I rode a Connie!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 09:22 PM
1st Gear Member

I know you're a Kawi guy, but you should also look at test riding the Yamaha FJR. You can also find some fantastic deals on Honda ST1100s. A bullet proof bike with an engine like an electric turbine - the power is there all across the rpm range, you don't have to wait till 5 or 6 grand to feel it. A 96 or later ABS model is a primo sport touring ride.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:06 AM
1st Gear Member

I thought you were having an affair with a girl called Connie.

We don't call it a Concours.
Here it's a 1400GTR

Nice, but that muffler is way HUGE
There must be a nice slip on though.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:15 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Well guys I finally pulled the trigger.
Here she is.

After riding and learning on the little KLX for six months I traded it in on last weekend the new Connie.
I already miss my little red KLX.
She took me a lot of places and taught me a lot but now it's time to stretch my legs and go explore long distances and interesting places with the misses along to share the experience.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Very nice!!!! Congrats on the new one. Wouldn't it be nice to be rich, so you wouldn't have to decide which one to keep, only which one to ride.
Dan

Old 04-13-2010, 02:47 AM

I like the Connies too, maybe someday I will get one, for now I will stick with the klx and the ZX10, if you thought the Connie was a rocket take a spin on a ZX10, its a beast

Old 04-13-2010, 06:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the new bike. The GTR1400 is the best bike I have ever ridden, I'd love to be able to afford one.

That's the one I rode, my ride report is below

Easing the clutch out at idle the first impression was this feels light for such a big bike, it turned very easily as we idled out of the yard behind the lead rider. Down to the lights and wait till they went green turned to the right and eased on the power as we straightened up. 2nd impression was this thing pulls strong from very low revs. As we were still in the city I couldn't get up it much but the low down grunt was staggering as I proved once we got out of town. Oh yeah I also noticed it was the smoothest motorcycle I have ever ridden, no vibes at all through the seat, the handlebars and best of all the mirrors were clear (not that you need them much)
Once we cleared the city I could play a little more with the gearbox and throttle testing it out a bit doing roll ons at low revs as well as getting the revs up a bit (don't think I went over 6,000) don't forget this is one of the fastest and most powerful bikes on the road! I also played with the electronicly adjustable screen, when I started off it was on the highest setting which was buffeting my helmet around so I lowered it down and during the ride tried different positions, I ended up leaving it in the lowest position where my helmet was in the smoothest air.
We rolled along at around 110 - 120 kmh with short dashes up to 150 - 160 down the freeway passing cars like they didn't exsist for approx 20km before turning off the freeway onto the old highway. Needless to say this was the fun part with a few curves where the 1400 really handled very well, the name sports tourer suits this bike perfectly. Sure it may not flick like a supersports however once it's in a turn it stays where you put it and just handles anything like bumps and potholes. It is very sweet and neutral in the turns and the suspension is first rate and you don't even know you are riding a shaft drive bike. The brakes also are excellent, hauling the speed off at eyeball bulging rates. The GTR also has ABS which I did not try out but I'm sure it works.
I could go on but I won't bore you anymore except to say I think I'm in love, this bike has the lot, even comes with colour matched panniers.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=28123

Neil Staintune make a very nice looking muffler to replace that awful thing Kawasaki put on it

Last edited by MaverickAus; 04-13-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RandyG
I like the Connies too, maybe someday I will get one, for now I will stick with the klx and the ZX10, if you thought the Connie was a rocket take a spin on a ZX10, its a beast
I also had a ride on a ZX10 and your right it is a beast, both bikes will just about pull your arms out of their sockets!

I rode both the ZX10 and ZX7 in the picture I was impressed, the 7 of course does not have the meaty low down grunt of the 10 but it still gets along quickly. I also rode the Ninja 650 in the picture.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:58 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yes the Honda St1100 is another great bike, I sat on one in the bike shop last year, it was pretty sweet.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Frontier
It's not the camera angle, that nade launcher is for real!
It also tells all the chicks that you're swinging some serious pipe..

We took the bags off in the showroom as I wanted to see what the bike looked like without them.
Congrats on the ride! I really like the looks of the newer Concours..or '1400GTR' as it's called here in Japan. If I were in the market for that type of bike, the choice between the Concours and the Yammi FJR1300 whould be tough. I think the FJR looks a bit more compact.

Having owned a CBR1100XX and a YZF1000R, I can definitely identify with the adrenaline fix. Happy miles to ya bro!

Old 04-15-2010, 02:17 AM
1st Gear Member

ohhh no look at the klx it turned it head away from you lol

Quick Reply: I rode a Connie!