I Now Have The Bike I Wanted When I Purchased My KLX250S!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 08:56 PM
Default I Now Have The Bike I Wanted When I Purchased My KLX250S!

Just got back from an almost 6 hour dualsport ride through the Ocala National Forest. I stayed in the southwest quarter of the area, but still ran over 100 miles of dirt, backroads and some 70 mph (indicated) speeds. The bike never went to reserve, thanks mainly to the 3.7 gallon Acerbis tank that is now on it in place of the "peanut-sized" 1.9 stock tank that Kawasaki had hooked on the bike.

All the "Grapevine Mods" worked so great together, 13 tooth sprocket let's you use 3rd and 4th gear on the dirt roads - carb mods make the bike respond to your throttle inputs - airbox mod helps let the bike get up to 90 mph (indicated) - exhaust mod just lets everyone know a Briggs & Stratton lawnmower is not running down the road!

This is what I purchased my KLX250S for - assaulting the roadways of the Ocala National Forest. Now that I have upgraded the bike as I have, I must say it is the perfect tool for the job!

Thank you Kawasaki for bringing this awesome little bike to "Crusierville, USA" ! ! !

Now that I can ride for almost 6 hours with having to stop for fuel, I wonder when someone will come out with an upgraded seat?

To be quite honest, the bike runs so dang good, it is a premier dualsport bike IMHO. It can go just about anywhere, it will go fast enough to keep up with all but Atlanta Interstate Traffic and do just about anything you ask of it!

In my opinion, it is the best small displacement street bike out there at this time! Bar none!

Old 05-25-2006, 10:33 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: I Now Have The Bike I Wanted When I Purchased My KLX250S!

Hey Marty, do you have some pics of the tank mounted?

Old 05-25-2006, 10:49 PM
1st Gear Member

I notice that above 7K I get some serious vibes, enough to hear some plastic rattle (everything stock, ~270 miles on it, with 1 oil change at 200), how is it when you are running 70 ish with the 13 tooth. I imagine you would be pulling around 7500? Today out riding with my dad I got up to 70 a few times and it was justa buzzin (20 psi in the stock tires too,). How's the power delivery? I was riding in 5th around 45 and went to pass a truck to catch up to my dad and wound it out to around 8000-8500 and took 6th and it still was less than exciting going around, I was hung out in the other lane longer than I wanted (10-15 seconds maybe).

Yeah some pics are always good.

Old 05-25-2006, 10:55 PM

Mike,

I certainly do!

Here's a link to the thread I posted most of them in.

Here's a couple of new ones.

I routed the overflow line to an already existing frame mounted retainer. Seems to work well.

Name:  AcerbisInstalled6.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  109.0 KB

Accessibility to the radiator is very good. The radiator is also well protected.

Name:  AcerbisInstalled5.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  102.2 KB

The only problem I had with the entire installation was with interference of the choke. While I don't normally use the choke since I've re-jetted the carb and opened up the pilot screw, I still want to have access to it. I have not had a chance to play with it yet, but it looks like I will be able to make some room by decreasing the size of the already small **** on the choke. Another solution might be to shorten the length the know protrudes by about 1/2 inch.

Name:  AcerbisInstalled7.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  64.2 KB

Aside from that one issue, all you need to do is follow the directions that Acerbis sends with the tank.

There is nothing else that you need to order, simply place your order with MotoSport.com and as soon as they get it shipped to them, they will ship it to you and THEN charge your card! Not the other way around like most of the other internet stores!

Old 05-26-2006, 12:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Stupid question but whats mounted on your handle bar?

Old 05-26-2006, 12:42 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm guessing GPS mount

Old 05-26-2006, 01:24 PM

It's my Ram mount.

I use it for GPS / Camcorder / Camera with remote trigger or whatever else I want to mount!

Works great!

Old 05-27-2006, 02:38 PM

I read the review in "Dual Sport News". they mentioned several times about how underpowdered the stock motor was. I laugh because with some simple carb mods, crankcase mod and a aftermarket exhaust, It has plenty of power now and I typically don't bother reving past 7000RPM and just keep grabbing gears.

Old 05-27-2006, 06:12 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Marty

It's my Ram mount.

I use it for GPS / Camcorder / Camera with remote trigger or whatever else I want to mount!

Works great!
+1 on the RAM mount. I have two - one for my GPS and one for a camera - solid when you cinche them down and easy to adjust and remove also. Good design.

Old 05-27-2006, 10:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Yep. RAM mounts are the answer. Now, what's your question?