I took a heavy knock underneath my klx 250

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 02:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default I took a heavy knock underneath my klx 250

I was crossing a set of dual train tracks, once I got to the final rail I popped the front wheel up a bit went over with no problems but the other side of the tracks dropped away quickly!! Which caused the link from the bike frame to the rear shock (that link that hangs lower than the frame), to SLAM into the rail.

I haven't noticed any deteration in how the bike handles but was wondering if the bike would need any special kind of servicing to monitor this kind of whack?

Old 09-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: I took a heavy knock underneath my klx 250

Sounds like you might have hit the dog bone under the bike, take a closer look, but you probably didn't hurt anything. Do you have the Utah Skid plate? Might want to get one. On the PNW ride yesterday mine came in real handy. Hey I couldn't find where you were given a welcome to the forum, so.......welcome. You might check out the new member page and give us the scoop. You know what part of the country do you live in, are you an old dude like me or a young punk like Will (just messing Will) what is you occupation, how long you been riding, you know the basics. Again welcome and see you out there.....or here, or wherever.[8D]

Old 09-09-2007, 08:09 PM

Sounds stupid, but what is PNW anyways?

Old 09-09-2007, 09:08 PM

Pacific North West? Just a guess.
That's a pretty tough spot on the bike, I've hit mine on rocks quite a bit. Never hit Rail Road tracks though, I'd just keep my eyes on it. Are there any visual marks of the impact?
Deej, correct me if I wrong, and I'd love to be, but wouldn't a skid plate not cover that area?

Old 09-09-2007, 10:06 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HawaiiRider

Pacific North West? Just a guess.
That's a pretty tough spot on the bike, I've hit mine on rocks quite a bit. Never hit Rail Road tracks though, I'd just keep my eyes on it. Are there any visual marks of the impact?
Deej, correct me if I wrong, and I'd love to be, but wouldn't a skid plate not cover that area?
You're right on the PNW and on the dog bone, the plate doesn't cover that. What I meant is if anyone is worried about the bottom end of the bike, a $60.00 skid plate beats an $800.00 shop bill. Hey HawaiiRider how is the weather over there. This has been one of the nicest weekends we have had in months. I heard your weather is similar to Washington state.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the welcome,

Yeah there are a couple little spots on the dog bone that you can see where it hit.

The last couple of weeks its been getting harder and harder to cross the tracks, so I have been looking for other places to cross them. After that hit I started looking for some actual crossing points where I dont have to ride over them..

Old 09-10-2007, 02:53 AM
1st Gear Member

It's probably fine. The dog bone is made of tough metal.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:38 AM

Also if it's only the dog bone you can always replace them. Cheaper one's are on eBay for around $20. I think the higher end ones are more like $100. Probably fine though.

Hey Deej I can't tell if that's a joke or not but out weather is usually great. Rainy kinda winters with warm temps and dry hotish summers. I thought Wash. was kinda cold? Hope all you guys had a great ride!

Old 09-10-2007, 05:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey Deej I can't tell if that's a joke or not but out weather is usually great. Rainy kinda winters with warm temps and dry hotish summers. I thought Wash. was kinda cold? Hope all you guys had a great ride!
A joke? Nope I was serious, just wondering how things are over there. Oh and the ride?....well it was a blast, but I can hardly walk today, I have to walk sideways down stairs, if you ever wondered if you were out of shape just ride whoops while standing and the next day you will be hurting. Later man.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:25 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Also if it's only the dog bone you can always replace them. Cheaper one's are on eBay for around $20. I think the higher end ones are more like $100. Probably fine though.

If you actually look at that part of the bike i would bet money that he didnt hit the actual dog bones... they are on the sides of the shock linkage, i bet he hit that part that the dog bones, shock and frame all bolt to....

Quick Reply: I took a heavy knock underneath my klx 250