I think i need a new bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 03:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Glad tohear you got it out of the garage.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:50 AM
1st Gear Member

I am happy to hear that you are okay, the bike can be replaced, you can't.

Bonus - there see, to be lot of good deals on almost new KLX 250 s right now.

Good luck with the insurance company

Old 10-24-2009, 12:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SLOWKLX
WELL I WAS CHANGING THE PLUG AND THATS A BITCH.SO I UNBOLTED THE TANK AND LIFTED IT UP ABOUT AN INCH OR TWO TO GET TH PLUG OUT EASIER.WHEN I WENT TO PUT THE TANK BACK DOWN IT STARTED TO LEAK FUEL.SO I GRABED A RAG AND LOOKED FOR THE LEAK.THE FUEL LINE WAS BROKEN.IDONT KNOW HOW BUT IT WAS RIPPED IN HALF.I PUT A BUCKET UNDER IT THEN TURNED AROUND TO GRAB AN OLD SWEATSHIRT TO USE ALSO AND THE THING WENT UP IN FLAMES.THE ONLY THING THAT COULD HAVE CAUSED IT WAS MY DROPLIGHT SITTNG ABOUT 2 FT AWAY.I GRABED MY FIRE EXTINGUISHER AND TRYED TO PUT IT OUT .NO GOOD SO THANK GOD THE GARAGE DOOR WAS OPEN AND I DRAGED IT OUT SIDE AND USED THE WATER HOSE ON IT.THAT WAS ABOUT 1 MIN OF BURN TIME. WELL I HAVE INSURANCE SO I AM SHOPPING FOR A NEW ONE.WENT OUT TODAY AND BOUGHT A BIGGER FIRE EXTINGUISHER. LESSON LEARNED.... NOW I AM NO DOPE WHEN IT COMES TO MECHCANICS HAVING RACED QUADS,BOATS, 9 SECOND DRAG CARS, BUT IT STILL AMAZES ME HOW FAST THIS THING WENT UP. HOPE THAT ANSWERS SOME QUESTIONS.
I had the same thing happen when i was putting my 351 kit on. 2007. i got it the hell out of the garage in a heartbeat. full tank of gas. Guys need to be careful with that. That fuel line became real brittle in two years. I was lucky that my bike was cold and there was no open flames because i lost the better part of a gallon all over the garage and driveway....sucks because the tank leaks in either direction when that happens, up or down (broken hoses or cap).

Old 10-24-2009, 02:11 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Wow, as bad as that looks, it sounds like it could have been worse.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mattyw
I had the same thing happen when i was putting my 351 kit on. 2007. i got it the hell out of the garage in a heartbeat. full tank of gas. Guys need to be careful with that. That fuel line became real brittle in two years. I was lucky that my bike was cold and there was no open flames because i lost the better part of a gallon all over the garage and driveway....sucks because the tank leaks in either direction when that happens, up or down (broken hoses or cap).
i keep saying to my self that it had to be a brittle gas line.i didnt even lift the tank up an inch and it broke.thanks

Old 10-24-2009, 12:08 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I was changing throttle bodies on my 89 blazer and ,in the garage under the house, after i got the fuel lines off and had a rich odor of gas something touched the alternator bolt that is wired directly to the battery... sparks flew and smelling gas i thaught i was going up in flames... nothing happened scared the crap outta me though.... sorry to hear this....

Old 10-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Old 10-24-2009, 01:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Thats Sick!

Old 10-25-2009, 08:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Once when I worked at a gas station, while topping up the oil in a cop car, I spilled oil down the motor and onto the exhaust manifold.. I never thought nothing of it, figured motor oil was hard to burn, then.... PooF!! right beside the gas pump the oil on the manifold caught flame and started burning.... Scarred the poop out of me!

Burned out quick with no damage
Cop said, "What you doin, havin a wenie roast out there?"
haha

Best of luck to slowklx
What you getting? Another KLX??

Old 10-26-2009, 01:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SLOWKLX
i keep saying to my self that it had to be a brittle gas line.i didnt even lift the tank up an inch and it broke.thanks
Sounds like something more should watch. what i forgot to mention was i did the same thing (only lifted it up an inch or so to get a ratchet on the cam cover when it broke loose. out of concern i tugged on the other one afterwards and it broke right at the tank line connection just like the first one.

Is this a problem other have had? I ended up reordering OEM tubing after using some temp stuff from NAPA because i had problems with fitting the bends with the OEM, but i may go back because it was a better line. It is something that everyone should watch out for, its damn dangerous. takes very little to break that line.

Quick Reply: I think i need a new bike