORIGINAL: Sid Post

Maintenance requirements for those hyper-450cc four strokes is a lot different then a sedate KLX-250S. I'm not talking about the dual sport mods either. Both the Yamaha and Honda dealers told me there was a lot more routine maintenance on those motors. Sure changing the oil isn't too hard but, every time I ride is excessive to me. I'm not kidding either at one long ride or 5 hours. One dealer said I could stretch it to 10 hours if I wasn't racing or running it hard. At 5 hours between oil changes, that's twice a week if I rode it to work and back with no other use. Then there are the rebuild issues on the motors themselves. How many miles can you ride a KLS-250S without opening up the engine to replace stuff? A 300 or 331cc KLX-250S shouldn't have near the maintenance required on a WR/CRF/KLX hyper-450cc four stroke.

If maintenance on a KLX-250S is the same or similar to a CRF-450X or a WR450F, then I had two different dealers talk themselves out of the sale of a motorcycle.
Well, you didn't really answer my questions. And I'm aware that450s require more oil changes and such, but you said, "Wouldn't the maintenance of one of these become tedious when used as a dual sport?"The implication is it would be more difficult as a dual sport than an off road bike. Hence my confusion and response. Answer my other questions and perhapswe can have an intelligent conversation.
If you're stretching a 450 enduro out on the street, then you can probably expect your valves to go out of spec, and a top end to be required, far more often than on a purpose built dual sport.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:59 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: danny1two3
I'm "pretty wrong" about what? It appears as though you agree with me, but you just don't know it yet.
Mostly wrong would you have preferred? Yes, I agree with you. I want a 450r and I would plate it. But the maintenance would be much more on that than if I had my 250withall the modsdone to it. The 450 apparently comes with 47hp... and all that the little 250 can get out of it with probably $2000 worth ofmods is 28hp.<that's your point?
I know what you mean, but the 450 is higher maintenance, period .
And here in canada it's $3000 plus taxes more than the 250 (that sucks).

Old 09-04-2007, 04:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah but while you guys are arguing here......I still have the cast on my left foot for 4 more weeks and my little 250 is waiting in the garage for me .....yeah she has 4200 miles on her but i just measured the valves (the night before i broke my foot)and she is still dead in spec......wow...i also full serviced her and what that means is that when my cast comes off and you guys are still arguing about cc's i got a healthy steed to hop right on.....LOL.....
ride the ride boys.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:13 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Truckman

Yeah but while you guys are arguing here......I still have the cast on my left foot for 4 more weeks and my little 250 is waiting in the garage for me .....yeah she has 4200 miles on her but i just measured the valves (the night before i broke my foot)and she is still dead in spec......wow...i also full serviced her and what that means is that when my cast comes off and you guys are still arguing about cc's i got a healthy steed to hop right on.....LOL.....
ride the ride boys.
Hey wait a minute, what happened? Did I miss the thread that explained what happened? Sorry man.[&:]