I RODE A DRZ 400!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:27 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: I RODE A DRZ 400!!!!!!!!!!

Here, here! Can I get an 'amen,' brothers and sisters?!

ORIGINAL: deej

Hey Leem, I didn't post in here after riding the 400 so that former or current DRZ owners could come in here and put the KLX down. Yes I was impressed with the power, but I didn't get to ride it on the trails, and really the only thing I admitted was that I was impressed with the overall power. What I'm not impressed with is how fast and consistently you continue to look for opportunities to make us feel like the mods we have done are a waste. I rode this morning to work on my KLX like I have done for nearly 3 months in a row, and while I'm impressed with the DRZ power, I still had the same smile on my face that I did when I put the first mile on my unmodded bike. Now that I have jetted and piped the bike and switched up the gearing, I dare anyone to unimpressed after riding my bike. Now don't go and get all defensive in here, because when it comes to us KLX owners we'll fight you to the grave man.[8D]

Old 05-29-2008, 08:46 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

yawn!!!! drz, klx, ktm, husky...........they're all bikes and they're all good. is the ktm as good as tremor claims? well no or he'd be on one. does he doubt his 30 horsepower dyno run? yes. is therethis minimal dollar amount between the DRZ and KTM as tremor claims? no, the price difference is huge. is the DRZ as bad as tremor claims? not even close. the drz is a very capable bike that even in stock form will kill his "highly modded" klx, but with a full yoshi and jet kit pushes out over 40 rear-wheel horsepower. should the klx be compared to the drz? no. it's larger and thus should make more power which it does to the tune of around 17 more horses over the klx. there are some big-time drz haters among us and that's too bad. I'm sick of hearing all this talk of a big-bore klx being able to wipe a drz or what not...bull. it just ain't happening gents. six letters for you- t-o-r-q-u-e. the drz oozes of it and even though it may get some, a big-bored klx still doesn't come close to a drz's torque capacity.
don't dog on a DRZSM's on-road performance, it's far different than a sm'd regular drz. oh yeah, did anyone see that the DRZSM was motorcyclist's runner-up for moty?
let's see some klx big-bore dyno runs proving this power/torque that is now equal to a drz's.[:@]

Old 05-29-2008, 08:55 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tremor38

I can appreciate why some people prefer the DRZ. You get petty decent bang for the buck. However, if I where in the market for something in that cc class, I would buy a KTM or Husky. The DRZ is the absolute dog of that displacement class.
so now you're putting the drz in the same class as the 450's? yeah, that makes sense.[&:]
who says it's a dog, you? tell that to eddie over on the TT drz forums and I'd bet he could convince you otherwise.[:-]

Old 05-29-2008, 10:53 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tremor38

If I wanted to get something in the 400cc class, I would have, but it certainly wouldn't have been a DRZ400...KTM, Husaberg and even Husky are much better options. When it comes down to it, there's is not much of a difference in the sticker price of a KTM450EXC when compared to a DRZ...not enough to make me wince anyway. That bike is far superior to the DRZ.

I feel for ya man! You have the absolute dog of the 400cc dual sport world, so now you are reduced to comparing it to a 250 just to console yourself. Keep your chin-up, sport. Maybe you can find a CRF230 or XT225 forum that would make you feel equally superior.
Now that is flawed logic.
Saying the DRZ is no good because, given the choice, you would pick a Kato,Berg or Husky is crazy talk.

Why didn't you pick a KTM, Husky, WR, CRF etc etc over the KLX?

Are you saying the KLX is the pick of the 250's and the DRZ is the dog of the 400+?

The DRZ and the KLX are both just good old fashioned trail bikes.
All rounders. The great road dirt compromise.
The other mentioned bikes are race bred dirt bikes.
Far less compromised for road use.

Comparing the KLX and the DRZ is a perfectly reasonable comparison because there design objectives are similar.
IMO comparing either of these bikes to say the KTM's is not reasonable.
The designers were aiming for different targets.

And they all have there place and are all good bikes.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:43 PM
1st Gear Member

I bought my KLX to get back into bikes because I bought a second home wheretrailsare right across the street. I bought the KTM so I could ride and my guest's could come with me. Both bikes are fun but are different in intension's one a fun play bike and ones a serious race machine, I've brought them closer together in performance but there still not really comparable. I don't think tremor was comparing them but was saying after upgrades to the klx it's closer to performance to the drz.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:01 PM
1st Gear Member

OMG!!!

Some of you are "jumping the shark". All the bikes mentioned here are great bikes with different attributes for different riding preferences, styles and budgets.

Lets dump this thread.

XOXO

Old 05-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Jumping the shark.........you mean like on Happy days when the Fonz jumped the shark? Right on Tony, even as impressed by the DRZ as I was, I still love all bikes and promise to curb my excitement in the future.[8D]All riders, all bikes all good. How's the Yamaha?

Old 05-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kgwld1

I don't think tremor was comparing them but was saying after upgrades to the klx it's closer to performance to the drz.
what then do you call it when he singles out the drz as the class dog? what class? there is no other bikes in the class besides the klx. the bikes he mention are factory race bikes that cost upwards of $3000 or more than the drz. his logic is flawed and he was just made transparent in his comparison.

hey deej, no offense buddy, but imagine the drz's power with 100#'s less weight. Don't you push 250? Don't get upset but I weigh 150 and that drz really flies with me on it.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 09KLXowner

hey deej, no offense buddy, but imagine the drz's power with 100#'s less weight. Don't you push 250? Don't get upset but I weigh 150 and that drz really flies with me on it.
No offense at all, if it felt that powerful with me on it I can't even begin to imagine what it would do if I weighed...well lets just say less. I guess its all relative, I mean look at the guy who owns the 400, his weight to cc is about the same as me to my 250. Its all good though. I will go on record as saying that the DRZ was awesome. I'm not afraid to admit it.[8D]

Old 05-29-2008, 09:02 PM
1st Gear Member

In response to joe and deej,
Thanks...it felt a lot deeper than it looked, the water really felt like it was slowing the bike down, if I went fast, it just splashed up in front so I couldn't see. my friend was okay, the only that got hurt was pride.haha We both had a good laugh about it afterwards....I dumped my ride a little later on on the side of a muddy washed out road.

Quick Reply: I RODE A DRZ 400!!!!!!!!!!