I need taller bars.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:55 AM
1st Gear Member
Default I need taller bars.

Took my '09 out for the first real test this weekend and and found that the ProTaper CR Hi bends are good enough sitting, but I need another inch or so standing. The brake line, clutch cables, and throttles are all pretty much out of room. Is there a replacement clutch and throttle (maybe from a KLX300) that will give me the extra length I need to put some risers under these bars?
I looked closely at the routing, and don't thnk I can "fudge" enough to make the stock parts work. I can always have a longer brakeline made up if I can solve the other two

Old 02-08-2010, 02:35 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Uhhhhh welcome to the forms. Give us an intro here>>>>> NEW MEMBERS AREA

Old 02-08-2010, 10:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Done

Old 02-09-2010, 12:35 AM
1st Gear Member

F the intro Buzz...

I put a Moose Raptor bend bar on my klx.....you could not go higher without new cables...a little higher would be nice, but I've lived with it for almost 4 years...so i guess its ok.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:58 AM
1st Gear Member

I woulda been OK too had I not ridden a KLX300 (plated too BTW) that had the same bend and 50mm risers back to back.... Gotta be something short of custom cables that'll gimme something apehanger-ish. I need about 25-35mm more height to be comfortable standing.

I'll go the one off cable/brakeline route if I have too, but if I can find something off the shelf

Old 02-09-2010, 01:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Buzztail
I woulda been OK too had I not ridden a KLX300 (plated too BTW) that had the same bend and 50mm risers back to back.... Gotta be something short of custom cables that'll gimme something apehanger-ish. I need about 25-35mm more height to be comfortable standing.

I'll go the one off cable/brakeline route if I have too, but if I can find something off the shelf
give it a day or two....this is a slow forum..but answers pop up, I could use a little more height too.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Buzztail
Took my '09 out for the first real test this weekend and and found that the ProTaper CR Hi bends are good enough sitting, but I need another inch or so standing. The brake line, clutch cables, and throttles are all pretty much out of room. Is there a replacement clutch and throttle (maybe from a KLX300) that will give me the extra length I need to put some risers under these bars?
I looked closely at the routing, and don't thnk I can "fudge" enough to make the stock parts work. I can always have a longer brakeline made up if I can solve the other two
Had the same problem on mine (a 2009) ... after MUCH fiddling around finally accepted if I wanted another 1" taller bars (and I would be really, really happy with standing position) I would have to lengthen ... clutch cables, throttle cables, front brake cable AND @##@!# wiring to the controls!

On my bike the wiring now has zero slack at full lock turns with the Renthals I managed to fit on. They have s-l-i-g-h-t-l-y more rise than stock and less sweep back. The ONLY other way I see is higher bar + less sweep back + cut bars substantially narrower ... then I would have great standing position but bars like 24" wide ... NOT

Old 02-13-2010, 12:50 AM
1st Gear Member

I really don't have an issue with doing away with most of the switchgear. I can get down to not much more than a starter button and a kill switch pretty easily. A horn, and hi/lo switch are all that's required in Florida really.... I'm coming off of a plated 200EXC, so even the started button is a bonus

Old 02-13-2010, 01:05 AM
1st Gear Member

im running the tusk fat bar, atv bend, and 1/2 inch risers, only had to lengthen the clutch cable.