I need the .pdf 2009 service manual

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 04:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by oldfart_newrider
Really? It does have *some* instructions, it's a vast improvement over nothing IMHO.
Here's a couple of examples. I was checking out how to remove the carb for re-jetting and it doesn't instructions for that and just now I realized that I don't have big enough metric sockets for things like the wheels and the CS sprocket. It gives me the torque values, but not the socket sizes!

Old 06-25-2011, 05:02 PM
1st Gear Member

The service manual is not a "how to book" It is for those who have some skills in this area. If you need a "how to" buy a aftermarket manual. I think if you do, you'll appreciate the service manual. (nothing quite like technical drawings)

Old 06-25-2011, 05:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sakiman289
The service manual is not a "how to book" It is for those who have some skills in this area. If you need a "how to" buy a aftermarket manual. I think if you do, you'll appreciate the service manual. (nothing quite like technical drawings)
I turn wrenches for a living. My title is Engineering Lab Tech. I actually establish torque values the old fashion way, by feel and relay my values to the Engineers who finalize my rough draft into the work instructions and specs for the assembly areas and repair department. Been doing this since 1981.

I love my bike, but paying $70 for a manual that doesn't tell me how to remove the carb or what size socket I need to pull the rear axle is useless to me. The drawings are nice though especially when getting into tubing and wire routing, but otherwise, pretty much useless for the amount of money I paid for it.

At the time I bought the manual, the above link didn't work and I thought why not just buy the dang thing? I was expecting something like a Clymers manual for cars and was disappointed when I got it.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:36 PM
1st Gear Member

BTW, can anyone give me the sizes of the bigger sockets Ill need? And a link would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Actually, the service manual is designed for the Kawasaki service technicians, not the ower to wrench on the bike. I worked for Chrysler a long while back and all the manuals were written specifically for "US" the mechanics. When they call out special tools for doing specific jobs that no mechanic will buy,,, the tools are in the parts room for you to sign out and use. Al those specialty tools are not owned by an individual mechanic, they are supplied by kawasaki.
end of rant........

Last edited by GaryC; 06-25-2011 at 10:13 PM. Reason: I cant spell well!!!!!!!!!!! and i have fat little fingers!!
Old 06-25-2011, 06:58 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't think that even the Clymer/Haynes/etc manuals, which are written for owners, tell you to "take a 14 mm socket to remove nut x, turning it counterclockwise", they are likely, however, to mention when a fastener is left-hand thread and needs to be turned clockwise to remove.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Ill give yall that the manual has pretty pictures, but I still don't know what size sockets I need! For $70, I should of gotten that info!

Old 06-25-2011, 09:25 PM
1st Gear Member

If you turn wrenches for a living i hardly think that you can not figure out what size the axle nuts are.
If you need to cheat, use a left handed metric adjustable wrench, and torque it to 1/2 thumb pound of pressure, then remove the wrench and measure the gap.
Or you could use a dial vernier, metric of course.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GaryC
If you turn wrenches for a living i hardly think that you can not figure out what size the axle nuts are.
If you need to cheat, use a left handed metric adjustable wrench, and torque it to 1/2 thumb pound of pressure, then remove the wrench and measure the gap.
Or you could use a dial vernier, metric of course.
No need to get aggressive friend. If my bike was in a garage where I could just walk out and measure the nuts myself, I would do that with my digital Mitutoyos. But being I live in an apartment and my bike is in a U-Haul storage unit, I thought it would be easier to buy all the tools I needed while sitting in the AC in this 100*f weather. That's what I assumed I paid $70 for!

Now, can I get some help on what size sockets I need here, or do I start a new thread?

Last edited by Biff-a-nator; 06-25-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Front is 10mm pinch bolts, 17mm axle and 19 mm for the axle nut.
Rear is 12mm open end wrench for the chain tensioner, 22 mm axle and 27mm axle nut.
not getting agressive, just didn't understand until you stated the bike is not with you.
Now it makes sence though.

Quick Reply: I need the .pdf 2009 service manual