Idle Problems, think I know the answer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 08:52 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Idle Problems, think I know the answer?

A little shout out for some help to all the CVK experts. I started my bike up for the first time in about 2 months today. Well actually it didn't start, so I drained the float bowl and refilled it and it fired right up (the deej method ).

Anyhow i noticed it was idling funny. It would not be a contant idle it would idle a bit high then it would make a "puff" sound and the idle would change a bit lower. No problem when driving at full throttle only at idle. I tinkered a bit with the idle adjustment with no improvement other than raising the idle high enough to keep it from stalling.

I took a look at the carb and found what I think is my problem:

Name:  carbvent.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  46.2 KB

From dirtsurfers post way back when he claims this is the carb vacuum port to the KCR Air Suction System. I have my smog crap removed and have for some time, so I think that little plug just rotted away. If this is the issue I will be thankful, as I don't wanna fxck with the carb any more I've had it out many times already. I think it is b/c when i put my finger in there with it running, the idle was much better and I could feel some air coming from the port when i hear the "puff" sound. So where can I get another one of these rubber plugs?

Old 02-11-2011, 09:52 PM
1st Gear Member

NAPA

David

Old 02-11-2011, 10:08 PM
1st Gear Member

I have had the exact same problem with the rubber vacuum plugs. Get some vinyl ones. The rubber ones will rot everytime, vinyl 1.5 yrs no sign of deterioration.
Dan

Name:  caps.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  5.8 KB

Name:  IMG_8330.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  62.7 KB

See post #15 for description of my problem at the time.
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ghlight=vaccum

Last edited by dan888; 02-11-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Awesome thanks for the reply guys! Looks like it's off to find some vinyl caps. Dan your post sounds exactly like what happened to my bike, it's like deja vu. You are da man!

Old 02-13-2011, 01:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Picked up some vinyl caps from advance auto tonight, variety pack for 2 bucks. Can't go wrong with that. I will give them a shot tomorrow, plus it's supposed to be warmer so I can actually take the KLX out for a decent spin.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:42 AM
1st Gear Member

That should solve your problem. I'm just passing on info I picked up here on the board.
Dan

Old 02-13-2011, 11:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Anyhow i noticed it was idling funny. It would not be a contant idle it would idle a bit high then it would make a "puff" sound and the idle would change a bit lower. No problem when driving at full throttle only at idle. I tinkered a bit with the idle adjustment with no improvement other than raising the idle high enough to keep it from stalling.
A perfect description of sucking air. Inconsistent speed that can't be adjusted out and the "Puff" was an intake backfire. The same symptoms of a cracked carb mount.

Enjoy
David

Old 02-13-2011, 09:50 PM
1st Gear Member

You guys are great! I went over to auto zone or one of those type stores and picked up a variety pack of vacuum caps for $2. I didn't want to take the carb off, so it took me a few tries to get the cap in there since there isn't much working room. Ended up taking off the push/pull cables and unscrewing the bracket (which I noticed had red loctite on it). I put the cap on and installed all cables again and added loctite to that bracket screw. I liked your zip tie idea Dan, so here's the result:

Name:  carbventfixed.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  60.6 KB

Road test proved much less backfiring on decel, and now this hog can actually idle steady

Thanks again and hopefully whoever else read this they have learned something too and will check their vacuum plugs periodically.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by PSUdude85
I liked your zip tie idea Dan, so here's the result:
Copy-cat

I was able to put the cap on with my needle nose pliers, without removing anything. Try that if you ever have to re-do it in the future.
Glad that's all it was.
Dan

Old 02-16-2011, 03:58 AM
1st Gear Member

I used a short piece of fuel hose and plugged the hose. I left it just long
Enough to reach it so I could squirt a little fuel in for those cold starts!
Check your cap for the smog stuff too. I tapped mine and plugged it with a bolt.

Quick Reply: Idle Problems, think I know the answer?