I rode a Connie!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 02:29 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default I rode a Connie!

Whoo Weeeeee! This baby can fly!
I've been looking at numerous sport tourers so my wife and I can share the riding experience on something that can cover some miles.
Being a Kawasaki man and a fan of the ZX-14 I think I've settled on a C14 Councours.
It's a great looking bike that's easy for me to handle and has the power I'm looking for.
I've driven and flown some very powerful machines in my day but nothing and I mean nothing compares to the sheer explosive acceleration of this bike. I've never experienced anything like it and it took me an hour to come down from the adrenaline.
Not really knowing what to expect I was very cautious when I rode it and eased into it a little at a time. Finally getting my nerve up while covering the clutch and the rear brake I did some roll on's through second and third gear.
Over 6000 rpm the bike comes unglued, it's like riding a stick of dynamite.
Hang on tight!
It can also be very docile which is especially important when my wife would be on board.
Come spring time I'll see about getting one as the local dealers have really slashed prices on the 09's but the 2010 models have a large number of improvements. If I can wait that long..

Sorry for being a bit off topic but this forum is kind of like my home lol

She's a beauty!

Old 12-01-2009, 02:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Thats Sweet!
Thanks For Sharing. Let Us Know When You Bring Her Home

Old 12-01-2009, 03:20 AM
1st Gear Member

No need to apologize for a good ride report. I've always wanted to try the concours, its such a beast, and lots of power to haul 2 asses. Good luck on the buy, get us pics when you bring her home.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:59 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I want one. Thanks for your report

Old 12-01-2009, 04:11 AM
1st Gear Member

sweet lookin' ride!!!

Old 12-01-2009, 04:20 AM
1st Gear Member

I have been eyeballing that same bike. If I can find a way to fit one in the budget next year, there might be one sleeping here.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:32 AM
1st Gear Member

I used to have a Concours... the original 1986 model. Aside from the fact that I got a lemon, I loved the bike! I think I had 70K miles on it when I sold it.

It was such a great open road bike... I did one 1000 mile day once, on the last day of a 2 week trip around the western states.

I commuted on it all the time... it was great in traffic, bad weather, whatever. I'd often open it up on off-ramps and touch 100 with ease. No effort to get it up to speed, and all the way back down. If the coast was clear, roll on the throttle and power slide at turns from a stop sign, and when it started to hook up, you would lift the front end gently, while leaned over.... soooo smooth.

It would do an indicated 135 (once anyway), but it was completely stable up to only 120

I can't imagine the power the new bikes have....

The big bike had really long legs... now that I don't do weekend trips all the time, I prefer smaller, fun bikes, like the KLX250, of course.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Is it just the camera angle, or does that thing have a ginormous muffler?

Old 12-02-2009, 01:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Thought they came stock with hard bags or did they just take them off for the test ride?

Old 12-02-2009, 02:35 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

It's not the camera angle, that nade launcher is for real!
It also tells all the chicks that you're swinging some serious pipe..

We took the bags off in the showroom as I wanted to see what the bike looked like without them.

Quick Reply: I rode a Connie!