I love my KLX

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 08:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
I also love my 06 and will never sell it. It's weird that an inanimate object could cause so much affection in all of its owners but it just does. Like I've said before, I want to be buried with my bike, cause when I'm gone I know someone will be riding the wife but I don't want anyone else on my KLX. Lol
Dude thats the funniest thing since why did the chicken cross the road haha!!!! im definatley stealing that saying :^)

the klx is awesome! runs great and im super happy with the power now that i gear'd it 14/49. roll on wheelies in 2nd? yes! Still want a 351 kit though =( oh ya and also im paying my klx off this month wahoo!! cant believe ive had it for 3 years already! GO TEAM GREEN!!!!

Old 11-14-2011, 10:58 AM
1st Gear Member

I thought I'd chime in on this KLX vs KTM/BERG discussion since I own both.

Short version first: The KLX is an EXCELLENT dual sport bike. It has a better headlight. It's low center of gravity makes it an easy bike to ride. The stock USD forks are impressive. It's combination of street and trail capabilities are fantastic.

The KTM is a race bike. The engine produces brutal power but at the price of frequent rebuilds. The top end is only designed to last about 300 hours of moderate use. It's suspension makes trail riding easier, but it is anything but an easy ride. At the faster speeds, you have to be on your game 100% of the time. The power can only be described as excessive under most conditions. If you want a full on dirt bike that you can put a license plate on, this is it.
_____

I'll start by saying that I bought my KLX250SF just for my wife. I had no intention of riding it at all. I'm 6'3 and about 230#. Well, the wife is taking her time with the whole bike thing and only has done about 30 miles on it. I, on the other hand, have put over 3000 miles on it.

I'm running the stock 250cc jug uncorked and it's powerful enough to zip along on the highway at 70-75. I've hit 85 on it, but that was pushing it. Even with the SM wheels, you can take it off road and hit the trails. Nothing is out of bounds. See a trail? Ride it. That's what dual-sporting is all about.

I plan on keeping it, doing the 350cc upgrade as well as a bigger tank, FCR carb, bigger seat & small luggage rack. I have absolutely no complaints about how the KLX rides. I can see easily myself doing some longer trips on it. So yea, I like it a lot.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:36 PM
1st Gear Member

only 300 hours ?!?!?! ha ha thats crazy.. I saw a guy last month on a KTM hes been riding around and has 10,000 miles on it its falling apart.. never had a problem with the top end

Old 11-14-2011, 11:38 PM
1st Gear Member

oops.. I just did some calculations.. 300 hours is about 10,000 miles yea that sounds about right.. my bad

Old 11-15-2011, 12:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
I also love my 06 and will never sell it. It's weird that an inanimate object could cause so much affection in all of its owners but it just does. Like I've said before, I want to be buried with my bike, cause when I'm gone I know someone will be riding the wife but I don't want anyone else on my KLX. Lol
Could you put new rubber on both of them before you go?

Old 11-15-2011, 01:09 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 for the KLX fits me perfect in almost every way. I was considering WR but they were more $$ and three seems to be less of them. The reviews say the WR has more power and better suspension......

I love the soft suspension on the KLX, the burning question for me is when your trail riding does anyone have trouble keeping up with the WR?

Old 11-15-2011, 01:56 AM
1st Gear Member

The KLX is def one of those purchases that should have been made sooner. Its at home on the road and off. I actually have more fun riding my klx on the trails rather than my brute and kfx450. Its great being able to just drive the bike to the trails instead of having to load it up in my truck. I need to get that IMS tank sooner.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:00 AM
1st Gear Member

AKAROB, Thanks for the info. I've never ridden one of the big street legal Bergs but on paper it seems light like a KLX with big power for effortless highway cruising. I don't have much interest in riding a race pace off road, don't like getting hurt. I have read that they are less durable.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DYNOBOB
AKAROB, Thanks for the info. I've never ridden one of the big street legal Bergs but on paper it seems light like a KLX with big power for effortless highway cruising. I don't have much interest in riding a race pace off road, don't like getting hurt. I have read that they are less durable.

I have ridden a number of my buddies bikes. I rode a FE450 Berg for about 50 miles... The bergs feel like race bikes, cause they are. The KLX is a all around bike. It does alot well. The only thing i wish was different is more power. I might be doing the 350 kit soon to take care of that. You can spend all day riding trails and such with the klx and ride it home. Bergs... i wouldnt want to. With dual sports everything is a compromise. Bergs are probably better in the woods, suck on road. KLX is pretty good everywhere IMO.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:29 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
Could you put new rubber on both of them before you go?
Hahahaha annnnnnnnnnnd wow!

Quick Reply: I love my KLX