I Need a Shim Kit for the klx - Cheapest/Best Place

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 05:07 PM
1st Gear Member
Default I Need a Shim Kit for the klx - Cheapest/Best Place

I just changed the oil after my Sunday morning adventure on some new trails I found on my local property appraiser website and I decided to check my valve clearances.

One intake valve would not even accept my smallest feeler other intake was also a lil too tight according to spec. One exhaust valve was outta spec too.

I googled a little and found shim kit for $70.....that seems steep for a box of lil spacers

Suggestions

Old 01-13-2008, 05:11 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: I Need a Shim Kit for the klx - Cheapest/Best Place

That's about the going rate for the whole kit. If you bought them individually from the dealer that kit would cost you about two hundred and fifty thousand dollars.

I have the hot-cams kit that I'll probably never use again. A few spacers are missing though. Let me know if you are interested and/or make offer. I can let you know before hand which spacers are missing/included. Unfortunately, you generally don't know which spacers you need until you open up your bike and see what spaces are currently installed. I think I paid $80 for it.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Please PM or post ....... don't forget the mullet discount.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Do ya like Florida lobster tails.... I could go catch a few an ship em on dry ice.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:39 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Looks like it is complete with 3 shims of every size except NO 2.95 shims, only 2 3.00 shims. And it has 7 3.05 shims. If you happen to need 2.95 shims, this probably won't be such a good deal.

Man, those lobster tails sure sound good, but these shims would hardly come close to an even trade for such a generous offer. I'll PM you my terms, the Mullet discount taken into consideration.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Find out which shims other KLX riders use and just buy the refill kits for those from Hot Cams. I would get about 3 sets of each of the most used. May cost a little more, but you have enough of the right ones.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I have had great luck just going to the dealer and getting individual Honda or Hot Cams shims.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Not to blow anybody's deal...Why do you want a box of 100 shims when you never need more than 4 at most at one time unless you're in the business of adjusting valves on KLX250's ?
Just take your readings, remove shims remembering where they came from, and purchase the ones you need to give you your correct tolerances. Ah, you say, how about the one I couldn't get a read on because it was too tight. Just get a couple of shims, one being the difference in the setting range and the other a couple of thousandths larger. EG: Say the setting is .08 to .012, get one that's 12 thousandths smaller than what's in there and another that's 14 thousandths smaller. It's rare that you're more than 1 or 2 thousandths tight. If you install the shim that's 14 thousandths thinner and you were 2 thousandths tight, you'll end up with 12 thousandths clearance which is at the high end of the specification which is good because as your valve seats more it gets tighter. If you end up a thousandth looser than spec, I personally wouldn't be concerned because of the same reason.(unless you're building a 16,000 RPM drag bike in which case I'd want to be more towards the bottom end of the specs. so it would breath better) and always remember the wise saying "slappy valves are happy valves"

Old 01-14-2008, 09:35 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

The reason I bought the whole box was because I called the dealer before hand and asked if they could sell me individual shim sizes. They said sure, but it is a special order item and takes at least a week to get in. I didn't want my bike to be apart for a week, and I didn't want to take it all apart, measure the shims, put it all back together, and then do it all again a week later when the shims came in. So I paid a few dollars more for a complete set so that I knew I would have all the shims I needed on hand and I wouldn't have to wait who knows how long with my bike apart in the garage waiting on the needed sizes to arrive.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:34 PM
1st Gear Member

That makes sense. It kinda sucks that most dealers don't carry any inventory to speak of.

Quick Reply: I Need a Shim Kit for the klx - Cheapest/Best Place