I messed up :( KLX250SF run till it died because of low oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 03:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Def. not parting out guys. @NorCalKLX, you're absolutely right, I love this thing. I grew such an attachment to it after spending so many hours with it in such a short period of time.

I def. don't want to cheap out and fix it right, but just looking at the cost of parts online, it seems to be just so ridiculously expensive.

Example:
Amazon.com: 2004-2007 Honda CRF250R Dirt Bike Complete Bottom End Engine Rebuild Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: 2004-2007 Honda CRF250R Dirt Bike Complete Bottom End Engine Rebuild Kit: Automotive

That's 300ish for a FULL bottom end rebuild kit.

2009 Kawasaki KLX250SF (KLX250W9F) Crankshaft | Babbitts Kawasaki Partshouse

In comparison, the crank alone is some 550ish.

I know it's OEM vs. Aftermarket, but there's nothing I can find aftermarket for the bike. It just hurts the wallet thinking about it.

All that said, I still want to do a good job of rebuilding it, or atleast replacing it with something that hasn't been cracked open yet, and is running well.

@wildcard, tell me more about this 600 dollar motor you're interested in selling. Why are you parting out? Any issues w/it? I'm seriously interested.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I have an engine, PM sent.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by raideraid

@wildcard, tell me more about this 600 dollar motor you're interested in selling. Why are you parting out? Any issues w/it? I'm seriously interested.
Nothing is wrong with the bike, in fact its damn near pristine. i dont have time to ride anymore and cant seem to get any interest in selling the bike (for a fair price) locally so i've been thinking of just parting it out. Engine is a 331 with 1000 miles on the bore kit, about 2300 miles total.

i dont have anyway to ship something like this though so it would have to be a local pickup however.

thread for the bike -

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...version-43254/

Old 09-28-2015, 03:16 PM
1st Gear Member

@lj-rubi, thanks for the offer but the price you're asking for is too high for me. Good luck w/the sale.

@wildcard I'm PMing you to continue this discussion.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry about the bike bro. well, **** happens. Im no great mechanic but im sure you could get a back one track! Btw i can check on few parts here, stuff here are brought from japan at very low auction cost. Even the stock klx250 Supermoto rims are very low (front and rear rim with the hub, disc and sprocket for USD $354.82) well pm me so i can check on few parts here. Good luck!
just saw this its a pretty old ad but check the price D-tracker,klx250 gasket for $35.48 http://ikman.lk/en/ad/d-tracker-orig...r-sale-gampaha

Last edited by kennysupermoto; 09-28-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:20 PM
Default Here's the rub.....

Well, I just did the same thing, so I'll share with you what I found so far...

The lack of oil welded the intake cam to the upper cam retainer, so new cams and retainer will be required. That's not a big deal, those parts are fairly cheap used. The big problem is that the timing chain stopped instantly on the cam sprocket, but the crankshaft kept turning- busted the timing chain (so you'll need that), busted one of the guides (so you'll need that, too), and gnawed the teeth down on the crankshaft. They're non-replaceable, and the crankshaft is a one piece deal and you already priced it out, (it's steep). Add to all this the labor to break the case open to replace it, factor in the possible damage from blown up timing chain pieces.

Now, go look for a replacement engine. It'll be less expensive. I found a hell of a good deal on a KLX300r motor. I'll lose electric start, but gain a few HP. The whole thing cost less than going for the BB Big Bore kit I was going to put in this winter.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:06 PM

Last spring, I bought a damaged 2009 KLX250S from a girl who ran the oil low, supposedly had a new piston put in and then 500 miles, the bike sounds like a tractor(See video). I'm looking for a salvaged SF, with a good motor and good wheels. Debating whether to big bore the motor and also waiting to seeing what KW brings for 2016. I haven't cracked the motor open yet.

I hadn't considered buying a KLX300 and swapping parts but that sure seems like a good idea.

I'm in AR where the dual sport and twisty riding is phenomenal.

Thx...nlp

Old 11-11-2015, 04:29 PM
Default What I found so far....

300R motor that I hoped would be plug and play has some differences. Starter parts from 250SF will not bolt on (crankshaft spindle it attaches to is different size in 300R and 250SF), so it'l be a kick only bike (no problem). Need to reconfigure the stator wiring to use the big 250SF stator under the 300R outer cover, add a kick lever, add the correct jet to the carb and put it all back together. I'll post when it's all complete.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Ya know, you might just luck out. Went through this last year. Mine lost power as the exhaust cam tried to weld itself to the head. Bent an exhaust valve. Piston was a 331, very small mark from the valve. Cam chain was fine, intake came and valves would have been usable (still have in case anyone needs them) cam chain, also fine. The only thing the bike really needed was a head. Got lucky and a fellow owner had the entire head spare of a wrecked bike. Gave him $500 for it which is about the going price used. I did get the jug honed by bill, new piston and rings as well since I was in it and there was a little wear on the piston skirt and liner.

Fast forward a year, bike runs like a dream. Doesn't burn oil any more either, which is why I ran low in the first place. I lucked out, to the tune of $900. Though I have a brand new 331 kit that I know is installed correctly. I can't rule out that the first owner may have torqued incorrectly or introduced dirt while assembling. It appears that way.