I need a dual sport kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 06:50 PM
1st Gear Member
Default I need a dual sport kit

I need a dual sport kit, but I don't really like Baja Designs. Do you guys know of any others? A buddy of mine put one on his WR450, but I can't get ahold of him right now. The plate holder and brake light were just under the rear fender and they didn't really hang down at all. The plate was almost parallel to the fender, and the brake light was sandwiched between the plate and the fender. I've seen this before on other bikes around here that have been converted. Any ideas guys?

Thank you.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:13 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: I need a dual sport kit

Malcom Smith Motorsports used to make some. E-Line too. What kind of bike? Depending on if you already have a lighting coil or not & how "legal" your state requires maybe just cobb one together yourself?

Old 08-08-2007, 07:54 PM
1st Gear Member

The bike already has a headlight, but it's not a high/low beam switchable. The tail light has no brake switch and it's not very visible. It's like four LEDs in the fender. All I really need is the horn, high beam/low beam, brake light, plate holder, and one mirror. It's very easy toget a street title in Michigan.

I'll check on those names you gave me. Thank you very much.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:20 PM
1st Gear Member

I put the baja designs on my ttr and it works great for what it is and is pretty cheap overall

Old 08-09-2007, 04:10 AM
1st Gear Member

It looks like that kit is about $450. Am I missing something, or do you consider that cheap?

I was thinking more along the lines of $200-$250.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:37 AM
1st Gear Member

I have an 06 WR and this what I did. Added a K&S switch, hydraulic brake switch, horn, 3 wire H4 headlight pigtail, homemade license plate mount from sheet metal.

The WR does come with a high/low beam H4 bulb but only has a 2 wire connector, go to local auto parts store and pick up a 3 wire H4 connector. I wired it in replacing stock and then into the K&S switch, bike nowhas high and low beam. Here's a pic of the switch...

Note with this switch I had to make spacers out of some tubing and use longer bolts to raise the hot start lever so it cleared the switch when you pull it it.

Next was the brake light, again the WR comes with a dual filament bulb in the taillight with the third wire already there for the existing brake light...just has to be wired to a switch. When you follow the 3 wires off the light and into it's plug you will see that on 2 come out on the other side, the one that is not used is the one you wire to the new brake switch and the other wire on the switch goes to power source. See the switch on top of the master cyclinder...

Name:  DSCF0016-2.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  57.9 KB

For the horn I started with a K&S economy horn but yu could barely hear the thing, so I bought an automotive "high tone" horn that is nice and loud! Wire it to the K&S switch, mounted it behind the headlight using a home made mount...

I bought my parts from http://www.gnarlyparts.com/as they have outlets in Canada and the US. If you have any questions feel free to PM me and I'll try my best to help out. I also picked up flasher relay and signals but I have not installed them yet, I have just been using hand signals for now.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:46 AM
1st Gear Member

This is not my plate mount but I used the idea to make mine, just uses the original tailight bolts to mount. Of course this would be a little different if you have an 07.

This one is sold on Ebay as is a barley street legal kit made for the WR.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Thank you for the photos and instructions. I'm going to look into some of those parts you bought.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:56 AM
1st Gear Member

acerbis might have something

Old 08-10-2007, 08:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Quick Reply: I need a dual sport kit