I love my KLX

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 09:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I've said many times that my KLR650 is the ONE bike I'd keep, if I had to only have one. However, I don't really ride LONG distances off-road, like I used to do. There is no question than the KLR is more comfortable (partly due to size, partly due to the upgraded suspension is more plush than the KLX's upgraded suspension)....so, I am riding the KLX most of the time. I'm beginning to wonder if I'd keep my KLX and sell the KLR if it came right down to it. The X is more versatile off-road. The R is a much better road bike. But, I have a CB919 for real road riding (even though I've ridden it on some mile off-road adventures!).

Yep, I should change my tune, and begin stating my KLX is my favorite off-road bike.

Now, if I HAD to sell two of them...I'd probably go back and say the KLR as the one bike I'd keep. It would be difficult, though...

Old 11-18-2011, 10:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Just bought new front brake pads for the KLX. I love driving it .. Ive put 10.000 miles on the bike.. (6000 miles on the 351 so far) and it just keeps on ticking. Ive worn out the rear wheel bearings and brake pads and tires and it just keeps on starting right up first time and power is still there.. its a workhorse..

Old 11-19-2011, 08:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by T_i_G_e_R
Just bought new front brake pads for the KLX. I love driving it .. Ive put 10.000 miles on the bike.. (6000 miles on the 351 so far) and it just keeps on ticking. Ive worn out the rear wheel bearings and brake pads and tires and it just keeps on starting right up first time and power is still there.. its a workhorse..
im at 17k with the stock 250, i think its strange that you needed wheel bearings. my bearings feel great. i had to do front pads. thats pretty much it.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Too tight on the rear axle ?

Old 11-19-2011, 01:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
Too tight on the rear axle ?
I wash the bike every time I ride it.. I think thats bad. soap, water, constant washing, plus I weigh 225 Lbs. I torque it to about 40 ft lbs rear nut.. should not bee too tite

Old 11-19-2011, 02:09 PM
1st Gear Member

I think you're correct...too much washing. I've washed my KLX maybe twice in 3000 desert miles. I know you guys riding in mud/dirt probably feel you should wash them more, but, I don't like thinking I'm allowing sand/dust get into the cracks/crevices even further by floating it there via water. I have 10,000 miles on a KLR that's been 95% of the time flogged through the desert...probably with three washings total. I'm amazed the bearings are still very clean and smooth. I re-grease the outside of the bearings every time I have a wheel off. But, at least bearings are cheap!

Old 11-19-2011, 02:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
I think you're correct...too much washing. I've washed my KLX maybe twice in 3000 desert miles. I know you guys riding in mud/dirt probably feel you should wash them more... I re-grease the outside of the bearings every time I have a wheel off. But, at least bearings are cheap!
Good advice, grease is cheap and smear some in between the seal and bearing when the wheel is off. Up here in the PNW the muddy conditions can take its toll on bearings, chains and sprockets. I would like to add that high pressure water sources ie pressure washers have brought many a bearing to an early grave. If anyone is using those things be careful where you point that nozzle, avoid injecting water under seals, electrical connectors, etc etc. Use a garden hose and some elbow grease.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
I think you're correct...too much washing. I've washed my KLX maybe twice in 3000 desert miles. I know you guys riding in mud/dirt probably feel you should wash them more, but, I don't like thinking I'm allowing sand/dust get into the cracks/crevices even further by floating it there via water. I have 10,000 miles on a KLR that's been 95% of the time flogged through the desert...probably with three washings total. I'm amazed the bearings are still very clean and smooth. I re-grease the outside of the bearings every time I have a wheel off. But, at least bearings are cheap!
Hmm.. i dont know.. i wash mine all the time.. except i spray oil eater all over it and let it sit for a second then wash it off. works really well. I ride in mud, sand, rain, creeks.. pretty much everything, and even forget to put it away and it sits in the rain all night lol

Old 11-20-2011, 11:24 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I wash mine quite often..... but my idea of washing is riding in the rain. To hell with that manual labor crap.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I love my KLX250s, but no-one else seems too?

I live in a heavily forested rural area. I ride alone a lot in the woods, some-times I do over night trips. I go to town on the bike a fair bit (110km/h) highway 15km straight, I tuck a surfboard under my arm and ride along soft beaches to get to surf, I ride with a club often that all own orange bikes, and my regular trail riding buddy has a 450exc. Hell am even considering going in the next club enduro with the klx. It does all these things in a reliable and low maintenance fashion. I love the thing.

But no one else does. I am constantly asked when am i going to upgrade. I need a faster bike I am told by my mates in the club, as the klx is not suited to way I ride. People always feel they need to lend me their bikes to experience a real bike (that is a enduro race bike), and whilst I enjoy the power and suspension of these bikes I am not willing to trade off the versatility of the klx. However the surprising thing is all these blokes get off the klx and proceed to tell me that the suspension is simply dangerous, how can you ride that thing etc. They then proceed to tell me what a great rider I am to ride that klx and keep up???? I take offense.

Thing is I have no problem keeping up with them during club trail rides, I would say I am about middle of the pack for most of the day. I believe when riding with others I am riding the bike faster off road than it was designed for, and most likely stressing components such as suspension, clutch, transmission etc. But it takes it and does the job. The rest of the time I can ride my bike in a relaxed DS fashion it was designed for, and it does it far better than any 450 plated enduro would.

For a man that has not been riding that long, is enjoying many different types of motorcycling, learning how to work and maintain a dirt bike and is on a budget (ie not single!) I think the Klx is great.

Quick Reply: I love my KLX