I took my top off!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 05:20 PM
1st Gear Member
Default I took my top off!

The top of my airbox lid that is.

I have a completely stock 07klx250 no eng or exhaust mods. So with all that extra air I'm assuming I'm going to be even more lean than before. THe only difference I noticed on a short ride was a little throatier sound.

Am I going to damage anything running like this?
I dont go far off road and most likely wont be crossing any major water but will rain get in there?
Does anybody think the snorkel serves any purpose? Colder air? Reduce the chances of getting water and mud in the airbox?

I'm actually trying to get better gas mileage with this mod. Is that going to happen?

Old 08-03-2009, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

No put the lid back on. You can only do harm from this. You need bigger jetting as you are letting much more air in.

Does anybody think the snorkel serves any purpose? Colder air? Reduce the chances of getting water and mud in the airbox?
Yes but not colder air.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:00 PM
1st Gear Member

BGB these things run pretty lean to begin with. The stock snorkel's main job is suppossed to be for water and dust protection. I think it's really there for noise suppression. I just removed mine and have made some pretty deep water crossings (up to the seat) no problem. If your going to ride mostly street or easy trails avoiding deep water and mud you will be fine without the snorkel or the entire lid. I would however recommend properly jetting the bike. It is rediculously lean from the factory, and with the lid or snorkel removed it will be even worse. It's very easy to jet these things and there is a wealth of information right here on this website.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigGreenBastard
The top of my airbox lid that is.

I have a completely stock 07klx250 no eng or exhaust mods. So with all that extra air I'm assuming I'm going to be even more lean than before. THe only difference I noticed on a short ride was a little throatier sound.

Am I going to damage anything running like this?
I dont go far off road and most likely wont be crossing any major water but will rain get in there?

I'm actually trying to get better gas mileage with this mod. Is that going to happen?
Wanna buy my entire dynojet kit? If you are in the US $20 shipped.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

you know if kawikathy would of posted a thread with this title, the internet would explode from too much activity....lol where is kathy?

Old 08-03-2009, 09:32 PM
1st Gear Member

If your goal is better mileage, put the lid back on and dont re-jet. Lid off is probably not doing your piston any favors.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by hoedogg
you know if kawikathy would of posted a thread with this title, the internet would explode from too much activity....lol where is kathy?

Yea she got us more than once didn't she. ....I miss her...

Old 08-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

My air box lid has been sitting on the shelf for 10,000 miles.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:12 PM
1st Gear Member

no point really unless you open the exhaust up.. removing the airbox lid is only worth it if you open the exhaust at the same time. im sure their would be a slight gain but if you do it, youll end up rejetting again later when you get a pipe. might as well do it all at once.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:54 PM
1st Gear Member

BGB,

Take up JE2000's offer on the Dynojet kit. I'd buy it myself but already have one. Adding more air intake capacity without increasing throughput (exhaust) or fuel supply doesn't make much sense to me.

Quick Reply: I took my top off!