I need some help! Broken Bolt!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 12:26 PM
1st Gear Member
Default I need some help! Broken Bolt!

Hello guys.

I did something stupid. I broke a bolt on my KLX.
There are three bolts keeping the side plastics in place. One of them also keeps the seat in place. I broke this bolt in the socket.

How do I get it out?
Where do I buy a new, identical bolt? (I dont want mismatched bolts)

Hope you guys can help. I am sort of a noob when it comes to this.

Here is a picture:

https://i.imgur.com/KfFEpzD.jpg

Last edited by Nikolaj Lykke; 06-19-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:10 PM
1st Gear Member

You need a bolt extractor, commonly called an easy out.
Once you get one, there are some tricks to getting it to work correctly.
A machine shop could do it for a few bucks or a six pack of beer, but it's good to know how to do it yourself.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:20 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

If you go the easy-out route, be patient and careful. If you think you have a problem getting a broken bolt out, you'll have much more fun trying to get the broken bolt and broken easy-out removed. I hate the tradition easy-outs. I like the version that has a drill bit sized for the bolt, and then you tap a splined shaft into the drilled hole in the broken bolt. They work tons better than the old fashioned reverse screw type.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I bought a metric hardware kit at Cycle Gear about a year ago and it has all the common size bolts, washers, nuts, etc. we use.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
I bought a metric hardware kit at Cycle Gear about a year ago and it has all the common size bolts, washers, nuts, etc. we use.
Trackside bolt kit. You get a bunch of hardware for the price of an OEM bolt.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:21 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

The 6mm X 1.00 bolts that hold on most of the plastic are nothing special. And if you're concerned with matching bolts, just buy a set of 6mm X 1.00 bolts with the same heads at a hardware store that have the same length as the OEM units. While I don't want my bike to look like crap, I'm not too concerned about show quality of every nut and bolt on the bike. I doubt anyone will notice that one of your plastic's bolts is a 10mm head while the rest of them are 8mm.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Hi all ! Sometimes the bolt will stick out of the backside , this makes it real easy to get out . Also , don't worry about the bolts matching , you can't see both sides of the bike at the same time anyway !

Old 06-19-2013, 04:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
The 6mm X 1.00 bolts that hold on most of the plastic are nothing special. And if you're concerned with matching bolts, just buy a set of 6mm X 1.00 bolts with the same heads at a hardware store that have the same length as the OEM units. While I don't want my bike to look like crap, I'm not too concerned about show quality of every nut and bolt on the bike. I doubt anyone will notice that one of your plastic's bolts is a 10mm head while the rest of them are 8mm.
For simplicity sake it's a lot easier to have them all the same head size, otherwise your switching tools when you go to remove your panels.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:41 PM
1st Gear Member

As bradluke0 mentioned: take the seat off and you might be able to just spin the bolt out. With that kind of break the bolt isn't stuck, it was over torqued and the head tore off.

Last edited by ol'klx-er; 06-19-2013 at 08:31 PM. Reason: missing word and more info
Old 06-19-2013, 05:18 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
For simplicity sake it's a lot easier to have them all the same head size, otherwise your switching tools when you go to remove your panels.
Yep...it's why I suggested getting a selection of readily available bolts...usually with 10mm heads instead of OEM 8mm heads...to replace key location bolts. On mine the 4 bolts that hold the saddle and sidecovers on are convenient to have the heads all the same size, because you're usually removing those as one service step for air filter, etc. Allen head, hex head, whatever...I wouldn't get too **** about the bolts as long as they're the proper size, and you have a tool to take them off when needed. But I guess if you want to run your KLX across the auction block at Barrett-Jackson, the sale price of the bike might be improved with some flashy bolts.

Quick Reply: I need some help! Broken Bolt!