Idle issues after dynojet!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 11:16 PM
Default Idle issues after dynojet!

Hey guys,
I'm a new rider, and my first bike is the 2009 klx250sf. Not only that, but I have never worked on a anything to this extent by myself. I searched the forums, and internet extensively trying to find a resolution to my issue. I have nothing to do at work for 6 hours so this was definitely on top of my list. Here is my story

I installed a two bros slip on exhaust a week after the break in period of my bike (sometime in july). This past weekend I attempted to install the dynojet kit. I used the walk through on HMF engineering, which guided me somewhat since it's for an older bike. I used the 128 jet, and left the lid off of my airbox. The screw it tells you to back out 3 turns I did as so. Put everything back together, and started it up. Seems like it runs fine with the choke pulled out, but when I push it in. It idles for a couple seconds, and then the bike cuts off. I made a little screwdriver type thing out of a metal pen cap, and I turned that screw to 2 turns back out from seated. Still does the exact same thing. If I sit there, and twist my throttle it stays on but I can't always do that while sitting in traffic. I did also take it for a short ride in my back yard. Never left second, but as soon as I stop, and let it idle for a second or two it cuts right off again. I have no idea what to do, or what is wrong. I don't know how to check my float level, but I did try to look up how. I guess I need a tool for that. Anyone have any ideas on what is going on?

Old 10-13-2009, 11:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome To Kawasaki Forums.
Turn On Some Tunes And Enjoy The Ride.
They're a lot of Good Members Here and they will do there Best to Help You out with Your Questions. Sometimes It Takes A Little Longer Then Others. So, hang-in there.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:13 AM

Thanks 95451 I'll try my best to pass the time cuz all I want to do is get her up so I can ride again.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Where did you set the needle?
Is the DJ kit for the 250S or 300R?
Do you have the stock air filter?
Is the pilot jet stock, size?

Old 10-14-2009, 12:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Did you make sure the carb vents weren't blocked? Also, did you remove the air induction system? If so, did you make sure to cap the vac port on the carb?

Old 10-14-2009, 12:52 PM

I set the needle to 3rd groove down from the top per instructions
The DJ kit is for the 250s
I am using the stock air filter
Pilot jet is stock

This is my first time doing anything like this so I'll answer marc11's question as best I can. I'm pretty positive all the tube coming off the carb are not blocked. I've got the pink ones, and the black long skinny one routing to the bottom connected to nothing. The other black tube with the bend at the top I have routing up towards the top of the gas can, but it's also not connected to anything.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:02 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Sounds like its not gettin enough fuel when the choke is off... something is messed up... im thinking its not the main jet... id take it all back apart and make sure the diaphram is ok and the slide and float and everything.....

Old 10-14-2009, 03:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like a vacuum leak. Make sure the carb is seated properly in the intake manifold and the diaphragm is also seated properly. When you have the top of the carb off, make sure that the little white plastic cage doesn't have any of its feet covering the vacuum hole in the slide.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 10-14-2009, 03:50 PM
1st Gear Member

That hose coming off the carb must be connected to SOMETHING. Sounds like the suction hose off the carb that goes to the air injection system has been disconnected. Plug it with a screw for now and see if the bike runs as expected....I bet it will.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:08 AM

Thank you marc11, and everyone that helped me!!! My suction hose off the carb had to be connected to something. I thought it was just another tube that lead to no where. Found the spot it was supposed to go into, plugged that sucker in, and now I have a giant smile on my face. I say it went pretty well for someone with no prior knowledge of bikes Thank you!

Quick Reply: Idle issues after dynojet!