I love my KLX

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 04:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Yea he must have been insulted .. owned by a KLX 250 yea baby

Old 11-30-2011, 08:27 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I've had my KLX since '06. I have a few different bikes, but honestly I like riding this bike the best. Of all my bikes, this is the one bike that can do it all. Maybe not as well or as fast as others, but it will get the job done. If the ride entails 30 miles of blacktop, then some gnarly single-track, followed by dirt roads back home, the little KLX gets the nod.

BSing with a buddy over some brews, it hit me that the old girl could use some freshening up. She looks better in pictures than in real life. It needs fork seals, headset bearings, and a new chain and sprockets anyway, so...

...I officially have a winter project. The powder-coater and anodizer are going to be busy. Yes, I realize that for what this bike is and worth, this is a little over the top, but what the hay.

This is another reason why I keep this bike. It's easy to work on and easy to hop up. Plus, I work on it because I want to, not because I have to. I'll post more as the project progresses.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:36 PM
1st Gear Member

If you're not riding on it, might as well be tweaking on it! Looks like fun.....

Old 12-01-2011, 12:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Shes naked! Def lookin forward to your "build-back-up" project. What color for the frame?
Jeffward-are those stock graphics or aftermarket, I like them! Also love the number plate backgrounds too! Where you get those? I want those mirrors too! Yea the klx is slow compared to the bigger bikes, of course it is. It really comes down to the rider. A good rider can toss this lil klx around like a motocrosser. I've climbed some really nasty steep hills on my klx no prob. Its a lil front heavy with all the extra weight up front but really enjoy it. Its one of those "universal tools" you dont leave home without. Hit the trails, go to the store, head to work so you can make money to add more goodies to it.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang
She looks better in pictures than in real life.
Liar...... man you are always into something with that thing arent ya. You gotta do the frame a different color than stock. I would. Id probably do lime green or black. Just so people could see you tore it all the way down. Cool stuff man.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:11 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Haha! Ok, I'll admit that I've seen bikes in worse shape than mine. The thing is that I've already got way more money in it that it's worth. I might as well enjoy puttzing with it.

The frame is going to be black. I was thinking of Kawi green, but the look I'm going for is more like the new 2012's and less like an older KDX. Since I've got the forks apart, the upper stanchion tubes are at the anodizer getting redone in black as well - like the new Husky KYB forks. The swingarm will be silver, but I haven't decided on the color of the other parts like the footpegs, rear rack, etc. Silver, black, something else?

I've got a complete set of new '07 plastic. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the stock graphics or design something new. I'm also going to do something with the headlight.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

progress pics!!!!!!!

I can only imagine the pile of parts in your garage right now.....

Old 12-01-2011, 01:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BleednGreen68
Shes naked! Def lookin forward to your "build-back-up" project. What color for the frame?
Jeffward-are those stock graphics or aftermarket, I like them! Also love the number plate backgrounds too! Where you get those? I want those mirrors too! Yea the klx is slow compared to the bigger bikes, of course it is. It really comes down to the rider. A good rider can toss this lil klx around like a motocrosser. I've climbed some really nasty steep hills on my klx no prob. Its a lil front heavy with all the extra weight up front but really enjoy it. Its one of those "universal tools" you dont leave home without. Hit the trails, go to the store, head to work so you can make money to add more goodies to it.
The graphics are made ​​in the press of a friend, following an idea I had in my mind!: D

Old 12-01-2011, 08:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeffward
The graphics are made ​​in the press of a friend, following an idea I had in my mind!: D
They def look like factory. Good job!

Old 12-02-2011, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member

first moto...new rider...over 4,000 miles on the odometer...few mishaps, but learning...holds 80 mph with no problems on the windy highways...takes all the potholes and cracks in the san francisco streets...agiles and light...been a great ride...few dyi modifications...steering damper, new dog bones, front sprocket replacement and more....will i ever grow out of this moto?..i don't know..

Quick Reply: I love my KLX