I won`t run... HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 09:00 PM
1st Gear Member
Default I won`t run... HELP!!!

Hi
Bought a (2012) KLX250 FUEL INJECTION yesterday from a really genuine guy about forty miles away from me.
Took it out for the first time today and it started, idled, and ran fine.....
Opened it up properly about a mile down the road upon reaching the dual carriageway.About half a mile down it starts miss firing, gets worse and finally stops.
It fired up again and would run on and off at various engine speeds and then die again.
If it had a carb i would say it had a poor fuel supply and would start by draining and flushing the float bowl, but this being my first FI engine, WHERE DO I START??????
HELP PLEASE!!!!

Old 07-09-2019, 03:41 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I'm a carb guy on bikes, but does the KLX FI have a diagnostic port? If it does, pretty sure you'll have to have a dealer do it with a proprietary scanner they have. I'm just not up on computer and FI on our KLX's, but if has a computer, perhaps it has a diagnostic feature. It would be worth having the system read if it's capable of telling you anything.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
I'm a carb guy on bikes, but does the KLX FI have a diagnostic port? If it does, pretty sure you'll have to have a dealer do it with a proprietary scanner they have. I'm just not up on computer and FI on our KLX's, but if has a computer, perhaps it has a diagnostic feature. It would be worth having the system read if it's capable of telling you anything.
Think it has a hook up for a forward facing camera and the ability to tell the rider if they're going to crash their brains out on a rough trail or hill climb?

Old 07-09-2019, 01:48 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member
Talking

Originally Posted by klx678
Think it has a hook up for a forward facing camera and the ability to tell the rider if they're going to crash their brains out on a rough trail or hill climb?
I had one of those. It didn't help.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:29 PM
1st Gear Member

might want to check you tank vent hoses
maybe check you plug to see if it is running lean or rich possible even replace the plug to be shure

And as the wild shot in the dark check the spark plug coil

Old 07-09-2019, 04:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Just in from a session in the garage.(I was in a better mood to deal with it today!)
I started by disconnecting cleaning and re-connecting every electrical socket on the bike, and there are a lot! I would fire it up periodically to see if there was any change to the ALMOST steady tickover before it would die after between ten and thirty seconds. No warning lights would come up and i was running with the fuel cap open.
Having lifted the tank to the limit of the fuel lines i thing the injectors are next, not that i have had anything ever to do with then! I run a 20 year old Nissan Micra and have never had a problem with the injector system on that! Went out on my 2004 MZ Mastiff (TWO CARBS) this morning. It started on a bit of choke, ticked over and ran beautifully!

Old 07-09-2019, 04:30 PM
1st Gear Member

I would take the fuel lines off right at the FI input and see if you can fill a pint jar of fuel. Your filter/pump may be the issue. Sounds like running out of fuel if the plug is ok and sparking.

Old 07-09-2019, 04:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for that.
Trying to locate the fuel filters from the parts catalogue without any success, are they incorporated at the fuel pump end or the injector body end.
Is the line between pump and injector a very high pressure or is that only from the injector into the combustion chamber?

Old 07-09-2019, 06:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Puzeyman
Thanks for that.
Trying to locate the fuel filters from the parts catalogue without any success, are they incorporated at the fuel pump end or the injector body end.
Is the line between pump and injector a very high pressure or is that only from the injector into the combustion chamber?
Good question, we are carb guys. But..... whichever, you will determine if your getting gas to the head.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:46 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Quite a few of these FI systems just use a sock in the fuel tank at the pump instead of an inline filter system. Don't have any idea on the pressure for the KLX fuel pump, but someone with access to a manual should have that.

Quick Reply: I won`t run... HELP!!!