I won`t run... HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 03:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Does your bike have an FI malfunction indicator on the speedo? I haven't seen any FI service supplements for the KLX but I would suspect that there should be some type of diagnostic function. That's the next step. Most bikes use a modular pump/pressure regulator/filter assembly that's only serviced as an assembly. Probably runs around 50 psi fuel pressure.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for that.
There is a FI Malfunction light but it doesn`t illuminate apart from when it sequences thru all of them when the ignition is first switched on.
It does seem to have the symptoms of fuel starvation, if i was running a carb i would have drained the float bowl, blown out all the jets and have it sorted by now.
This hassle is exactly the reason i was hesitant about having FI on a bike........

Old 07-10-2019, 02:25 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Again, not sure how the FI on the KLX functions in terms of catching glitches in the system and storing them in a diagnostic manner for later review. I'd talk to a mechanic at a dealership or someone at Kawaski by sending a message asking if there is a reader for the KLX computer that records "hiccups" in a diagnostic history in the computer. The check engine or warning light on the KLX may not stay on unless the problem is constant, but the event code may be in the computer nonetheless.

Old 07-10-2019, 03:33 PM
1st Gear Member

my old 2009 efi model would die and cut out if the battery was not 100%.

try charging the battery full and test again,

Old 07-10-2019, 08:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Hi
Did some stripping down today after emptying the tank.
The only filter in the system is large, very fine and located next to the pump within the tank, nothing undue there and i cant see anything getting past it to block the injector.
There are internal vents within the tank.
The plug colour looks fine for a modern four-stroke, straw coloured.
Battery seems good judging by the number of times i have fired it up.
Getting really p****ed off with my new, 3000 mile, EFI purchase which i have traveled about three miles on!
Cheers

Old 07-11-2019, 02:34 AM
1st Gear Member

i would try charging the battery to be shure since mine would start and cut out at random back then even start right back up just to cut out.
(could do that quite a few times in a row)

when yours start briefly next time try measure the charging voltage of the bike running to make shure it is trying to charge.
just to check your stator and rectyfier is working.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:09 AM
1st Gear Member

I got this message from the previous owner this morning -

"One thing came to mind that I thought worth mentioning. Previous owner advised only to use super unleaded as against normal unleaded as all the additives in the fuel can cause irregular running etc. There was only super unleaded in bike, but same fuel since December so may have been a contributor. Even though as mentioned the 2 times I had been out on it in last few weeks it was running normally"

OLD FUEL!!!!!

Old 07-11-2019, 08:48 AM
1st Gear Member

min ran fine on reguler 92 ectane unleaded (eu) ranit on that for over 6000miles i had the bike

Old 07-11-2019, 07:39 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

These KLX's do not require anything above regular unleaded, especially with FI. Those with big bore kits where the compression went from the OEM 11:1 up to 12:1, may require mid or higher octane, but I'm not sure on those...and conditions may vary. Still, the standard KLX engine does not require higher grade fuel. It won't hurt to use it, but if you're getting detonation on regular fuel with the OEM compression, I'd say your carb is jetted too lean. With FI this isn't an issue.

Now, old fuel as OP is commenting on might do some odd things in an FI engine. Even though there's no carb to gunk up, the quality of combustion can go down and the gunk can gum up an injector. As to how long a time period must pass before you end up with "old" fuel, that depends on your climate, humidity, storage conditions.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:56 PM
1st Gear Member

A simple sniff test should tell you if there is a fuel quality issue. Does it smell stale or fresh?

Quick Reply: I won`t run... HELP!!!