idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 07:48 PM
1st Gear Member
Default idle issues

has anyone else had any idle issues with their 09's? min will randomly idle at 4k when its warm and the choke is in. other times it'll try to idle soo low that it'll die when i pull the clutch in to stop. there isnt any vacuum leaks, and the float level is normal. its been to the dealer once for this issue and the mechanic adjusted the idle mix screw from 1.5 turns to 3.5 turns and it fixed it for a while, but its loaded in the bed of my truck to go back to the dealer for round two. anyone else having any problems, or is it just my luck kicking in? if this continues to be a problem, i see a ktm 450 exc in my future.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Your going to buy a new bike because this one doesnt idle properly? Did you know that KTM's need the valves adjusted every 20 hours I think the interval is?

Old 09-29-2009, 09:04 PM
1st Gear Member

haha, no thats not it, im just not sure if i wanna put the money into this bike to make it half of what that ktm is. i think i would be happier with it. only the future can tell

Old 09-30-2009, 12:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Have you rejetted it?
I remember when I went up to a #40 pilot I had a prob' setting the idle. #38 pilot fixed it.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:53 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Oh my!...KLX250S or a KTM450. I suspect you bought the wrong bike to start with.

Anyway, on the idle deal, how do you know the float level is correct? Your dealer comment indicates that apparently the shop checked this. Frankly I never trust float level measurements. There are often weird deals with the float shape and buoyancy issues that affect fuel level. Measuring actual fuel level with a clear plastic tube is dead sure stuff. Don't know for sure this is your problem, but it's one possibility. Fuel level is one of the first things one should always check, as you can chase you tail on jetting and other issues 'til you puke with a bad fuel level.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:18 AM
1st Gear Member

It's an air leak.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:34 AM
1st Gear Member

try replacing your fuel filter there only $4 , when mine clocked up it was either idling at 3000 or stall.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:14 PM
1st Gear Member

It sure sounds like an air leak but have you checked to make sure that the cables are routed and adjusted properly? Move the handle bars lock to lock and make sure the cables are not snagging on anything. How are you sure you don't have an air leak? Did you spray around both ends of the rubber manifold and the diaphram dome gap. I'd pull the carb out and dissassemble and inspect everything. Good luck.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:12 PM
1st Gear Member

ive checked for an air leak, and the tech at the dealer did as well. no leaks. the dealer checked the float level, so i dont know the details, but the guy is a 40 year veteran of motorcycle mechanics, so i kinda trust him. i dunno, its at the shop now, and we'll see what happens. i haven't jetted it, nor have i done anything other than cosmetic mods. if the mechanic cant figure it out im gonna start tearing into it myself, which i should have done it from the start.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:59 PM
1st Gear Member

so, time to swallow some of that precious pride. it was an air leak. the idle mixture screw backed out because there wasnt enough spring tension at 3.5 turns out (where the dealership dyno'd it) so to fix it, the tech drilled out my pilot so he could run the idle screw in further.

Quick Reply: idle issues