I RODE A DRZ 400!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 09:04 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: I RODE A DRZ 400!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys, its all good, I hope I didn't offend anyone with my DRZ excitement, I was just impressed by the power, but like they say, there is no replacement of displacement. But you know, the guy that owns the 400 and my other friend both would rather have the KLX because of its nimbleness on the tight trails. And I agree. I do need to get my bike in to have my friend with the stock KLX ride it so he can see what great potential the bike has.

Galva (Glen) , you are totally right the KLX is a 250 and the DRZ is a 400, its not fair to compare them the way I did. I guess I let my always excitement get the better of me, and Iowa, whatever I might have said or not have said in the past, I can see totally where you were/are coming from. That's one thing I will always do, is to admit when I have been wrong. Of course back when I had the mods done to my bike, yes I took offense, because the difference between mine ad a stock bike was night and day. Anyway, it doesn't matter if you have a brand new KLX and don't ever plan on doing anything to it, or you have the big bore kit, carb, jetting and whatever else, I respect and am glad to know all of you great people.

eas, I love my green machine, just ask anyone on here. I have invested a lot of time making it my own, and the same goes for this great site, and I am glad that you feel the same way, I kind of thought you were just razzing me about the post, and it was justly deserved. If I can't take it from a newer member then there is something wrong on my part. Thanks for the reminder. Oh and in the future, if you want to give someone like me a good old fashioned ribbing, like we all do, just add a few well placed smileys in the post. I over use them, but I hope it keeps me out of trouble for the most part. [8D] [sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley31.gif]

Old 05-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

as usual, it's all good buddy. glad you liked the DRZ, but don't go buy one. You'll regret it for the tranny if nothing else. Just do the big-bore kit and it will feel a little like that DRZ minus around 8 horses.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

That's funny you should mention the tranny, I was doing 85 and went to shift to 6th and it wasn't there.[8D] Then I remembered that it doesn't have 6th gear. Oh well. I still think the perfect combination would be the KLX 250 for local street and trails, and the 2008 KLR 650 for longer trips for two up.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Think that felt like power compared to the KLX?
First time I tried anything other than my KLX was a Husaberg 550.. Something like 55-60 rw-hp... It was rediculous. My next bike I'm pretty sure. So light, but yet soooo much torque, no matter where you are in the rpm range. Get em street legal no problems too.

SO funny, I was so used to just hammering the ol' KLX wide open, and when I did this on the berg, it wasn't quite as slow on the pickup. THe power was RIGHT there!

Old 05-27-2008, 10:12 PM

I have mentioned this before.

Why do KLX **** spend mega coin on mods to make minimul gains.

Why don't you all just admit the DRZ is a better bike all round.

I picked mine up for $7,800 AUD on the road 2007 model brand new

It's a no brainer the KLX is just not a viable option.

Like Deej just admited in his thread.

Happy slow riding

Old 05-27-2008, 11:01 PM
1st Gear Member

The KLX 250 should not even be compared to the DZR 400?........two totaly different bikes and power plants. Its pretty simple when choosing a bike IMO.......and it comes down to this.......money for one , what your going to use the bike for MOST of the time and of course if your one of those dudes that is geneticly bigger then other people on vast proportions then you should be choosing a bike to hold your bulk comfortably . If I was going to get a bigger bike it would be the KLX 450 hands down forget the DZR.........[:@]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNBpR...eature=related
Cheers!

Old 05-27-2008, 11:48 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shaydara

The KLX 250 should not even be compared to the DZR 400?........two totaly different bikes and power plants. Its pretty simple when choosing a bike IMO.......and it comes down to this.......money for one , what your going to use the bike for MOST of the time and of course if your one of those dudes that is geneticly bigger then other people on vast proportions then you should be choosing a bike to hold your bulk comfortably . If I was going to get a bigger bike it would be the KLX 450 hands down forget the DZR.........[:@]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNBpR...eature=related
Cheers!
I'd go for a KTM. The thing is that The KLX is an awesome Bike to get your skills on. I would have had some bad wrecks on a KTM 450 but the little KLX is so light & nimble. The lower power is actually good if you aren't a phenominal rider. After a year or so when the KLX starts to feel too Mopedish, then get a KTM 450 or 530 EXC-R.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:15 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Leem

I have mentioned this before.

Why do KLX **** spend mega coin on mods to make minimul gains.

Why don't you all just admit the DRZ is a better bike all round.

I picked mine up for $7,800 AUD on the road 2007 model brand new

It's a no brainer the KLX is just not a viable option.

Like Deej just admited in his thread.

Happy slow riding

hahha, eloquent arent you? [8D]
the DRZ does dirt and road fair... the tranny blows in the DRZ.. my ridin bud has one, he bitches about the gearing all the time on the road. in the tight nasty stuff he gets thrown around good while im smokin him. on the open stuff/pavement he walks all over me. each bike does something well. it all comes down to what you need the machine for. btw, tommorrow we have a date for some gnarly terrain we stumbled upon memorial day. this time well have a decent cam with us and ill have a kickass ride report for you guys tommorrow. ill be sure to include both DRZ footage AND KLX footage over some nasty stuff for comparison.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey Deej, I appreciate the report, for what it's worth. I can't count the number of times I've sat on the DRZ at the Suzuki dealer. I could pretty much tell by sitting on it that it was too much bike for me, but it's great to hear someone who is so familiar with the klx 250s talk about riding one! I have ridden the klr 250 for two years (over 3000 miles) and NEVER laid it down. (Things don't heal as well when you reach your 40's! I still live with pains from injuries from my 20's) I wouldn't be able to say that had I been riding the DRZ. The 250 is just a much easier bike to handle, which, in my opinion, is more fun!

Old 05-28-2008, 01:30 AM
1st Gear Member

I did a few laps around a mx course on a DRZ400 and found it to be a nice tractable bike. What I didnt like was that it felt heavy in tight stuff and in the air. The power felt ok (mild for cc rating) , more than my KLX but less than my old XR. The only thing I liked in the handling department that was better was that it seemed to track truer when chopping into corners, my KLX feels downright scary right there.
Ahem, no I wouldnt buy one for a dirt bike.
Lee

Quick Reply: I RODE A DRZ 400!!!!!!!!!!