If you dont really want a klx450r.... this will make you....

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 01:21 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: If you dont really want a klx450r.... this will make you....

ORIGINAL: danny1two3
Rape Iowaguy.
*zipping noise*

Where the hell did the little bugger go?

Old 09-01-2007, 01:24 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LearjetMinako

[:-]You just had to get him started about it, didn't you!

While he's on his own about it. Kawasaki should really think about making the KLX450 a dualsport.
Make it a dualsport yourself.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6616/41B9A0F7AFAF4AAE8920742D428EE0CA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-01-2007, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member

A set of DOT approved tires, a mirror... Voila! Where I live anyway... It comes with a headlight, tailight, and speedo. Blinkers are only a necessity if the bike comes with them

Old 09-01-2007, 01:54 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: green242

A set of DOT approved tires, a mirror... Voila! Where I live anyway... It comes with a headlight, tailight, and speedo. Blinkers are only a necessity if the bike comes with them
Well yeah, but some people don't have the time to make multiple trips to the DMV, especially when the DMV is only open from 12-2 o clock in the afternoon, and said people happen to have school.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:19 AM
1st Gear Member

I could make one a dualsport. But then my little 250 would get lonely. Besides, nothing beats getting 65mpg and just barely pull the interstate speed. But is a blast on the rocks.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:24 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LearjetMinako

I could make one a dualsport. But then my little 250 would get lonely. Besides, nothing beats getting 65mpg and just barely pull the interstate speed. But is a blast on the rocks.
Uh, the raw power of that thing is better than 65 mpg.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Wouldn't the maintenance of one of these become tedious when used as a dual sport?

I looked at a Yamaha WR that was dual sported with low miles. I ruled it out quickly because I felt I would be spending more time working on it then riding it.

I went to the Honda store and they were having good luck dual sporting the CRF-450X as well but, the only guys doing it were shop mechanics. Again, the maintenance was excessive.

At some point, I will just do a 331/340cc upgrade on my KLX-250S. No, it won't be as good as a one of these hyper-450cc 4-strokes but, I also will spend my time riding it more then working on it. I should mention I guess, that I don't want something as specialized as these new 450cc motorcycles because I'm not racing. My little 250 will take me where I want to go, just a little slower.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:02 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sid Post

Wouldn't the maintenance of one of these become tedious when used as a dual sport?

I looked at a Yamaha WR that was dual sported with low miles. I ruled it out quickly because I felt I would be spending more time working on it then riding it.

I went to the Honda store and they were having good luck dual sporting the CRF-450X as well but, the only guys doing it were shop mechanics. Again, the maintenance was excessive.

At some point, I will just do a 331/340cc upgrade on my KLX-250S. No, it won't be as good as a one of these hyper-450cc 4-strokes but, I also will spend my time riding it more then working on it. I should mention I guess, that I don't want something as specialized as these new 450cc motorcycles because I'm not racing. My little 250 will take me where I want to go, just a little slower.
What maintainance are you talking about? You buy a bike, put ona few electrical components, and slap a plate on it. Don't you think it would be ten times more work maintaining a bike with 15 modifications done to it? As soon as you start modifying a bike, you're taking a chance that you'll be wrenching on it later (notto mentionthe time requiredto do the mods in the first place). I guess that's one reason I don't understand why people would rather modify a 250 than buy a 450. Yeah, it's cheaper, but it'snot much cheaper after doing what you plan on doing. I understand there are some cheap mods out there, and that's fine, but a big bore kit is neithercheap nor easy. So while you're at home adding pipes, sprokets, chains, cylinders, big bore kits, valves, carbs, jets, air vents, handle bars, tires, and such, I'll be out riding around onmy bone stock homemade dual sport.

If you're so happy with you're 'little 250'as opposed to a450, why do you plan on turning it into a 340? And for the record, I don't have a problem with the KLX250. I had one. I probably would have kept it had I not gone back to the dealer and saw the other bike sitting there.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Maintenance requirements for those hyper-450cc four strokes is a lot different then a sedate KLX-250S. I'm not talking about the dual sport mods either. Both the Yamaha and Honda dealers told me there was a lot more routine maintenance on those motors. Sure changing the oil isn't too hard but, every time I ride is excessive to me. I'm not kidding either at one long ride or 5 hours. One dealer said I could stretch it to 10 hours if I wasn't racing or running it hard. At 5 hours between oil changes, that's twice a week if I rode it to work and back with no other use. Then there are the rebuild issues on the motors themselves. How many miles can you ride a KLS-250S without opening up the engine to replace stuff? A 300 or 331cc KLX-250S shouldn't have near the maintenance required on a WR/CRF/KLX hyper-450cc four stroke.

If maintenance on a KLX-250S is the same or similar to a CRF-450X or a WR450F, then I had two different dealers talk themselves out of the sale of a motorcycle.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Even though you're pretty wrong danny1two3, I would buy one as a trail rider that I could zip down the road. That was my reasoning for the 250s. I don't wanna haveto trailer it everywhere, and when I'm with the dualsport club around here, and they all take off down the road to another trail, I don't want to be left in the dust, or be risking our image or a ticket.
That's why I would buy this bike and plate it.
I know a guy who has a CRF450X on that note... Dualsported... Didn't even haveto put blinkers on the thing

Quick Reply: If you dont really want a klx450r.... this will make you....