I RODE A DRZ 400!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 08:51 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: I RODE A DRZ 400!!!!!!!!!!

Blah blah blah... "DRZ's are better, told you so, more powerful, on and on, better all around bike, extra 30+ pounds is nothing".... blah blah blah.. Obviously a 400 would have more power than a 250.. But these bikes are DIFFERENT.. Why not compare to an XR650? Or an XR R 650.. Same bike arn't they? Bothmain streamdualsports??

What I am saying is these bikes are as identical, as a DRZ and a KTM/Berg.I only compare to a Berg because I have never ridden a KTM.

I'm well educated on them, but I belive Husabergs are owned by KTM. And I don't understand your comment about never seeing a berg.

Oh and a DRZ around here is about $7500, and a KTM 530 (Street Legal)is around the $9000 mark. (not sure about the 450's)
I don't know where you are getting your #'s from.

Probably the same place you get your HP #'s from it seems.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Green, don't let our lil troll affect your posts.

He is an expert former mx racer that posts threads on a dual sport forum needing helpwith jetting a cvk carb on a 250. That should say it.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:48 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

what's it say troll-lover?

Old 06-03-2008, 02:59 AM
1st Gear Member

I own a DRZ400s and a KLX250s. Both are fine machines. Riding in the woods in Michigan the KLX is a better machine. I rode many miles on the MCCCT last month and my very slightly modified KLX was better because it was lighter and easier to maneuver. The DRZ is stock as stock gets, and it cannot run away from the KLX. I switched riding the DRZ and KLX and on every occasion I liked the torque lower in the RPM band, but felt more out of control and got tired more quickly on the DRZ.

Not that it matters a pinch, but in a drag race on the streetthe DRZ will pull about a bike length at 60 mph.

Frankly I am happy to have them both. I agree with Deej, the torque is better on the DRZ and less effort is spent shifting to keep in the power band because of it. But for non-competitive riders the whole issue is almost just splitting hairs.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:29 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: adaycj

I own a DRZ400s and a KLX250s. Both are fine machines. Riding in the woods in Michigan the KLX is a better machine. I rode many miles on the MCCCT last month and my very slightly modified KLX was better because it was lighter and easier to maneuver. The DRZ is stock as stock gets, and it cannot run away from the KLX. I switched riding the DRZ and KLX and on every occasion I liked the torque lower in the RPM band, but felt more out of control and got tired more quickly on the DRZ.

Not that it matters a pinch, but in a drag race on the street the DRZ will pull about a bike length at 60 mph.

Frankly I am happy to have them both. I agree with Deej, the torque is better on the DRZ and less effort is spent shifting to keep in the power band because of it. But for non-competitive riders the whole issue is almost just splitting hairs.
Good to see someone who has both and, I imagine, is not biased by what they have, or by what they have said on earlier posts.

I rode the e model drz which is the best part of 30lbs lighter than the s.
That no doubt would make it less of a handful, and less tiring, than the s.

Most of us agree that the DRZ out of the box has the power that we are chasing.
Again most of us agree that the KLX is a lighter, more manageable, bike in the tight stuff.
And, it appears that most of us have modded our klx'x indicating a level of dissatisfaction with the standard bike.

The question is this.
Would it be better, easier, to start with a DRZ (e model) and work on saving weight or, start with a KLX and work on upping the power?

Answer..........................................bu y a KTM.
(only joking fellas)

Old 06-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hmmmmmm while I love my KLX and am still trying to put it all in perspective, I have to say, that if I was on a DRZ and raced against a KLX I'm sorry, but it would be more like 10 bike lengths, if not more. I'm just saying.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

lmao, I just don't get some of these guys. a DRZ will run and hide from a KLX all day. it comes down to common sense- 20 horse vs. 35 horse. just like a KLX450 would do the same to the DRZbut not in such a dramatic fashion as the DRZ vs. the KLX.
The E model is lighter but it now has the CV carb and some of you think that's a downgrade from the earlier E models' FCR. The DRZ to get is by far the SM. It has better brakes and suspension. The S and E models have old non usd front forks. Yes my KLX runs really good right now compared to stock, but my stock DRZ would still outmuscle it on acceleration in a laughable fashion. But the KLX would outrun it in a top-end race. That's where the DRZ fails, it needs one more gear. Gear the DRZ up and put a full Yoshi on it and you're talking around 40 rwhp. It's quite a versatile motorcycle.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:35 PM
eas
1st Gear Member

All those in favor of the KLX say "aye"; those in favor of the DRZ say "nay". The "ayes" have it; discussion over; thread closed.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

What about all those in favor of both bikes for different reasons. You know it is possible to love more than one bike right?

Old 06-03-2008, 06:00 PM
1st Gear Member

there both great bikes guys just go out and ride enjoy>.

Quick Reply: I RODE A DRZ 400!!!!!!!!!!