I RODE A DRZ 400!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 05:55 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default I RODE A DRZ 400!!!!!!!!!!

I don't even know how to put it into words, so I'll use one word. TORQUE!!!!! I know I have always said that my bike felt like a rocket, and that I wished everyone could ride my bike, but this weekend I got to actually ride a 2007 DRZ 400, and the bike was scary powerful. I went out from camp just on the gravel road and pulled a straight up wheelie in the first three gears. Not just a foot off the ground, but instantly up to the balancing point. I can still remember IG (Travis) talking about how much low end grunt and torque these bikes had, but until this weekend I was sceptical, but a buddy of mine brought his bike to the annual camp out, and told me to give it a try. I was so excited that I didn't even put on the helmet, I just went for it, as though I was some 14 year old invincible kid.

Well after riding it a few times up and down on the gravel road, I just had to see what this thing felt like on the open. So another buddy of mine that just bought a used (400 mile) 2006 KLX last week told me to go for a ride. Ok let me back it up a second. I rode his stock 06 KLX with just the air box lid off and I have to say, and I certainly don't mean any disrespect by this to new members but WHAT A DOG!!! I can't believe that my bike was ever this gutless.

But then again, it was my first bike after 20 years, so I suppose anything would feel like a lot of power. Anyway me and the 07 DRZ owner went for a 10 mile ride, some road and some dirt, and I rode the KLX then after a few miles he had me switch and ride his bike, well on the highway, I got on the 400 and it was like a rocket, and I mean super fast, it was sliding me back on the seat...literally. So now I want a DRZ 400. It didn't feel too heavy, it felt perfect. CRAP!!! I should have never got on that bike. It had so much thrust that it actually made me nervous. The kind of nervous that if something ran out in front of me while accelerating that there was no way I was going to be able to stop. I hit 85 mph in what seemed like just a few seconds, and when I looked back in the mirror, my friend on the KLX was so far back that I couldn't even tell if that was him.

Ok back to reality for a minute. No I'm not selling my KLX, but yes if I could do it all over again, right out of the box with no mods, the DRZ would be the perfect bike. No mods needed. Here is a picture of the 250 and the 400 and also one of my big friend that I think weighs 380. He says that the bike is under powered, but that's like me saying my 49cc moped is under powered..uhhhhhhh DUH!!!![8D]

Oh and this at our camping spot almost 2 hours away, and the reason I didn't take my bike is that my wife had to work on sat and sun, so we just headed in for one night, and I didn't have $160.00 to fill up the truck to haul the bike in, but now in retrospect I could have rode the bike. You live and learn, and there is always next year.

DRZ and KLX

As you can plainly see, Ole is a big dude.
Name:  P5265017.jpg
Views: 1257
Size:  146.1 KB

Name:  P5265026.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  130.9 KB

I wish I could have had the wife take a few pics of me on the 400 doing wheelies, but it all happened so fast that it was over before I knew it..........hmmmmm sounds like my first honeymoon.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:31 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: I RODE A DRZ 400!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Deej, isn;t that the 'S' model as well, over here we have an S and an E model, I think the E model probably goes a bit better than the S, anyway interesting, I just looked up prices here in AUS DRZ400E (enduro Model) RRP $8790.00 AUS, so I could have had this instead of $7000 + 1800 on mods.. And would have ended up with maybe a decent bike... But I love the KLX to much so I'm gonna stop thinking about it right now.

Cheers
Chris.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Yep the DRZ certainly has the "mumbo" straight out of the box.

There are 4 of us in my regular riding group.

2 with DRZ400's (stock) and 2 with KLX250 (both have 300 kits and other mods)

The difference is vast.

Low, mid, top, response everywhere.
The DRZ has a really strong engine.
It also IMHO has better suspension.
They soak up the bumps much better, and handle sand with a lot less effort.

BUT, where we on the KLX's get back at the DRZ boys is when it's tight.
The DRZ are bigger and heavier and take a lot more effort in the tight stuff.
Plus the DRZ carries it's weight high when compared to the KLX.
It can be a handful

What it gained on the swings, it lost on the roundabouts.

On the road it's a no brainer. The DRZ is simply a better bike.

When I was buying it was seat height that in the end tipped me in the direction of the KLX.
When your 5'4" the DRZ is a monster.

In hindsight it would have been easier and less expensive to buy a DRZ and work on weight reduction and seat lowering.
Now, I realise that both can be achieved without too much trouble.
$A500 will have the forks and shock professionally lowered.
Another $500 or so for a slip on and new rear fender.
Rip off everything that is not essential. (ADR stuff mainly)
Job done.
The motor requires no work.

The above is my opinion after spending many hours on both bikes.
When ever the tracks are wide and open I swap with a mate and spend some time aboard a DRZ.
He curses my KLX and wants to swap back as soon he can.
The lack of power and response do his head in.
When I give the DRZ back it's always a bit disappointing.

But, when the going gets tight.
Lots of single tracks etc, the KLX is more at home.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:24 PM
1st Gear Member

PLease do yourself a favor and DO NOT EVER TRY A KTMafter buying an drz400 or you will regret buying the Drz. You will see the same difference between the 2 just like it is with the klx and drz. First time I tried a drz was when I had my 2003 Ktm 640enduro...and man that Drz felt like a moped compare to my ride. Today I understood that you don't need all those hp and big bike weight to have fun off road. Now when I get off my Klx300S and ride the same drz I tried a few years back It feel like a rocket...and imagine when I take my wife 640 that she still have out for a spin...its even worse. It all depends what you want for a bike.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:30 PM
1st Gear Member

My dad has an '06 DRZ-400... once my riding improves I want to give his a try... its just too big and scary for me to learn on, to be honest. But once I get my sealegs, I wanna try his out. His isn't stock, either. Opened airbox, rejet, geared down, etc.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey, Deej. Don't give up on our little tiddler just yet. I understand that mods take bucks, but when we're done with them, the KLX makes quite the bike for all aspects of dual sport riding. The DRZ is a great bike, but it still gives up handling and weightto the KLX. To each his own, but I much prefer the nimble handling of the KLX to that of the more ungainly DRZ. I have friends who ride the DRZ's as well and they're a fine bike, but only one in my area has the ability to keep up with my KLX after the engine work. I understand that I am opening myself up by saying that, but the proof is in the pudding, so to speak.

As for faster and lighter, of course we could take this point a long way. KTM does a nice job with its XCR series and if you really want insane power, try the 950 Super Enduro. I rode that bike last week in Castaic, California and it will make you go blind...which explains the results of the Rawhyde Adventure Challenge. I must have had my eyes shut the whole time.

Besides, green is so much more in vogue these days, isn't it?

Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma

Old 05-27-2008, 02:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Right on Bill, I still love my KLX, but I guess its the grass is always greener syndrome.[8D] Yea green is nice but Mark's new grey/black KLX is looking pretty cool too. I'll try and not obsess over the DRZ too much. You should have seen the look on my wife's face after I came back from the ride. She had that "no you're not getting another bike" look.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Deej,
for about 6 tanks of diesel, you can go big bore.

Torque feels good.

ps. If I catch you riding without a helmet, I'll tan your hide, and you won't be riding for a month.[sm=icon_beat.gif]

Old 05-27-2008, 02:41 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

Right on Bill, I still love my KLX, but I guess its the grass is always greener syndrome.[8D] Yea green is nice but Mark's new grey/black KLX is looking pretty cool too. I'll try and not obsess over the DRZ too much. You should have seen the look on my wife's face after I came back from the ride. She had that "no you're not getting another bike" look.
I know that look.
i get it every time my wife catches me looking at bike mags.

And don't get me wrong.
I do love my KLX.
Plus, when you do get ahead on a tight slippery trail where nimbleness beats power, you did it on a little 250!
Liking catching a big fish on light tackle.
Somehow a bit more satisfying

Old 05-27-2008, 02:50 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: a16tony

Deej,
for about 6 tanks of diesel, you can go big bore.

Torque feels good.

ps. If I catch you riding without a helmet, I'll tan your hide, and you won't be riding for a month.[sm=icon_beat.gif]
Yes sir!! Trust me the wife was already giving m a bad time setting a bad example to all the other young future riders that were there.[8D]

Wait so a big bore isa grand now?

6 fillups X $170.00= $1020.00 YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: I RODE A DRZ 400!!!!!!!!!!