I RODE A DRZ 400!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 02:39 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: I RODE A DRZ 400!!!!!!!!!!

09KLXowner...love that tail-light...do u have a link to it?

just for kicks..here is a couple of vids of me on the KLX and my riding buddy on his DRZ crossing a damned road...
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i136.photobucket.com/player.s...e/MVI_1063.flv">

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i136.photobucket.com/player.s...e/MVI_1067.flv">

I don't think he'll see these..lol

Old 05-28-2008, 02:53 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shadetree

Hey, Deej. Don't give up on our little tiddler just yet. I understand that mods take bucks, but when we're done with them, the KLX makes quite the bike for all aspects of dual sport riding. The DRZ is a great bike, but it still gives up handling and weightto the KLX. To each his own, but I much prefer the nimble handling of the KLX to that of the more ungainly DRZ. I have friends who ride the DRZ's as well and they're a fine bike, but only one in my area has the ability to keep up with my KLX after the engine work. I understand that I am opening myself up by saying that, but the proof is in the pudding, so to speak.

As for faster and lighter, of course we could take this point a long way. KTM does a nice job with its XCR series and if you really want insane power, try the 950 Super Enduro. I rode that bike last week in Castaic, California and it will make you go blind...which explains the results of the Rawhyde Adventure Challenge. I must have had my eyes shut the whole time.

Besides, green is so much more in vogue these days, isn't it?

Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma
I might have confused a few people with my report. I was riding a un modded KLX not my bike, as far as mods go, I think I'm done with mine, and very happy with the bike, well with the exception of making a couple of hangers for a 2 gallon gas can that will rest on each of the rear foot pegs. I'll post pics when I'm done.Here is a teaser picture.

Name:  P5275085.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  116.6 KB

And yes I realize the risk of carrying gas cans on the side, and I accept that risk. I'm planning a long trip that takes me away from gas stations, so necessity is the mother of invention. So let the fabrication begin. I'll keep you posted. Sat on the bike with them on the pegs and my legs don't even touch the cans. I suppose I should camouflage them in an attempt to make it across the border right?[8D]

Old 05-28-2008, 03:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey Jason, nice job getting through that water.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:09 AM
1st Gear Member

wow he went down pretty hard is he ok? hope you helped him outa there . nice job makeing it across

Old 05-28-2008, 09:15 AM

Deej

Why don't you fit a larger tank

Looks dangerous to me

Good luck with it though

Old 05-28-2008, 09:49 AM
1st Gear Member

1. clarke tank- much safer over 100 miles before reserve.
2. FCR and Bill Blue big bore-
that will keep those drz's away, I can not believe the differance it made.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:40 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

ORIGINAL: Shadetree

Hey, Deej. Don't give up on our little tiddler just yet. I understand that mods take bucks, but when we're done with them, the KLX makes quite the bike for all aspects of dual sport riding. The DRZ is a great bike, but it still gives up handling and weightto the KLX. To each his own, but I much prefer the nimble handling of the KLX to that of the more ungainly DRZ. I have friends who ride the DRZ's as well and they're a fine bike, but only one in my area has the ability to keep up with my KLX after the engine work. I understand that I am opening myself up by saying that, but the proof is in the pudding, so to speak.

As for faster and lighter, of course we could take this point a long way. KTM does a nice job with its XCR series and if you really want insane power, try the 950 Super Enduro. I rode that bike last week in Castaic, California and it will make you go blind...which explains the results of the Rawhyde Adventure Challenge. I must have had my eyes shut the whole time.

Besides, green is so much more in vogue these days, isn't it?

Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma
I might have confused a few people with my report. I was riding a un modded KLX not my bike, as far as mods go, I think I'm done with mine, and very happy with the bike, well with the exception of making a couple of hangers for a 2 gallon gas can that will rest on each of the rear foot pegs. I'll post pics when I'm done.Here is a teaser picture.

And yes I realize the risk of carrying gas cans on the side, and I accept that risk. I'm planning a long trip that takes me away from gas stations, so necessity is the mother of invention. So let the fabrication begin. I'll keep you posted. Sat on the bike with them on the pegs and my legs don't even touch the cans. I suppose I should camouflage them in an attempt to make it across the border right?[8D]
Please do, Deej. I'm interested to see what you come-up with for brackets, for reasons other that carrying fuel, though. Sounds interesting.

Bill, I couldn't agree more. In my neck of the world, we don't have many 331cc KLX's running around, but we do have the 315cc kit with the same stage one cams I'm running with. It puts-out 30hp on the dyno and will run with all but the most highly modded DRZIn the canyons I frequent, I haven't found a DRZ rider that can beat me and most can't evenrun with me, not to say that a better rider on a modded DRZ couldn't do it though.

What really amazes me is how somebody who has never ridden an over-bored KLX with mild cams can come in here and speak like an authority on the subject.

I can appreciate why some people prefer the DRZ. You get petty decent bang for the buck. However, if I where in the market for something in that cc class, I would buy a KTM or Husky. The DRZ is the absolute dog of that displacement class.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:01 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Leem

I have mentioned this before.

Why do KLX **** spend mega coin on mods to make minimul gains.

Why don't you all just admit the DRZ is a better bike all round.

I picked mine up for $7,800 AUD on the road 2007 model brand new

It's a no brainer the KLX is just not a viable option.

Like Deej just admited in his thread.

Happy slow riding

Yawn! Leem, what I want to know is why you persist in trying to impose your faulted logic on the rest of us.

Minimal gains? I am pushing just shy of 30hp on the latest dyno run. That is a 60% gain in hp over stock. How, by any stetch of the meaning of the word, can you call that a 'minimal gain.' My butt doesn't agree with you. I'm an analog creature that measures things in relative terms and unless you arefrom some other galaxy I'm pretty sure you are thesame. The biggest problem I have with your pontifications is that you have never ridden a over-bored, mild cammed KLX, so you are basing your analysis on something you have snatched out of thin air..NOTHING!!

If I wanted to get something in the 400cc class, I would have, but it certainly wouldn't have been a DRZ400...KTM, Husaberg and even Husky are much better options.When it comes down to it, there's is not much of adifference in the sticker price of a KTM450EXC when compared to a DRZ...not enough to make me wince anyway. Thatbike is far superior to the DRZ.

I feel for ya man! You have the absolute dog of the 400cc dual sport world, so now you are reduced to comparing it to a 250 just to console yourself.Keep your chin-up, sport. Maybe youcan find a CRF230 or XT225 forum that would make you feelequally superior.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:55 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Leem

Deej

Why don't you fit a larger tank

Looks dangerous to me

Good luck with it though
You mean spend $250 on a tank that either looks ugly all the time (mine would only be for the raretrip) or buy a tank that gives you barely an extra gallon? No thanks I can carry that in my pelican case and camelbak.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Leem, I didn't post in here after riding the 400 so that former or current DRZ owners could come in here and put the KLX down. Yes I was impressed with the power, but I didn't get to ride it on the trails, and really the only thing I admitted was that I was impressed with the overall power. What I'm not impressed with is how fast and consistently you continue to look for opportunities to make us feel like the mods we have done are a waste. I rode this morning to work on my KLX like I have done for nearly 3 months in a row, and while I'm impressed with the DRZ power, I still had the same smile on my face that I did when I put the first mile on my unmodded bike. Now that I have jetted and piped the bike and switched up the gearing, I dare anyone to unimpressed after riding my bike. Now don't go and get all defensive in here, because when it comes to us KLX owners we'll fight you to the grave man.[8D]

Quick Reply: I RODE A DRZ 400!!!!!!!!!!